Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Biker - New Bike - Keeway RVK 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adam_89
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:32 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: New Biker - New Bike - Keeway RVK 125 Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm new to the forum, have my CBT in the morning and pick up my bike next weekend!

I first rode a 50cc scooter around 8 years ago, which was unfortunately stolen after less than 2 months! As i was learning to drive (a car) at the time i didn't get another.

Fast forward 8 years the wife and I share a car, with us planning​ on starting a family I've managed to convince her a bike is a better and cheaper option of giving us both transport for (if and) when the baby arrives!

So I've opted for a new bike, gives me piece of mind with a warranty and I'll know how every miles has been driven.

I know the brand gets some stick but having done as much research as i could i couldn't mind much to dissuade me.

Anyway... Hello everyone! Be good to see anyone else who has an RKV and chat about your experience of it so far!

Wish me luck for the morning, having 8 years car driving experience and having done a CBT once before I'm not too nervous but as with everything never know how it will go!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bigvern72
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:09 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about the same money you can get a year or two old 'reputable' bike (maybe even from a franchised dealer for a bit of added protection) which will hold its value much better when you come to trade up to a bigger bike; which your gonna wanna do.

Example

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704104257776?sort=sponsored&maximum-mileage=5000&postcode=cv61la&advertising-location=at_bikes&make=HONDA&radius=1501&year-from=2015&cc-to=125&cc-from=125&page=1

But if your mind is made up then good luck and have fun. Summer is soon here

Adam_89
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:36 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigvern72 wrote:
For about the same money you can get a year or two old 'reputable' bike (maybe even from a franchised dealer for a bit of added protection) which will hold its value much better when you come to trade up to a bigger bike; which your gonna wanna do.

Example

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704104257776?sort=sponsored&maximum-mileage=5000&postcode=cv61la&advertising-location=at_bikes&make=HONDA&radius=1501&year-from=2015&cc-to=125&cc-from=125&page=1

But if your mind is made up then good luck and have fun. Summer is soon here

Hi mate really appreciate your reply Thumbs Up

I had looked at that exact bike actually during my search, i really didn't like the skinny tyres though.

Hoping to get my full licence next year but got a lot to fork out for this year so wasn't going to be possible. Hopefully a year or so on the road should get me a years no claims and enough time to save up for my full licence and a bigger bike!

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:07 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: New Biker - New Bike - Keeway RVK 125 Reply with quote

Adam_89 wrote:
So I've opted for a new bike, gives me piece of mind with a warranty

Rated "Funny". The warranty is only as good as the dealer and the importer backing it. The importer is MotoGB, who import (today, who knows what tomorrow will bring) 8 other brands, and consequently won't give a stuff about any of them.

What you've bought there is an obsolete Euro 3 carb fuelled bike with no advanced braking system, for about £500 less than a brand new fuel injected combined-brake Honda CB125F or Yamaha YS125. That's before haggling, and I expect the Keeway was "It's take it or leave it at this price, mate."

Parts will be a lottery, and I'd expect the dealer's Customer Service Representative will be Mr Fang in the kennel round back.

When you come to sell it, and you will, you'll get absolutely rinsed on depreciation, and will lose a lot more than that £500.

I'm sorry that this isn't what you want to hear, but it's the plain facts. If there's any way you can get out of that deal, I'd urge you to do so, and have another think about it.

Noice choice, mate, should be pukka. Thumbs Up

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

having been through a similar situation with having a baby and a bike have you thought about how you are going to transport said baby if wife has car

I used to have to rely on family to move me and my daughter around
I now drive and have my own car but it was a nightmare

wife was at work and daughter at my mums I either had to wait for her to finish work and collect or for my mum to bring her back

also what roger said

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:43 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the post / sig looks like you've bought it already?

If so little late for the oh sh*t moment and all you can really do is try and take absolute best care of it you can and I'd really double up on your normal checks before going anywhere and at the first sign of trouble try to sort it.

Ultimately you could end up with one that turns out fine and has no problem... (or you sell it before a problem) but the probability is lower than from a mainstream brand.

If you haven't - then +1 roger said.

You're going to be sitting on busy roads amongst other bigger vehicles. with nothing but this thing between your legs going 50mph+ reliant on it to behave how it should. The extra cash for a more reliable/better one seems worth it to me.

Bigvern72
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
having been through a similar situation with having a baby and a bike have you thought about how you are going to transport said baby if wife has car

I used to have to rely on family to move me and my daughter around
I now drive and have my own car but it was a nightmare

wife was at work and daughter at my mums I either had to wait for her to finish work and collect or for my mum to bring her back

also what roger said

When I was a young father and my wife had the car I'd use the bus to get about with my daughter and two sons. Shock horror Shocked

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:58 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2 what Roger said.

Do yourself a favour, get yourself a proper branded bike rather than a chinky knock off.

Welcome btw! Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:11 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, Keeway seem to be one of the better manufacturers. I regularly see older Superlights kicking around in decent condition.

But buying a brand new (but still old tech) RKV now for ~£2200 OTR, I wouldn't.

It looks like Keeway aren't bothering with Euro4, so they'll only be able to register a few more Euro3 bikes under the 20% grandfather clause before DVLA Computer Says No. At that point, you can probably forget about MotoGB doing parts support and you'll be sourcing parts direct from China-China-China.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:32 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

But buying a brand new (but still old tech) RKV now for ~£2200 OTR, I wouldn't.

Me confused. Eh?

Isn't price the main attraction of a hinky chui 125 compared to Japanese rivals, £2200 can get you a CBF with a couple of hundred miles on it - granted CBFs aren't known for their build quality but still superior to teh Chinese counterparts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:02 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro4 bollocks has pushed the price of new Chinese bikes over £2K. Fuel injection, ABS or CBS, OBD, anti tamper and all the rest. Lexmoto's cheapest Euro4 bike is ~£2250 OTR.

It kicked in on January 1st 2017[*]. There are still 0-mile Euro3 bikes for sale but they're pre-registered or being registered in limited numbers under the temporary "20% of the previous two year's sales" grandfather clause.

Even the 2017 Keeways look to be Euro3, so they're essentially obsolete stock in a going out of business sale. Without the sale.

Again, sorry to OP for pointing this out. Facts be all Buzz Killington.

[*] Should have been 2016 for many bikes, but DVLA ignored tat.

Bald_Eagle1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the Euro 4 compliant Yamaha YS125 (replacement for the non-compliant YBR) are advertised new 'from' £2799.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/urban-mobility/ys125.aspx

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought is that you're over 24, so why a 125?
If there's any way of backing out on the 125 then do it.
Get your DAS and suddenly the special '125 requirement' purchase tax disappears along with the 'rape and pillage' 125 insurance costs...

You don't have to get a 600 - 1,000cc bike when you've passed your test but the ability to look at whatever comes up 'on a deal' is a real wallet saver.
Add to this that a 125 is hard work for anything more than town work, so you're limiting yourself to fighting over a car whenever you need to do more than 50 mile (and I guarantee you'll lose that fight!). Even for town work there's little difference between a 125cc and a 250cc, so you wouldn't be losing there (a few less mpg but a shedload less necessary maintenance and insurance cost).

All 'IMO' .

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Euro4 bollocks has pushed the price of new Chinese bikes over £2K. Fuel injection, ABS or CBS, OBD, anti tamper and all the rest. Lexmoto's cheapest Euro4 bike is ~£2250 OTR.

It kicked in on January 1st 2017[*]. There are still 0-mile Euro3 bikes for sale but they're pre-registered or being registered in limited numbers under the temporary "20% of the previous two year's sales" grandfather clause.

Even the 2017 Keeways look to be Euro3, so they're essentially obsolete stock in a going out of business sale. Without the sale.

Again, sorry to OP for pointing this out. Facts be all Buzz Killington.

[*] Should have been 2016 for many bikes, but DVLA ignored tat.

They seem to be as low as £1600 OTR on eBay, which's still pretty much take your pick of the 125 market money. It might work out for the OP, that's just a fairly large and unnecessary hit on depreciation to take.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

It looks like Keeway aren't bothering with Euro4,

Nope, looks like Keeway are very much embracing Euro 4, here's 1 example, relevant to the OP

https://youtu.be/l2bQCPz8itw

There are others. I personally haven't ridden any Keeways, but, seen quite a few around, and for the most part the owners seem quite happy

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: New Biker - New Bike - Keeway RVK 125 Reply with quote

Adam_89 wrote:

So I've opted for a new bike, gives me piece of mind with a warranty and I'll know how every miles has been driven.

Which piece?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:22 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

It looks like Keeway aren't bothering with Euro4,

Nope, looks like Keeway are very much embracing Euro 4

Ah, I was going by Keeway UK which still says carb, but I've just noticed that it's the same link for all RKVs.

I've no reason to believe that it'll be any worse than a CB125F or YS, just that when OP gets buyer's regrets in 2 months, he'll be lucky to get a 4-figure offer for it.

Adam_89
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:54 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you (i think) to most of the replies... To answer a couple of questions:

I'll mainly be making the short journey to work so not overly concerned about power / speed for now.

I can't afford my direct access yet but needed to get something on the road, as I've been able to finance the bike it's been the best option for me and I'm quite happy.

I plan on looking after and maintaining the bike to the best of my ability and within the guidelines from the dealer and manufacturer so hopefully as with any bike this should prolong it's lifespan and keep it running as it should.

Not had any replies from anyone who's actually owned one yet or even anyone with anything negative specific to this new model, so just the usual 'it's going to be crap and I can't wait to say I told you so' comments, not so helpful.

I completed my CBT yesterday, it went quite well. Would have preferred it not to P*ss it down all day but all good experience I reckon. Mastering the slow moving clutch and accelerator control took a few attempts so planning to practice that once the bike is here! Also read a thread about this, someone competing their MOD1 and people advising to let the clutch out and just use rear braking and throttle, will have to have a further look at this and give it a try in an open space!

I do plan on completing my licence before the CBT runs out but need to save up, got a lot on this year to fork out for.

I appreciate that a lot of you have vast amounts of experience but I know myself and I think a year or so mastering the controls of a bike after 8 years lazily driving a car with probably a fair amount of bad habits is going to be hard to shake! I read another thread which was quite similar and someone replied that their father had been a bike instructor and he guided his son down a similar path, working his way through the sizes in sensible steps. It might not be to everyone's preference but I think a bit less negativity and a bit more respect for personal preference wouldn't go a miss from some of the replies.

I fully respect everyone's replies and opinions, although some are not very welcoming or friendly. Like i say you're all more experienced than me but it's not always as straight forward as forking out 5/600 for direct access and then affording to buy and insure a big(ger) bike.

Thanks 👍🏻

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:57 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_89 wrote:
I've been able to finance the bike

Not at 8.9%? Shocked

Adam_89 wrote:
Not had any replies from anyone who's actually owned one yet or even anyone with anything negative specific to this new model, so just the usual 'it's going to be crap and I can't wait to say I told you so' comments, not so helpful.

Two people intimated that.

The rest of us are advocating that you get out of the deal so that we don't get to say "told you so". Can you imagine how much that pains us?

I've had two Chinese made bikes, I'm not bagging on them, and the Keeway is likely to be as good or better than Honda and Yamaha's current (Chinese made) commuters. Its the price of ownership renting it that's the issue, particularly the resale value.

Bear in mind that new, unregistered YBR125s are asking £2400. Heck, you can get a pre-reg CB125F for £2300.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1