Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TomTom Rider 400

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: TomTom Rider 400 Reply with quote

Has anyone got or used a TomTom 400

Not sure whether to put this here or in geek but I am having issues with mine.

It works fine, but when I haven't got a route planned, after a short while it changes into a demo mode with pictures and how to video's until I touch the screen again.

I've looked on line and all I can find is that it doesn't do it with a route plumbed in. I know that, what I want to know is how to turn the demo off so the map, speed cameras etc. run continuously when a route is not entered. It's very distracting to have what is basically a mini television playing in your line of sight while riding.

I can't find anything on the TomTom user forum but I suppose I shall have to join and make myself look stupid if I can't fix this. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were, er, senior? What you doing messing with that dark wizardry? No good will come of it, you know.

Here, this should help:

https://travel.michelin.co.uk/index.asp?function=search
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have my TomTom handy to see if this works but try options, demo, off.

Their forums seem to suggest that this will work. Yours is going into demo mode (for displays in shops and the like) as you don't have a route planned in and it thinks you aren't using it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I thought you were, er, senior? What you doing messing with that dark wizardry? No good will come of it, you know.

Here, this should help:

https://travel.michelin.co.uk/index.asp?function=search

Dark wizardry or not, I don't fancy a £100 fine and 6 points because some eagle eyed copper accuses me of watching Strictly come dancing on my sat nav. Thumbs Up

and Senior? you make me sound like an old dog.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.KWEu7qQ4edxC8qiskjSxcAEsEs&pid=15.1

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I don't have my TomTom handy to see if this works but try options, demo, off.

Their forums seem to suggest that this will work. Yours is going into demo mode (for displays in shops and the like) as you don't have a route planned in and it thinks you aren't using it.

I can't find that Waffles.

Menu is: Search, Plan a Thrill, My routes, Ride home, Current route, Phone, Start recording, My places, Parking, Petrol station, Tomtom services, trip statistics, settings.

So settings is: Appearance, Bluetooth, Voices, Maps, Route planning, Sounds, Language & Units, System.

System has: About, Your information and privacy, Battery settings, Format memory card, reset.

And thats it. No demo mode anywhere. Evil or Very Mad

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a "drum-reset", hold power button until you hear the drum sounds, plan a route and ride it for a few miles. It should automatically decide that it's no longer in a shop. My rider 410 does this whenever I do a full wipe.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:38 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What system version are you running?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Try a "drum-reset", hold power button until you hear the drum sounds, plan a route and ride it for a few miles. It should automatically decide that it's no longer in a shop. My rider 410 does this whenever I do a full wipe.

Did that - still going into demo mode. Evil or Very Mad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:10 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
What system version are you running?

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom forums are plastered with all sorts of problems with the newer Riders. TomTom appears slow down to be fixing them all. Seems like they shipped a half baked product.

I hadn't updated my year old 400 just incase it stopped working, but i did yesterday, haven't had a play yet.

Mine suffers from condensation inside the screens which is apparently a common problem...

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the version I'm running, was out today and last night without a route planned. Was fine. Return to retailer.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look through the menus on my 400, I can't see any demo mode options either.
I'm running the latest firmware/updates (I usually hook it up once a week to get the latest speed camera updates and anything else that's available) and I've never seen it go into a demo mode.
Maybe try a factory reset - settings->System->Reset->Reset

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interwebbing seems to suggest that they come ready to run a demo mode but setting the first programmed route is supposed to disable it. There is talk of system resets but one guy who appeared to be responding on behalf of TomTom went as far as suggesting a full software reinstall.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1