Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

More brake pad questions.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: More brake pad questions. Reply with quote

My rear pads on the Trophy are worn. Obviously OEM and worn in 4000 miles. I have no idea who made the pads but the calipers are Nissin. Triumph part PFKL2151711, PAD SET, TT2450GG, £ 35.17

I'm not paying that when they wear out stupidly fast.

Now EBC sintered are £23.98 and EBC organic are £17.02 from Wemoto. They are even cheaper on ebay.

Question. I have never fitted anything but sintered however I'm presuming my bike did not come with sintered pads all round (can't see anything to say they are or not) and I'm not replacing perfectly good pads on the front at a cost of £100.

Sintered on the back and organic on the front with a linked braking system with ABS. Would there be any issues?

Would the sintered last longer. Should I try something other than EBC.

At the moment I am veering towards EBC organic. Decisions decisions.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticky rear caliper, or rear brake lever need adjusting?
Pads might be making constant contact to wear that quickly.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Sticky rear caliper, or rear brake lever need adjusting?
Pads might be making constant contact to wear that quickly.

It seems the linked braking system eats rear pads. There are comments on the Trophy website. Others said on an earlier thread about sticking calipers but the brake is never hot and when I took it off to check the pads, everything moved pretty freely.

I just want to know if anyone has mixed bake pads that way round. I don't want the rear ABS kicking in before the front has done it's job which is my worry with sintered back and organic front.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently have organic on the front and sintered on the back (K1 GSXR1000).

I'm not dead so it can't be all bad. Front provides ample stopping power just lack that bite sintered give you. Brakes are not linked though and the back only really gets touched at low speeds or to bring the front down.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Currently have organic on the front and sintered on the back (K1 GSXR1000).

I'm not dead so it can't be all bad. Front provides ample stopping power just lack that bite sintered give you. Brakes are not linked though and the back only really gets touched at low speeds or to bring the front down.

That's what concerns me. I cannot operate the rear independently. If I could all would be fine as on a normal bike I just use the rear for balance and the front for the serious stopping. On mine, if you don't use the rear pedal and therefore the combined front and rear linked calipers, along with the front lever you are seriously reducing your braking ability.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:32 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though linked braking is supposed to be very safe, what concerns me (and this is why I am glad I have not got a bike with it ATM) is what happens, when with linked brakes, if one needs to apply braking during a slow speed turn? I always use my rear, for example, during u-turns to balance out the progress. Using the front brake on a bike in this situation is very likely to have one off pronto. Gentle use of the rear reduces the speed without shifting the weight on to the front end enough to topple one off.
For instance, I even heard recently of one of our cub members who came off at slow speed on a slight turn when his engine cut out. So using a linked system, operating the rear pedal would bring on both brakes? No thanks.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some very good semi-metal or organic pads out there. Sintered are just quicker for the manufacturer to produce. Wink

Personally in the rear I wouldn't bother with sintered. A semi-metal or organic pad is more than good enough.

You can pick up Galfer semi-metal pads for £14.95 on eBay and they're a very good pad for the money.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: More brake pad questions. Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Sintered on the back and organic on the front with a linked braking system with ABS. Would there be any issues?

If your ABS is 2 channel, then if you lock the rear or front it temporarily releases that end only. Shouldn't be a problem.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petemate wrote:

For instance, I even heard recently of one of our cub members who came off at slow speed on a slight turn when his engine cut out. So using a linked system, operating the rear pedal would bring on both brakes? No thanks.....

Not all linked brakes work that way. e.g. some BMW's let you use just the rear. I've found them to be unexpectedly powerful at first but you'd soon get used to it.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:06 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Not all linked brakes work that way. e.g. some BMW's let you use just the rear. I've found them to be unexpectedly powerful at first but you'd soon get used to it.

Ah, thanks Hong Kong Phooey. So a bit more research then as to which bikes have which type of system. Can't afford a BMW though......
Ta again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is an utterly ludicrously over complicated system with the rear brake pedal operating the rear brake and 2 of the four pistons in the right hand front brake caliper. Add into this some sort of smart balancing between the front and rear calipers, independent front and rear ABS plus traction control you can see what a fuck off nightmare Triumph have created.

OK, it works. It will stop the bike but why oh why can't we just have front brake on the handlebars and rear brake on the pedal. The ABS/Brake 'brain' costs £1171.17p Shocked

FFS, If I still have the bike when that dies it's cgoing to get a conversion to a simple brake system.

As for my rear pads, I'll try those semi metal that Wafer_Thin_Ham suggests Thumbs Up

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:49 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: More brake pad questions. Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
TT2450GG

I would guess that the GG means they are not sintered. Based on this I'd stick some boring organic EBC pads in and see what they're like Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: More brake pad questions. Reply with quote

Snod Blatter wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
TT2450GG

I would guess that the GG means they are not sintered. Based on this I'd stick some boring organic EBC pads in and see what they're like Thumbs Up

Good point, I didn't pick up on that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1