Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

23 year old on a cbt

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

bill93
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:40 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: 23 year old on a cbt Reply with quote

So im just after some advice, im 23 and i have a 125 at the mo, cbt is coming up for renewal in october... can i renew my cbt and then when im 24 this dec go take the full test ? knowing my luck the bastards will raise the age limit a week before Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:13 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. The CBT validates your provisional entitlement to ride any bike that's age-appropriate. You can do it on a 50cc moped then go out and train on a Hayabusa when you hit 24.

The theory pass also lasts two years so you can get that out of the way good and early too.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:56 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, explain it's a renewal, and with any luck they'll just follow you round the block rather than having to go through it all again. They might even do it a bit cheaper too.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:11 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else to bear in mind is that some schools will use 600cc+ bikes for both A and A2 training, restricted by techno-wizardry for A2 purposes.

So you might be able to do "A2" training while still 23 on the same bike that you can use to pass an "A" test on your 24th birthday. The jump in power from derestricting will be neither here nor there, you won't be using it on test anyway.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:03 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup you can certainly do that. My local school does a half day renewal course so you miss the morning this is a helmet, this is an indicator chat and just get straight to the on the road bit.

It's a valid point made to look at doing the A2 instead of another CBT. Could look at it as a dry run for the A license when you hit 24. If you explain what you intend to do with the school they can book your A license mod 1 and 2 for your 24th birthday, and you just need to pay for a one day bike hire off them basically. This is assuming you can pass the two tests on the same day of course, so a bit of a risk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
It's a valid point made to look at doing the A2 instead of another CBT. Could look at it as a dry run for the A license when you hit 24.

He'll still need a CBT whatever he does. The only other option would be (assuming the OP has a bike) is to go for your A1 license. He'll need a theory pass (£23) which will be good for 2 years, then it's £15.50 for Mod 1 and £75* for Mod 2.

The theory pass he'll need anyway for DAS training, Mod 1 practice's a good idea at £15 a go, the only (financial) risk would really be if he fails Mod 2.

*£88.50 Evenings, weekends and bank holidays

Disclaimer: one possible issue's the whole progressive/direct access argument, which shouldn't be an issue but is due to the retarded system. I believe someone on here got into difficulty when they had an A1 license for under 2 years, and an expired theory when going for their A license. When it comes to CBT I genuinely don't know.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:58 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
He'll still need a CBT whatever he does.

He's got a CBT. Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: 23 year old on a cbt Reply with quote

bill93 wrote:
So im just after some advice, im 23 and i have a 125 at the mo, cbt is coming up for renewal in october... can i renew my cbt and then when im 24 this dec go take the full test ? knowing my luck the bastards will raise the age limit a week before Rolling Eyes

So CBT for that interim period, unless he can get his A1 license.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:10 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's why Roger suggested getting an A2 license.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I think that's why Roger suggested getting an A2 license.

A2 training, so he's ready to go on his birthday for his A tests. Getting an A2 license would make no sense as you'd be paying a school hundreds and then again in a few months time (for your A license).

The BS school I used tried doing that to me, they had a shortage of 'A bikes' so wanted me to take my A2 license, I wasn't having it...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:12 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
A2 training, so he's ready to go on his birthday for his A tests.

Insightful. Just noting that there's no need to wait until 24 to start Big Boy Bike training. Granted they're not likely to be mobbed in December anyway.

bill93
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:58 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies people much appreciated, and yeah i have a 125 now i nip about on
Teflon-Mike This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1