Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Need your knowledge of 125cc bikes !

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kinotabi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:37 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Need your knowledge of 125cc bikes ! Reply with quote

TLDR: I am looking for a 125cc that is the size of a big bike like the honda varadero or Hyosung gt125r (I am 2m or 6'4'')

Hello everyone, I am 2m tall (6'4'') and am looking for a 125cc (125cc because of license) that has the size of a bigger bike so it can be comfortable for me and doesn't look ridiculous. There are currently 2 bikes that I know of that would suit me; Honda varadero 125 and the Hyosung gt125r. The problem is the Honda is a bit out of my price range (at least for the varadero's sold in my country) and the Hyosung is perfect only problem there are no Hyosung garages or dealerships in Belgium (my dad keeps telling me i shouldnt buy Hyosung because of that) I am buying my bike second hand tho so imo i should be fine as I can buy replacement parts online to repair the bike if something happens (?), so yeah if you guys know some bikes as big as the Hyosung or varadero that would be great. Thanks in advance Smile

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope that's the choice

Either put up with smaller until test or

Do tests buy bigger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:11 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derbi Terra Adventure. But they're few and far between.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side the good news is that you'll be able to dominate and flat foot most bikes without blinking twice and therefore remove the fear factor that is the transition between the kids bike of the 125cc category and something with more power.

Simple answer is, if you can afford to, go out and get your license and choose from an endless list of various models depending on what, for you, ticks all the boxes after you've got the golden ticket to freedom.

If you don't need a 125cc then I wouldn't advise getting one. Easier to get the license out the way and make a suitable decision afterwards. Even if you don't get a fireblade there's still plenty mid range commuters with enough poke to raise a smile or two on the commute or weekend run and still be far more entertaining than a 125 ever would, middle ground if you like between the basic and high up's. As I say, though, you'll be in a better place to make an investment post tests.

As above if you're going to get a tiddler regardless of advice, the two models or deal with being cramped as fudge on whatever you endure your stint on until your ready to move up. Oh, possibly supermoto's but your asking to be byklyf'd owning one IMO.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:15 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha WR 125
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha MT 125
KTM 125 Duke
Suzuki DR125SM

You do not want heavy bike like Hyosung, because all 125 lack power. So the lighter the bike the better. Also quality of the ride matters, I mean brakes, suspension, handling.

KTM 125 Duke

Seat height 810mm
Bike weight 128kg

MT 125

Seat height 810mm
Bike weight 138kg

Suzuki DR125SM

Seat height 836mm
Bike weight 121kg

Hyosung

Seat height 795mm
Bike weight 155kg

Not to mention Hyosung is ancient technology and the ride can't be compared to MT or KTM.

If it was me I would get Yamaha MT125. It has the big-bike styling, clever design, quality components and handles and rides brilliantly, it is modern bike and is as close to the big bike that you'll ever have at 125.

see review here:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/yamaha/mt-125/2014/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:33 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Suzuki DR125SM

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/suzuki/dr125sm/2008/

The reviews are half right.

There's loads of suspension sag and it doesn't feel roomy when you're on it.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore njd, he missed tl.dr
Check out lexmoto (or the closest importer) adrenaline or variants of. Depends what you can get, but varadero wins on big bike feel. As above, derbi terra, wr or dr will fit.
Older dt125 or similar are tall, but old and 2 stroke.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:48 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how close you are to France or a more precisely a French distributor but the Zongshen RX1 (new bike) will be distributed in France. Bit lardy but 125 and big.

https://www.motoservices.com/actualite-moto/Zongshen-fait-son-retour-en-France-avec-moto-cyclone-1-pulsion-nov-2016.htm

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:03 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Val wrote:
Suzuki DR125SM

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/suzuki/dr125sm/2008/

The reviews are half right.

There's loads of suspension sag and it doesn't feel roomy when you're on it.

Still probably would have got one over my XR had I known the bike existed. Fuel injection would have made those cold winter starts a little less stressy.

Most of the bikes I have in mind have been mentioned, WR125, Derbi Terra, DT125 SM etc. Not sure about the Duke and MT Val recommends, the Duke's quite a small bike and the MT125 has a surprisingly aggressive riding position (might not be ideal for a tall person).

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

And hard to get parts for... they share a motor with the Mulhacen's and (I think) the GPR125.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Ignore njd, he missed tl.dr

I'm glad to see you've still got the spare time to keep up the game of disagreeing with whatever I say, mucho loveo internet weirdo.

Shame things like this have stopped though, I did our enjoy our little one sided chats:

https://s8.postimg.org/3nieri4ad/kn23.png

Kinotabi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:02 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies they helped me a lot Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

And hard to get parts for... they share a motor with the Mulhacen's and (I think) the GPR125.

It's the same engine as the Aprilia RS4 AFAIK.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:55 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'3. I don't have too much trouble riding many 125's.
If you care what you look like... dont buy a bike.... end-of.
You look daft.
More often WET and daft, and when your don't look wet and daft, you probably look cold, wet and daft.

And no one really cares what you look like....

They are all out to kill you... and thier most common ploy is by NOT looking and just driving into you.....

And them are the ones who are supposed to 'look'.. if they don't take any notice of your very existence, they sure as heck wont be too bothered how 'cool' you look when they pull out on you!!!

Any-one else you hope to impress? Forget it. Bikes do NOT make girls kickers fall down round their ankles... you have better chance of that phenomenon walking a cute puppy dog... And any-one else? Well if they'd be impressed by it, they'd be doing it, and if they are doing it, they wont be impressed by a 125...

Conclusion!!!

Stuff what it looks like, more what you THINK you look like on the damn thing; buy a bike to RIDE.

Folk have been suggesting off-road style machines... which can be as bad as sports-style ones. They may have saddles further from the floor... but that's because the whole bike tends to be jacked up 6" on long soft off-road suspension.... foot-pegs can be even closer to your arse than on a sports-bike, and the riding position just as cramped and contorted. Sports-bikes, are small to begin with, so tend to cramp and contort. Neither are particularly great either for comfort or control or all-round rideability....

Meanwhile; 125 Sports just aren't! Seriously. they are all restricted to euro Licence limits, that make them all pretty much as slow as each other.

So, given that playing field leveler, you might as well go for what 125's can do best, which is offer CHEAP.

The 125 commuters are all pretty much of a much; and they don't sacrifice much, and certainly not pretence of speed for the cost savings, it is mostly just ideas of 'style' they lack.. but even there, lacking pretension, more folk will look at a 'sensible' 125 commuter and see 'sensible' not 'stupid'.

Riding position tends to be pretty neutral, and upright, and 'one-size-fits-all' without scrunching you up too much to fit in a plastic make-believe outfit, or stretching you out twixt training tasstles.... it gives you good visability, good control, and decent balence.

And they are CHEAP, which is what 125's might do best....

Buying a 125 on a primary concern over 'looks' is an expensive way to look daft, and waste money. Especially when you admit you can't afford the bikes you think look better, like a Veradaro...

Which is a story in itself. The Veradaro, was for a long while one of the more popular 125's due to its larger stature, especially with more mature riders. It was also one of THE most expensive, and it's reputation, built on selling mostly to more mature riders has propped up second hand values, and the 'legend' they are a great 125... they were... but they cost more than many 500's when new, you'd damn well expect them to be!

Now, most are well past thier prime; and have lived in a world where little bikes tend not to get best looked after, and many are now suffering from thier reputation, and starting to become money pits in need of dire and expensive attension; for eg, they are a V-Twin with a convoluted exhaust routing, and the exhaust is prone to rot out, and a lot of it is hidden under an expanse of plastic body work helping make the bike look 'big' but more awkward to work on... so... good chance they haven't had too much loving care and attention, and any you will have to tackle will be twice as much work and a lot more expensive than needs be.

You would likely do better with an old CG125... it'll likely be cheaper to buy for starters, and less likely owned by folk more concerned about how they look, so likely more sensible, so likely more diligently looked after.... but given still likely an older and less loved bike, any work needed is a lot easier and cheaper for you to tackle; so many parts common with chinese derivatives, cheap and widely available on e-bay and easy to get at and replace if and when needed.

It's a bike you wont look so 'cool' on to any-one who bother's to look and might be worth impressing with such style.... but it is a bike you'll more comfortably be able to ride, and keep riding, which is what it's all about.... and if you really want to impress girls, save you enough time and money to wash your hands and buy a puppy!

End of the day, you are at the taller end of the range of expected human ergonomics, but bikes is built for that range, and the size of hole in the engine where fire happens is pretty much independent of the distances twixt foot-pegs, seat and handle-bars; you are unlikely to ever find a 'perfect fit' motorcycle, irrespective of engine displacement; so work with what you got, don't make life hard for yourself and chose on the stuff that really matters, NOT on 'style' that really doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1