Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Frame Courier ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

AndyCF
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Frame Courier ? Reply with quote

I was thinking about this a while back but after a cursory Google search did not look further.

As a kind of long term 'project' I had thoughts about buying a frame (with V5 and I'd check it was legit first) Smile but as I have no sensible transport to get it here my thoughts turned to having it posted.

Trouble is some sellers say "collect only" and most of the usual couriers like things wrapped up.

Aside from say hiring a car or something and going miles to collect, are there any places that would collect / deliver a frame 'as is' ? They would have to be reasonably reliable as it would not be fair to expect the seller to wait in all day for collection either.

We are probably talking just frame here, ie: no wheels no forks just frame itself.

Thanks. Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:30 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If something has to be collected and isn't in a parcel it starts to get very expensive to pay someone to do it.

It's easier to hire a van.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar dilemma with bicycles. You can get a box sent out but it'll be a specific dimension, probably too small for a motorcycle frame. I couldn't find a courier willing to collect a loose bike.

I think your best bet would be a proper motorcycle transporter and seeing if they could help. Alternatively use something like Shipley.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:54 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold an srad frame on ebay sent it through p4d just wrapped it in bubblewrap without any problems Thumbs Up

AndyCF
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
I sold an srad frame on ebay sent it through p4d just wrapped it in bubblewrap without any problems Thumbs Up

I think that's the thing some vendors will not want the trouble of that, they would just want someone to appear and take it away.

To be fair I've not been cheeky enough to ask for wrapping but I've not really seen anything that immediately would be worth asking for (if that makes sense)

It is just that I do notice from general browsing around that quite a lot are "collect only" so I was wondering how others had got on and managed with this when it was a distance away really. Smile

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:

I would go with this and cover the bubble wrap in brown paper.
Postal bitches love brown paper.

In fairness any time I've ordered tyres they came wrapped in bubbles.
So unless it breaches the couriers size/weight restrictions then I can't see a problem.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 18:33 - 15 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Frame Courier ? Reply with quote

AndyCF wrote:
some sellers say "collect only" and most of the usual couriers like things wrapped up.

Aside from say hiring a car or something and going miles to collect, are there any places that would collect / deliver a frame 'as is' ? They would have to be reasonably reliable as it would not be fair to expect the seller to wait in all day for collection either.

Wot you said, really - no courier is likely to give the seller a particularly short pick-up window; that and the wrapping thing is precisely why people say 'collection only'! - obviously they are aware that by doing so they are greatly reducing their selling market.

If this is ebay, at least check with the seller before winning their auction on the basis that they'll be prepared to accommodate you like this.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:37 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:

Why? Even the typical courier will have trouble breaking a tyre whilst slinging it in/out their van.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:40 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

collect only on ebay does tend to keep the price down I bought a frame engine wiring loom for a gsxr 750wn on ebay for £100 was a 3 hour drive
but worth it for that price! all I need to get now is some enthusiasm to finish the fecking thing Crying or Very sad

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Commuter_Tim wrote:

Why? Even the typical courier will have trouble breaking a tyre whilst slinging it in/out their van.

I also ordered other stuff, they put that inside the tyre so I guess just to hold it all together.

That being said, most couriers will have had wooden pallets in the back too.
Large spike of wood hitting the inside of the tyre could easily damage the lining. (although what significance said damage is I don't know)

Edit: Thinking about it now, it was white plastic wrapped, scenario and reasons are the same I would assume tho, wrapped is wrapped.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 19:28 - 15 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The droids at Amazon would bubble-wrap a roll of bubble wrap if you bought one. Not even joking Shocked

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyvan.com

Put in rough details of what it is and where, receive dozens of emails back with quotes, go with cheapest.

I got a whole bike taken from Kent to Leeds for £65.
I imagine that was mostly because going straight up the M1 is a popular route though.

AndyCF
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

Oh I'd never try to stitch the seller up by asking after (even though it has happened to me on occasion with a few bits I've done as collect only) , I'd ensure we reached some agreement before I bid / purchased.

I was just really thinking / planning ahead as such. Cool

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A frame will fit in your average car without issue - you could just hire one or enlist a friend. I carried a CG125 frame on the back of an ER6 once. I was also going to do the same with a CX500 frame (a bit trickier) but had access to the car in the end so didn't need to.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fit a whole Suzuki gp 100 in a ford fiesta

Not sure of problem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing he doesn't have access to a rage cage. You also have to factor in fuel if you're going to collect.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask on BCF if anyone is going from xxx to zzz and would be happy to collect in exchange for a few beer tokens?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:36 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and collect it on your bike. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
collect only on ebay does tend to keep the price down I bought a frame engine wiring loom for a gsxr 750wn on ebay for £100 was a 3 hour drive
but worth it for that price! all I need to get now is some enthusiasm to finish the fecking thing Crying or Very sad

Generally I think part prices are inflated by dealers/breakers but collection only does kill the market. I saw a mudguard go for a quid (breakers want £20+) and this tank which I am gutted I missed. This dealer wants £350 for the same tank.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1