Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Listening to Music

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:34 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Listening to Music Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just wondering what earphones you use to listen to music when riding.
I ride 30 minutes each way to work and back, so I'd like to have something to listen to while I am on my rounds, either Spotify or audiobooks.
I don't really want to break the bank, so what are some decent options?
I listen to a lot of different music, mostly hip-hop and 'alternative' music (Faith No More, Incubus, Deftones etc. etc.) so I'd like something which have a decent range.

Cheers.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a terrible idea to listen to music on bike, buy a decent exhaust.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time I wear earphones is when listening to the satnav lady. No recommendations except I can never get earbuds to stay in.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 00:50 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a scala rider with the in-helmet headphones that sit under the liner in the helmet's circle cutaways for in helmet audio (if your helmet has this).

If you don't have cutaways, get some flat speakers for your helmet.

The audio quality is terrible, but putting any high quality earphones in is very uncomfortable.

If you're going to go the conventional wired-in earphones route, get some Bose SoundTrue in-ears. The gel is comfy and they don't fall out, oh and the audio quality is the highest of any earphone I've ever used with deep bass and clear midtones.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth Speaker so everyone can enjoy my musical tastes at the traffic lights.

You get some great looks in full one-piece race leathers on a C90 with music blasting.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listen via the stereo speakers Cool

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my thing personally. Just ear plugs.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:44 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVC gummy. They fit my ear well and don't hurt. Done 250 miles with them.in, no stopping aside for fuel and even then it's pay at pump. Don't see the issue with it, my old car had double glazing so.you heard nothing outside of the car and had the radio on... Emergency vehicles were a pain to hear, can hear them fine on the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of Shure SE-215 earbuds for when i'm riding, usually so I can listen to the radio on my commute to work and back.

They're not cheap, but the loop design means they sit over the ear and are less prone to falling out as you put your helmet on. Also, they have detachable buds to prevent the cord getting damaged where it connects to each bud from being constantly yanked as you take your helmet off each time.

Mine are a year old-ish and still going strong.

https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/images_blogs/reviews/2011/11/Shure-SE215.jpg

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:04 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Shures seem to be getting good reviews, but I can't find any for my budget. Cheapest is £83, which is a bit of a punt for something I can't even look at in the flesh.
The JVCs are coming up at £8, so that might be worth a punt. I've seen some Sony ones around too, but I can't remember the model number.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't listen to music in a car or on a bike. I do use earbuds (Silicone, not foam) when I'm on on long journey, as my preferred lid whistles like a bitch.

It's a distraction I don't want or need, but everyone is different.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senheiser CX 3.00.
Pop in and loop the cable over and behind the ear so they stay in when putting your helmet on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

standard samsung earphones because you zone out and dont realise youre listening to music

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Don't see the issue with it, my old car had double glazing so.you heard nothing outside of the car and had the radio on... Emergency vehicles were a pain to hear, can hear them fine on the bike.

Maybe I've not driven fancy enough cars but I've never driven a car where I couldn't hear what's around me. Only if you turn the radio up which's basically what you're doing with earphones. It's not as bad as listening to music whilst cycling but you're still blocking out a sense which could save you. I quite like hearing the engine anyway.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:48 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across this earlier today, and I think I'm going to give it a try.
It's got good reviews on Amazon and Argos, so I think it's worth the punt.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5314708

https://media.4rgos.it/i/Argos/5314708_R_Z001A?$Web$&w=1240&h=1116

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:05 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mpow magnetos, brilliant, Bluetooth, long life battery and cheap as tits.

Downsides are, you need a flip up helmet to fit them in (atleast i do) and preferably have removable foam sections on the ears, my caberg Duke has both of these and it is perfect.

Before that used Samsung ones, but really anything should do, with wind noise and so on you aren't in the best conditions to get the most out of high end headphones. Look on Amazon for something you like the look of and has good reviews, and then search for that on eBay and it is usually about 20-40% cheaper.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
I stumbled across this earlier today, and I think I'm going to give it a try.

Under a fiver on Aliexpress. Takes about 2 weeks to get here.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fashion-Wireless-Bluetooth-Smart-Warm-Winter-Hats-for-Women-Men-Caps-Headphone-Headset-Speaker-Mic-Cap/32772197786.html

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Senheiser CX 3.00.
Pop in and loop the cable over and behind the ear so they stay in when putting your helmet on.

I use mine occasionally when on the bike, only one ear in though. The are comfy enough for long periods of time.

Otherwise I use my Ultimate Ear plugs which have built in speakers.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:36 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through a few pairs of Ultimate Ears (600vi shite) and Bose (soundsport not enough isolation) destoying them putting my helmet on and off and general wear and tear.

I now use these: https://www.richersounds.com/product/headphones/soundmagic/e10c/sound-e10c-gun

Which I got because they reviewed well by all and were cheap enough to not care two much about. They have outlasted all my other headphones. The cable is a strong non tangle type and they isolate sound pretty well for motorway journeys. I use the foam tips to cut out more external sounds

I was looking for plugs/headphones to cut out road noise. I know some people do not like this but with 30-40 mins each way on a motorway i needed it. I can have my iphone at about 50-60% volume and still listen to the radio and hear the beeps, shouts and sirens when required.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cheapo a2dp bluetooth headset mic combo. Bought it for mobile phone satnav from Aldi, but same thing is about 24 quid on eBay.

My helmet has padded speaker recesses. Haven't used it much, but when required it has been very useful. Music quality is bleh, but that's not really why I bought it. Calls to other people; aparently I sound ok at xxx mph.

It's been sat on the side of my helmet in all weather and the battery lasts months at my rate of usage.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:25 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Senheiser CX 3.00.

Another vote for the CX300s. Superb quality considering the size of them and really comfortable in-ear phones that bloke out other noise.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using these for years:
https://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/monkeypony/untitled_zps8iqxfgtw.png

Moldex rocket earplugs combined with headphones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-PLUGFONES-YELLOW-Earplugs-with-Music-Headphones-3-5mm-Jack-FREE-UK-PP-/172350931433?hash=item2820ea81e9:g:LhUAAMXQC-tS~j0o

Designed to stay in when your lid goes on, blocks all wind noise, even without music playing, and decent sound quality.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:04 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
Don't see the issue with it, my old car had double glazing so.you heard nothing outside of the car and had the radio on... Emergency vehicles were a pain to hear, can hear them fine on the bike.

Maybe I've not driven fancy enough cars but I've never driven a car where I couldn't hear what's around me. Only if you turn the radio up which's basically what you're doing with earphones. It's not as bad as listening to music whilst cycling but you're still blocking out a sense which could save you. I quite like hearing the engine anyway.

I tend to be ahead of traffic... Laughing But no, 1300 car, double glazing, V12, ain't shabby fam.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't listen to music or anything when riding a bike.

Tried it a few times in the 90s, Motorhead, Dead Kennedys amongst other things, and I just rode aggressively. Neutral

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I don't listen to music or anything when riding a bike.

Tried it a few times in the 90s, Motorhead, Dead Kennedys amongst other things, and I just rode aggressively. Neutral

As stupid as it sounds I often used to listen to music before riding, then ride with the song stuck in my head Smile Had some fun winter mornings riding along to Thunderstruck in my head
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2