Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBT For car drivers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

AndyCF
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: CBT For car drivers Reply with quote

Smile

1. You can't have any lessons outside of an approved trained driving instructor until you have passed a CBT course (a couple of hours training with an approved instructor) to validate your provisional car licence.

2. If you do not pass your full test within two years your car CBT is invalid and you must retake it to be allowed to have 'private' lessons (such as those given by friends/relatives, anyone not an approved qualified instructor)

3. Upon jumping though some red tape and passing said driving test (eventually) , well done. Now if you may not:

Drive or operate a vehicle that is over either 1200cc or 75bhp

At the age of 24 or after 2 years you may elect to fill the DSA coffers a bit more and take another test to have your licence capacity increased to allow you to drive a car/ light van with any engine size. If you do not do this you will be limited to 1200cc/75hp forever.

If you passed your test when you were aged 24 years or older, your restriction only lasts two years then you may drive whatever engine size you like.

I realise that's a trimmed and slightly less restrictive version of what we have, but I don't think they would stand for it if said "tables were turned" here...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after you pass your car CBT you get to drive around on your own?

AndyCF
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So after you pass your car CBT you get to drive around on your own?

No.
That's just to validate it in the first place. Without that you cannot have "uncle bob" (or whoever) giving you lessons / accompanying you.

In other words you have to have a few hours with a qualified instructor before you can have anyone else 'supervise' you.

Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we have it pretty good then Smile Motorcycle training's backwards IMO, you need longer CBT and less BS when it comes to taking your test. The pre-2013 rules were fine IMO.

I'd like to see different classes with cars, over 2 tonnes needing a different license so we can get a lot of the vans and 4x4's off the road.

Power I don't really care about, insurance restricts most people in that regards... another issue we don't have with bikes Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:11 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pointless bureaucracy.... just what we need. Laughing

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link?

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Link?

Is the hero in Zelda games.

OP is giving a hypothetical situation, not a reality. Smile

AndyCF
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its purely a 'tongue in cheek / hypothetical' thing. I'm sorry if anyone assumed it was real. Sad Was not my intention.

Quote:
I realise that's a trimmed and slightly less restrictive version of what we have, but I don't think they would stand for it if said "tables were turned" here...

Just to quote myself a bit, more a 'how do you like it' thing. Then again those making the rules have usually ( ? ) had full car licences for donkey's years. I'm not in favour of retests every few years but very basic tests say every 10 would not be a bad idea such as a sight test and possibly hazard awareness, nothing more needed I feel.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the news they had something about introducing a sat nav element to the driving test Neutral Seems to be all gimmicks rather than an effort to improve the standard of driving.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem having a retest every 10 years. You'd get rid of people who's standards have slipped or those who scraped through to begin with.

AndyCF
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
On the news they had something about introducing a sat nav element to the driving test Neutral Seems to be all gimmicks rather than an effort to improve the standard of driving.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem having a retest every 10 years. You'd get rid of people who's standards have slipped or those who scraped through to begin with.

I think that would be the issue as potentially you'd have some "Turkeys voting for Christmas" as such. They would not want to cut themselves off.

There does seem to be too many odd things in the test now though from what I gather. I do agree its probably just to make it harder to pass / gimmicks rather than anything to really do with the standard of driving generally.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyCF wrote:
Its purely a 'tongue in cheek / hypothetical' thing. I'm sorry if anyone assumed it was real. Sad Was not my intention.

I did initially, as I skim read it and it looked like you were reporting.

My bad.

Car drivers get it all too easy in comparison to bikerists fo sho.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyCF wrote:
I think that would be the issue as potentially you'd have some "Turkeys voting for Christmas" as such. They would not want to cut themselves off.

Christmas was invented by the turkey self-extinction movement.

I think your rules need looking at from more angles. For example, you won't get a van under 1200cc, I think a fiesta or corsa van is a 1.3CDTi at minimum. That means you've effectively banned the next generation from trade jobs.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no point in CBT for cars 'cos you can't drive solo without a full licence. Power restrictions are pointless since power isn't a significant factor in most new driver accidents, and last and by no means least insurance is a massive limiting factor. Fancy four grand a year to insure a YBR125? Thought not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyCF wrote:
M.C wrote:

There does seem to be too many odd things in the test now though from what I gather. I do agree its probably just to make it harder to pass / gimmicks rather than anything to really do with the standard of driving generally.

I think they've made it easier to pass. I took mine in 2012, at no point in learning to drive did we practice an emergency stop, and that wasn't on the test either (apparently they can ask you to do one). All I had to do was parallel park, and some independent driving which was following a left/right/left type instruction, and then a sign posted destination.

Sounds like they're going to remove reversing around a corner/three point turn in exchange for this sat nav bollocks. I didn't realise following a sat nav was more important than being able to safely turn your car around Thinking

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:24 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognise that my experience is about 15 years out of date, but I was under the impression that bikers still get a much easier ride than car drivers.

To get into a car at 17, I would need to:
- Do about 20 hours of lessons with an instructor. I could be taught a bit on the side by someone else, but not to test standard. I think I did about 20 lessons back in 2002.
- Do my theory, do my test.
- Buy a small car
- Pay approx £4k/year for insurance on said small car for 3 years or so.

Meanwhile, to get on a bike at 17:
- Do CBT
- Spend less on everything
- Ride
- Do additional tests when I'm older to ride something bigger.

There are edge cases. There's always someone who gets a brand new Impreza (or current fast car of your choosing) for their 17th birthday and their parents pay for everything, but these cases are rare. I suspect there are more cases of baaklaffers riding an R6 with the number plate from a YBR125 on it.

And don't start suggesting everyone should take their test every 10 years. It's bad enough giving DVSA examiners the power to irritate children, imagine if they could take away licences from real people.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't see how the CBT is long for this earth.

On rural roads, sure, big bikes are dangerous and fast and that and you might die on a corner and stuff.

In the vast majority of actual use in cities, what's the difference between a CBF125 and an S1000RR? You're getting taken out when you filter or at a junction.

Consider cars. Is a performance car actually more dangerous than a Fiat 500? I reckon it's more down to the groups of people that would actually buy and use the cars. If you rag a shitbox and take corners at silly speeds you're in the shit regardless.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I recognise that my experience is about 15 years out of date, but I was under the impression that bikers still get a much easier ride than car drivers.

To get into a car at 17, I would need to:
- Do about 20 hours of lessons with an instructor. I could be taught a bit on the side by someone else, but not to test standard. I think I did about 20 lessons back in 2002.
- Do my theory, do my test.
- Buy a small car
- Pay approx £4k/year for insurance on said small car for 3 years or so.

Meanwhile, to get on a bike at 17:
- Do CBT
- Spend less on everything
- Ride

There are edge cases. There's always someone who gets a brand new Impreza (or current fast car of your choosing) for their 17th birthday and their parents pay for everything, but these cases are rare. I suspect there are more cases of baaklaffers riding an R6 with the number plate from a YBR125 on it.

And don't start suggesting everyone should take their test every 10 years. It's bad enough giving DVSA examiners the power to irritate children, imagine if they could take away licences from real people.

Did you purposely make lots of steps for the car and compress them for the bike?

To get your A2:
1 CBT
2 Theory test
3 Mod1
4 Mod2
**Lessons ETC £600? (could be done on own bike so might not be needed for all)

Then the A1
Wait 2 years and:

DAS £600?
1 Mod 1
2 Mod 2

Bunching that into 'doing additional tests' is a little harsh.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Pay a school hundreds when you already know how to ride. I think it cost me £800 in total to learn to drive, getting my bike license ~£460 (including theory/CBT etc.). For people having to 'progress' (A2 then A) it's a comparable cost to learning to drive and I'm willing to bet completely unnecessary in a lot of cases.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:26 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better still, make every able bodied person ride a 125 (after doing a CBT) for a year before letting them near a car. Laughing

EDIT: ...ensuring that they rack up x amount of road hours on the bike. They could be chipped and the bike have a 'black box' to ensure no cheating.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:33 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: CBT For car drivers Reply with quote

AndyCF wrote:
Smile

1. You can't have any lessons outside of an approved trained driving instructor until you have passed a CBT course (a couple of hours training with an approved instructor) to validate your provisional car licence.

2. If you do not pass your full test within two years your car CBT is invalid and you must retake it to be allowed to have 'private' lessons (such as those given by friends/relatives, anyone not an approved qualified instructor)

3. Upon jumping though some red tape and passing said driving test (eventually) , well done. Now if you may not:

Drive or operate a vehicle that is over either 1200cc or 75bhp

At the age of 24 or after 2 years you may elect to fill the DSA coffers a bit more and take another test to have your licence capacity increased to allow you to drive a car/ light van with any engine size. If you do not do this you will be limited to 1200cc/75hp forever.

If you passed your test when you were aged 24 years or older, your restriction only lasts two years then you may drive whatever engine size you like.

Question Rolling Eyes Confused Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 11:38 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it aint broken dont fix it

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Better still, make every able bodied person ride a 125 (after doing a CBT) for a year before letting them near a car. Laughing

EDIT: ...ensuring that they rack up x amount of road hours on the bike. They could be chipped and the bike have a 'black box' to ensure no cheating.

I kinda like the idea. I had to do a course through work they they took a bunch of truckers and bus drivers and sent them out on bicycles, and it did actually help them to see things from another road users perspective.

Meef wrote:
if it aint broken dont fix it

I do feel like there needs to be some sort of ongoing assessment. Doesn't seem right you can be an awful driver, scrape through and then have a license for the next 50 years. I think a lot of people slip into bad habits very quickly as well (stop using mirrors/indicators etc.)

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:17 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
I think your rules need looking at from more angles. For example, you won't get a van under 1200cc, I think a fiesta or corsa van is a 1.3CDTi at minimum. That means you've effectively banned the next generation from trade jobs.

White van man gets a pardon Laughing special insurance and all that.

I think its an interesting idea (i wouldn't if i was 17 again though)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1