Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Few running issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kalamari183
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:01 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Few running issues Reply with quote

Got a Keeway RKV 125 at the end of last December and for the past few days I have been having problems with acceleration and warming the engine up. The throttle issue put into a bit of detail is basically when I change gear and put on the throttle it wouldn't set in for about a second before jolting forward and only then speeding up. This wouldn't happen all the time but mostly during the first 30 minutes of riding. Then it would only do this in 4th gear. I basically give the same throttle response for each gear change and I don't get why it's specifically 4th.

Bike is at 5k miles and am getting a service every 2k miles, spraying the chain once a week (I ride every day).

After warming the bike up it would always cut out when coming to a stop. I'm forced to keep the choke on fully for a while, to avoid the engine dying at traffic lights.

Update: Today I had quite an issue. At the front of a traffic light after about 40 minutes of riding, the throttle issue noted in the first paragraph had still been occurring. I give plenty of revs (4-5k) when setting off as low revs weren't enough to power me away. When I set off the bike died at about 10 mph forcing me to a stop as I tried to reignite the engine and rev away. However I couldn't so I had to pull to the side. The bike had idled when I came to stops before at just under 2k revs so I don't get why at THAT stop when I tried to set off it decided to die on me.

After pulling to the side I could only start the engine with the choke on and that's far past when the engine is simply warmed up. I guess I just have to wait till I can see the mechanic.

Cheers

Last edited by kalamari183 on 14:10 - 17 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:21 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture doesn't look like a cable to me...... Shocked

I am sure a more mechanically minded person will be along presently, but that looks to me like a vacuum tube to me, is there a sticky out little pipe on the engine for it to connect to?

kalamari183
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:25 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tube would be a better way to put it but after finding it dangling down I tried to find something on the engine to connect it. No luck though.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:59 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a vent pipe. It allows air to get in and out of the crab when fuel goes in and out of the float bowl. it's completely normal and should be just hanging down, though not just there.

Have you tugging on it? It should normally be run down the back of the engineand then hanging in front of the swingarm.

https://i.imgur.com/PrwA43L.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/L23CHiX.jpg

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 20:07 - 16 Apr 2017; edited 6 times in total

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the service manual it is (or appears to be) the "discharging oil tube".
Link to manual here : https://www.slideshare.net/DanielRosario1/keeway-superlight-125-service-manual

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:02 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Carburetor cable loose? No idea. Few other issues Reply with quote

kalamari183 wrote:
and the throttle losing power then jumping forward when accelerating in 2nd and 4th gear,

It either does it in all gears or none. I'd be looking at operator error.

kalamari183
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:14 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled it from where you mentioned it should be hanging, as it looked out of place to me. I've put it back down where it's meant to be, but I suppose it's just onto the other issues. I'm sure there's answers around the forum but I just can't seem to find them.

Cheers Nobby

@ the throttle issue. Put in better detail, after closing the throttle to change gears and then accelerating again after releasing the clutch, it doesn't accelerate right away as it used to. After around 1 second it would jolt forward and then accelerate properly. With the choke on fully it accelerates perfectly well instead of jolting or not accelerating for a second.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:40 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalamari183 wrote:

Cheers Nobby

@ the throttle issue. Put in better detail, after closing the throttle to change gears and then accelerating again after releasing the clutch, it doesn't accelerate right away as it used to. After around 1 second it would jolt forward and then accelerate properly. With the choke on fully it accelerates perfectly well instead of jolting or not accelerating for a second.

Firstly, modern stuff doesn't need to be warmed up. Just get on and ride it.

Secondly, are you sure you aren't using the choke the wrong way? (i.e. assuming full is off and visa versa?).

At this time of year you should be able to start it without the choke even when cold.

kalamari183
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:56 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
kalamari183 wrote:

Cheers Nobby

Firstly, modern stuff doesn't need to be warmed up. Just get on and ride it.

Secondly, are you sure you aren't using the choke the wrong way? (i.e. assuming full is off and visa versa?).

At this time of year you should be able to start it without the choke even when cold.

When I first got the bike that was the case. Get on and off I go, however now if I try and idle the bike when I first start it up it would cut out almost instantly. After a few tries it would indeed idle but after setting off after 20 seconds or so when I slow down to let's say make a turn at a junction, when I try to accelerate it would jugger forward several times, quite viciously so I have to stop and restart the engine, after which I can set off before of course then when I come to a complete stop it would cut out, making me have to reignite the engine.

It is all made easier by simply having the choke on. With the Keeway having the choke on is pulling the "lever" of sort towards you and pushing it away is closing it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:01 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been messing with any screws on the carb? Failing that, I reckon your pilot jet is blocked.

Please don't take your carb apart as the fact you can't identify a vent pipe indicates you don't have the knowledge to successfullyt put it back together again and I can't be bothered with the bitching and moaning when you can't put it back together.

kalamari183
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:17 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Have you been messing with any screws on the carb? Failing that, I reckon your pilot jet is blocked.

Please don't take your carb apart as the fact you can't identify a vent pipe indicates you don't have the knowledge to successfullyt put it back together again and I can't be bothered with the bitching and moaning when you can't put it back together.

Nah I haven't messed with it at all. I'll talk to a mechanic I know and see what he can do. I appreciate the help Nobby.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:26 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalamari183 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Nah I haven't messed with it at all. I'll talk to a mechanic I know and see what he can do. I appreciate the help Nobby.

For yor mechanic....

My logic as as follows. The choke cuts down the air supply, in effect increasing the fuel in the fuel/air mixture. This indicates that the fuel/air mixture is too lean with the choke in teh off position at tickover.

If the fuel/air mix screw is set correctly, the only jet providing fuel at tickover is the pilot jet. As the problem is markedly worse at tickover, and is better when the choke provides more fuel, it indicates the pilot jet being blocked.

There is, however, a whole world of ingnition issues that could be replicating the same symptoms...

kalamari183
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:17 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For yor mechanic....

My logic as as follows. The choke cuts down the air supply, in effect increasing the fuel in the fuel/air mixture. This indicates that the fuel/air mixture is too lean with the choke in teh off position at tickover.

If the fuel/air mix screw is set correctly, the only jet providing fuel at tickover is the pilot jet. As the problem is markedly worse at tickover, and is better when the choke provides more fuel, it indicates the pilot jet being blocked.

There is, however, a whole world of ingnition issues that could be replicating the same symptoms...

Booked it in to find out the issue and will let you know what he finds out. Think I'll need to get myself a bit more mechanically competent in the meantime, haha.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1