Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to re-register a bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Uber_Beluga
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:52 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: How to re-register a bike? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding registering my '87 KLR 650.

Apologies if this has all been asked before, but I couldn't find anything which answered my questions through searching.

I bought it plateless and paperless midway through last year for next to nothing and I've been buiding it up slowly over the last couple of months. I'm nearing the stage where she's ready for the road and I have my DAS all booked up (Almost 24 at last!)

I've got the form V55/5. I was about to fill it out and I noticed that I need a lot of information from a "certificate of conformity". This is for things like "power to weight ratio" and "Stationary Sound Level" etc.
I did some reading online trying to figure out how to get one of these, but I didn't have any luck. What I did notice is that these certificate seems to be for importing/exporting vehicles. This has made me question if I'm on the right track.

Has anyone done something like this before? I think the bike was registered in the UK many years ago, but was used on a farm and the paperwork disposed of along with the physical registration plates.

Ay advice would be much appreciated, I'm really a bit lost at this stage.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: How to re-register a bike? Reply with quote

Uber_Beluga wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding registering my '87 KLR 650.

Apologies if this has all been asked before, but I couldn't find anything which answered my questions through searching.

I bought it plateless and paperless midway through last year for next to nothing and I've been buiding it up slowly over the last couple of months. I'm nearing the stage where she's ready for the road and I have my DAS all booked up (Almost 24 at last!)

I've got the form V55/5. I was about to fill it out and I noticed that I need a lot of information from a "certificate of conformity". This is for things like "power to weight ratio" and "Stationary Sound Level" etc.
I did some reading online trying to figure out how to get one of these, but I didn't have any luck. What I did notice is that these certificate seems to be for importing/exporting vehicles. This has made me question if I'm on the right track.

Has anyone done something like this before? I think the bike was registered in the UK many years ago, but was used on a farm and the paperwork disposed of along with the physical registration plates.

Ay advice would be much appreciated, I'm really a bit lost at this stage.

What do you mean by "paperwork disposed of"? Was it nicked?

Provided they didn't say it was scrapped you should be able to get it's original registration mark back based on the VIN number on the headstock. If this is mysteriously "missing" then it's nicked and you possibly already know this.

Sorry to sound blunt, but I despise bike thieves. There's no good reason to dispose of the V5 and plates IMO.

Uber_Beluga
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:12 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frame and engine numbers are perfectly visible. I always check this when buying.

It's possible it's stolen I suppose. I took a certain amount of risk in buying it.
If it is stolen I would happily see it go back to it's owner. I had my DT stolen last year which I spent a year building, I know how crusing that is.

"you should be able to get it's original registration mark back based on the VIN number on the headstock"
Excellent, how would one go about that?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uber_Beluga wrote:
Frame and engine numbers are perfectly visible. I always check this when buying.

It's possible it's stolen I suppose. I took a certain amount of risk in buying it.
If it is stolen I would happily see it go back to it's owner. I had my DT stolen last year which I spent a year building, I know how crusing that is.

"you should be able to get it's original registration mark back based on the VIN number on the headstock"

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book

I would ring them up and ask them, given you don't know it's number plate either. Provided you have the VIN they should be able to track it back. It'll cost you £25.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not a Kawasaki Owners Club or even Kawasaki themselves who could give you a cert' with the reg on from the frame number? I'm reasonably sure my old RD has something similar from a Yamaha equivalent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2 litre
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uber_Beluga wrote:

Quote:
If you have acquired a vehicle without a registration number and have reason to believe it is registered you will need to complete a V62 Application form for a Registration Certificate (V5C).

You will need to attach a covering letter explaining the registration number is unknown but you have reason to believe the vehicle has been registered. You must also confirm in the letter that the vehicle is complete and available for inspection.

It is mandatory that the VIN/chassis number is completed on the V62 or the application will be rejected. Please be aware that there is a charge of £25 for a V5C Registration Certificate.

Please submit the V62 with a covering letter to:

VC 15

DVLA

SWANSEA

This is what they sent me when I bought a bike with no paperwork.

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:26 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that the DVLA may provide a new reg document (assuming that it has previously been registered) even though the vehicle is listed as stolen. They do not seem to have the ability to check for a stolen vehicle.

This happened to us. Son in Law bought a car for my other half from a scrapyard, put it back on the road, with replacement docs from the DVLA. Three months later the plods seized it because it had been reported stolen by the previous owner six months earlier.

A year later we were asked by the DVLA to confirm that we had no objection to the vehicle being exported, so obviously their records still don't have any record of us possessing a stolen vehicle

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZebraDriver wrote:
Be aware that the DVLA may provide a new reg document (assuming that it has previously been registered) even though the vehicle is listed as stolen. They do not seem to have the ability to check for a stolen vehicle.

This happened to us. Son in Law bought a car for my other half from a scrapyard, put it back on the road, with replacement docs from the DVLA. Three months later the plods seized it because it had been reported stolen by the previous owner six months earlier.

A year later we were asked by the DVLA to confirm that we had no objection to the vehicle being exported, so obviously their records still don't have any record of us possessing a stolen vehicle

Interesting, since OP has already said that if it's nicked he wants it to go back to whom it belongs, surely it's best he just calls the police first to check before contacting the DozyVLA?

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1