Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

One Way Window Tint

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: One Way Window Tint Reply with quote

Dear Auntie Bikechatforums

Not too long ago I got my first car and passed my car test, since then I've been modifying my car. I bought a 2001 5 door hatchback civic because VTEC yo, good condition and good price.

The car looked like a granny/granddad car, looks a lot like the honda jazz.

Having my own car is like real life need for speed underground 2, I have tinted all the rear windows with 5% light transmission black tint and I'm looking to do the front now.

I know the law states that there has to be 70/75% light transmission on the front so I was looking at tinting slightly coloured (like you could in need for speed). This is when I saw mirrored tints/ one way. These tints let through a lot of light and are legal as far as I can see.

Despite this I highly doubt it's legal due to some other law I'm unaware of.

Can you lend your wisdom and advise?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain glass does not transmit 100% of light. A quick google suggests it's only 86%.
Pretty much any tint applied is going to put you over the legal limit.

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:39 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll also get your car and/or anal cavity searched by the rozzers on a weekly basis. Front tints are for drug dealers yo. That said you probably could get away with a 90% transmission tint which would bring it just above 70% but I doubt you'd even notice it.

Then again, I've only ever heard of someone being pulled for tints once on the modded car scene and apparently the copper's 'Tintman' measuring thing didn't work because the batteries were dead Laughing

aand now I have to listen to the NFSU2 soundtrack..

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you also considered getting a bodykit and an exhaust you could fit your head in?
Even the smallest boot can fit in at least two 12" subs too.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Have you also considered getting a bodykit and an exhaust you could fit your head in?
Even the smallest boot can fit in at least two 12" subs too.

I'm considering getting a different front bumper and lights, I've got a cherry bomb exhaust on there and one 12" sub, the alternator would get fucked if I had two.

I've got all my mods declared and cars roadworthy so any anal coppers shouldn't be able to do me for anything.

I doubt I'd get pulled over much, I rarely see police cars and when I do they're unlikely to block a whole junction just for the tints.

The reason I'm asking is purely from a legal point of view, I have read that a few cars come under the light transmission requirement from factory.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modding cars is a waste of money.
'm not trying to be mean, I've wasted my own time and money in the past.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

What made you decide it was a waste of money? The fact the cars can be worth less after?

Personally modding my car makes me very happy and it's something I'll always do to some degree, I can understand turbocharging my civic would be a waste of money but coilovers will stiffen the ride and I'll be able to corner even faster Razz

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:55 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe a biker is suggesting tinting his own front windows.
Firstly, it's almost certainly going to be illegal, but more importantly, it reduces visibility (and don't tell me you're going to drive around with both windows down every time it's dark) and makes it that bit harder to spot bikes coming.
Although it is helpful in letting other road users know there's a twat about.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 07:49 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:

Personally modding my car makes me very happy and it's something I'll always do to some degree, I can understand turbocharging my civic would be a waste of money but coilovers will stiffen the ride and I'll be able to corner even faster Razz

And my 17 year old BMW 325i would still dick all over it... if you want a faster car... buy a faster car.

Modding cars, at a low level is just naff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
What made you decide it was a waste of money?

I bought a newer car which was better in everyway. I was then doing 100 miles a day commuting, so didn't do anything to the car as I neither had the time or money or inclination to mess around with it.
When I'd put 90k miles on it I got rid of it. I then bought another car which I messed about with as I was doing 15 miles a day commute at that point. After a few years I got rid of that and realised that the best car I'd had was the one I piled miles on and no money into.
I found that half the time when you mod one thing you create another problem to solve and to make any serious performance improvement you're sinking enough money to go out and buy a better car to start with.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:

To be honest, turbo charging it would be less of a waste of money than super gay window tints.

Also, there is A LOT more to good handling than just stiff suspension. more often than not, people completely fuck up their handling by going too stiff and/or too low.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:16 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to get a silver & black number plate to advertise yourself as a drug dealer. Thumbs Up

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

If its for looks and style (putting your own spin on it) then not entirely.

But I completely agree from a performance basis. A standard 1.6-1.8 with no mods will pi$$ all over a 1.1 - 1.3 with £thousands spent on it in mods.

Most people have no clue what they are doing anyway, adding cold air pipes to feed the air filter - and not realising that the tiny performance gain is counteracted by the extra weight of the pipes. etc etc.

Although there are reasons why people do it legitimately though.

- Can only afford cheap car in the first place
- Insurance (young driver)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:29 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with putting your own spin on it is that everyone who does that, does it in the same ways. Razz

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The only problem with putting your own spin on it is that everyone who does that, does it in the same ways. Razz

Laughing each to their own though (pun intended).

Same as Goths wearing all black to be "different" and ending up looking the same as every other goth ever. Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:37 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
turbocharging my civic would be a waste of money

With the shit engine in there, maybe, but a B18 in, then get 450hp at the wheels for shits and gigs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I think the only "mod" I ever did was to transplant a 2.5L V6 calibra engine into my Astra GTE.

That DID have an impact on performance... Looking back I should have done the brakes too though. Shocked oops.

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:29 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting a bodykit on a 4/5 door car is like putting lipstick on a pig and it will sound shit with a crazy exhaust.

Stiffer springs/over damped coilovers (I'm assuming you'll be going with the cheap nasty coilovers from ebay) will not make it faster on a point to point journey on the roads, the surfaces aren't good enough over here and you'll just bounce around and lose traction. This is from first hand experience as the retard that I bought my Mk2 Golf from fitted 'Raceland' pogo sticks and it just skips around and lights the tyres whenever you hit a bump on a bend, they are going in a skip as soon as I find a decent set of standard suspension at the right money.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only possible use for window tints is if you don't want your chavvy mates to see how ugly your girlfriend is.

Rockhopper
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:16 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I follow Derbyshire Roads Police on Twitter - they quite often tweet that they have stopped a car with illegal tints and they make the driver peel it off at the roadside. If he doesn't do it then they seize the vehicle and you are walking home.

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:11 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I remember - there's a (relatively minor) offence of 'glass not as prescribed' as well as a more general 'dangerous condition' that can be written up to detail how little light passes through. Knowingly driving a car in a dangerous condition would hopefully see you in Court and banned under the new drivers rule.

They look shit. They are dangerous. You are attracting attention.

Now fast forward to you pulling out in front of a car/bike/cyclist because you couldn't see them - and see how quickly your insurers decline cover because your car wasn't 'roadworthy'. You say all mods are declared? - but they can't cover illegal windows, declared or not.

Save your money for petrol and just enjoy driving it for what it is. A 16 year old shopping car.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Wright wrote:
Putting a bodykit on a 4/5 door car is like putting lipstick on a pig and it will sound shit with a crazy exhaust.

Stiffer springs/over damped coilovers (I'm assuming you'll be going with the cheap nasty coilovers from ebay) will not make it faster on a point to point journey on the roads, the surfaces aren't good enough over here and you'll just bounce around and lose traction. This is from first hand experience as the retard that I bought my Mk2 Golf from fitted 'Raceland' pogo sticks and it just skips around and lights the tyres whenever you hit a bump on a bend, they are going in a skip as soon as I find a decent set of standard suspension at the right money.

https://www.energycap.com/hubfs/Blog_Pictures/lipstickPIG2.png
Would rather do the pig with lipstick anyday.

Thanks for the advise on the suspension, I was thinking about getting the raceland ones, Ideally I'd pick up a decent pair second hand but it's much harder than you'd expect. I'm not even sure if standard civic/typeR ones will fit my 5 door.

If I get a faster car it will be more for insurance, mine is group 11 and I'm paying £2300 TPO, you may argue to save more for insurance but Fuck that, I could turbo my civic for that, it's even declared.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
cars roadworthy so any anal coppers shouldn't be able to do me for anything.

I can guarantee they can always find something to do you for.
Get your car MOT'd at 9am, they stop you at 9.15am and do you for an ineffective hand brake, then drive the car straight back to the MOT station to get them to check it's OK at 9.30am.
Go to court and you'll still lose, because there's more than 1 minute between each event and you could have re-adjusted it in that time.

Loads more they can do you for, if they can be bothered...

As for doing the window tints;
Firstly they stop and check a load of cars every day (especially when they're on a revenue 'drive').
Secondly I assume you're still in your teens and that you'll grow out of it in your early 20s, so you could save your money for something worthwhile instead... Maybe towards a holiday...

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:31 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go the whole 9 yards then? Tribal stickers, underbody neons, 20"chrome wheels, stretched tyres, chopped suspension, fake blow-off valve... and spend a ton of cash making it like every other teenagers car Rolling Eyes

You haven't even started with the right 3 door car, so why not just enjoy it, drive it and build up your no-claims?

But something tells me you'll carry on anyway... Is Barryboys site still a 'thing'?

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:20 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it is, so that's one extra reason to mod his car and see if he can cause any of them to have a stroke because someone painted their car bright colours.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3