Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

General Election: 8th June 2017

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 11:09 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: General Election: 8th June 2017 Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39629603

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:15 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP labour.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:21 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTAF?

How?

2/3rd majority of sitting MPs must vote to dissolve, or a clear majority must vote no confidence in the government.

Why would any sitting MP risk their job? There's no individual upside for them. At best, no change, at worst, they're out on their ear. Party loyalty? Laughing

Granted:

Arrow Labour has been rekt by Comrade Corbyn.
Arrow UKIP has fallen apart under Thingy McWhatshisnname and Aaron (in our opinion mocking sinkpal) Banks hasn't got UKIP 2.0 off the ground.
Arrow LibDems, well, I guess they're still around.
Arrow The SNP might actually be spiteful enough to vote no-confidence even knowing that it'll strengthen the tories.

Anyway, Pass the popcorn all round. This is what I signed up for when I voted hate-race-burn-the-world-Brexit. Dance!

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see that coming!!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:26 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full speed ahead on Hard Brexit. Dance!

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, six weeks of party political broadcasts and squabbling.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:30 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizarrely, a verdict of "this house has confidence in the government" would actually ruin her authority.

Oh, Sharia, you delightful loon, thank you for going full Erdogan on us.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
WTAF?

How?

2/3rd majority of sitting MPs must vote to dissolve, or a clear majority must vote no confidence in the government.

Why would any sitting MP risk their job? There's no individual upside for them. At best, no change, at worst, they're out on their ear. Party loyalty? Laughing

Granted:

Arrow Labour has been rekt by Comrade Corbyn.
Arrow UKIP has fallen apart under Thingy McWhatshisnname and Aaron (in our opinion mocking sinkpal) Banks hasn't got UKIP 2.0 off the ground.
Arrow LibDems, well, I guess they're still around.
Arrow The SNP might actually be spiteful enough to vote no-confidence even knowing that it'll strengthen the tories.

Anyway, Pass the popcorn all round. This is what I signed up for when I voted hate-race-burn-the-world-Brexit. Dance!

Corbyn presumably has to back this, publicly at least. The reasons he would have to give for being against it would make his position even more untenable than it is currently. Not that that seems to have been much of a concern to him until now though, so who knows!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WT actual F?

and also why radio 4 being 20 mins late with the news?

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to vote Labour, just to piss off the Labour Party.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:54 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Corbyn presumably has to back this, publicly at least. The reasons he would have to give for being against it would make his position even more untenable than it is currently. Not that that seems to have been much of a concern to him until now though, so who knows!

Hmm, is he Adam (in our opinion mocking one-man-one-vote) Aarons enough to be unaware of how deeply unpopular he is outside of his Militant bubble? And egotistical enough to think that he could lead labour to anything other than a crushing defeat? Thinking

<hong-kong-phooey-COULD-BE.png>

Reckon that Sharia got wind that the knives were being sharpened again, and decided that she'd never get a better chance to destroy Labour before they got someone less revolting in charge?

Still, 2/3rds is a big ask. Even a majority will require MPs to put their party before their personal interests. Has she met any MPs?

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:00 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody who (despite views on brexit) sees a massive majority conservative government in power as a positive needs a head wobble.

At least at the moment they can be made accountable for decisions, whether that be budgets, brexit or military programs.

If this goes the way May hope it does, we will live in a pseudo dictatorship.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way this election will be anything than a Conservative hammer blow will be if it found along the lines of soft Vs hard brexit, and voters have a clear choice of a party to back.

But Corbyn has always been anti EU and pro brexit Thinking

The lib Dems could well make good inroads into the other parties if they campaign on a soft brexit. If you were pro remain, what other choice would you have?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.

May knows Labour are fucked right now. Kick 'em while they're down. An election that she wins gives her the mandate she wants and needs.

I suggest nobody votes and we watch the country implode.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:09 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, I'm generally in favour of hung Parliaments that can't get anything done. Change rarely improves things.

Specifically, my Remoaner Sense just went off big style. Consider what mandate Sharia really wants.

My belief remains that Sharia's goal is to not deliver a meaningful Brexit. She's already delayed as long as possible, and I'm certain that the intention was always to try and punt it at least a year beyond the 2 year divorce countdown so that she could run a 2020 campaign on the (false) promise to complete the job - or undo it, depending on how sentiment was running then.

With a fresh 5 year mandate, she can now just sod the whole thing off relatively safely, deliver a soft (i.e. non) Brexit or even call a Mulligan, knowing that it'll be 2022 by the time we get to express our opinion of her actual performance.

Do not trust. Do not want.

Fortunately, my constituency is staunchly SNP, with Labour a distant second and the sane parties trailing in laps behind. So I can continue to spoil my ballot ("None of these cu​nts" write-in) with a relatively clear conscience.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 12:13 - 18 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:13 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where does it leave her if she doesn't get to hold her election?

Is it oot the door time and yet another leadership contest?

Can't see it being in labours interest (they would become a non-entity) or the SNPs interest (they are pretty much as strongly represented as it is possible for them to be) to have an early election.

Is it an SNP plot to embarrass her? "Aye, nae bother, we'll support you for an early election lass. *sniggers* "

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:19 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Is it an SNP plot to embarrass her? "Aye, nae bother, we'll support you for an early election lass. *sniggers* "

She's cut a deal with Nickie Crankie in return for backing an IndyRef 2 referendum? Plausible, although I like the thought of them reneging and expressing their confidence in her. So much potential for trolling. Whistle

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring it on!

The Fishponds Popular Front is ready.
All seven of our members are ready for a mass leaflet campaign
to offer the down trodden masses of north Bristol an anarcho-syndicalist commune
where we take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week....

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Bring it on!

The Fishponds Popular Front is ready.
All seven of our members are ready for a mass leaflet campaign
to offer the down trodden masses of north Bristol an anarcho-syndicalist commune
where we take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week....

..but all the decisions of that officer 'ave to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting?

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tactically this is the best thing that could happen to Labour.
Consider, no-one in their right minds would want to actually be in power right now let the Tories lead us into the biggest F up in the history of politics, (except for that piece of paper speech).
Corbyn will, no possible other outcome, be decimated (in the true meaning of the word). Him and his acolytes will be unceremoniously given the royal order of the boot.
Five years to get acts together. An unholy mess post (actual) Brexit. The best chance they have for being a believable party of government since Wilson.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:48 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:

Corbyn will, no possible other outcome, be decimated (in the true meaning of the word).

Really? You genuinely think they are going to keep 90% of their current seats in the case of an election?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:26 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Corbyn will have his left leg removed, below the knee.

Disappointing reporting of Sharia "calling a snap election" even from non-legacy sources who should know better.

She's a long way from that, unless deals have already been dealt. Tom Watson's reaction should be informative.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye Internet freedoms. Goodbye all freedoms, actually. Because being outside means you're a terrorist. And using the Internet is what terrorists do. Best uninstall WhatsApp before they can throw you in jail for it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 1 of 69