Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Reliable Commission Free Spending in Europe

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reliable Commission Free Spending in Europe Reply with quote

What do the good folks of BCF recommend? I've seen recommendations for the Nationwide FlexPlus account which looks good, but I've never had a credit card, and don't want to start now. Or am I just being silly on that point? The account is also unlikely to be used again for quite some time after my upcoming trip.

I currently have a Post Office Travel Money account, but have to switch it to the new style one, as the card has expired and the service was bought out by someone else. I still have a couple of grand on that account. It wasn't ideal - sometimes didn't work at tolls and petrol stations (my bank Visa debit card was more reliable, but paid commission to use it). I will mostly be avoiding toll routes, but fuel is obviously going to be a major expense on the trip.

So, I'd prefer a pre-'loaded' debit type card that will actually be accepted everywhere. What else can I look at?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Monzo prepaid card will give you good exchange rates which are charged based on the MasterCard rate at the time the transaction settles with no additional fees.

You can top up the card via your phone whenever you need to from your debit card. Also offers a measure of protection if the card details get lifted. You can freeze the card immediately and they couldn't empty your account. Worst case they could just take what you'd loaded up on it.

https://monzo.com/

I've almost stopped using my normal cards because I can see where I've spent the money immediately.

Sounding a bit like an advert, I'll stop now. I just find it useful.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
A Monzo prepaid card will give you good exchange rates which are charged based on the MasterCard rate at the time the transaction settles with no additional fees.

You can top up the card via your phone whenever you need to from your debit card. Also offers a measure of protection if the card details get lifted. You can freeze the card immediately and they couldn't empty your account. Worst case they could just take what you'd loaded up on it.

https://monzo.com/

I've almost stopped using my normal cards because I can see where I've spent the money immediately.

Sounding a bit like an advert, I'll stop now. I just find it useful.

Can you get money off the card back to a regular UK bank account easily? Can't see it on their website.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

Can you get money off the card back to a regular UK bank account easily? Can't see it on their website.

Honestly I've never even thought about it. You can use it in an ATM and get it as cash but in reality I just put a bit on the card for emergencies and then, if I'm doing something/buying something specific I use the app to add the the amount I want to spend. Obviously you need internet access on your phone to add more (unless you add from your bank account, which is obviously slower).

I don't tend to stuff 500 quid on in one hit and and keep it until it's gone, more load it as needed.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
A Monzo prepaid card

Is the card reliably accepted at tolls and petrol stations Europewide?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:
A Monzo prepaid card

Is the card reliably accepted at tolls and petrol stations Europewide?

I had no issues at all in Le France. Also worked in the Super U. Card is contactless capable too. It's a mastercard so you shouldn't have issues.

Also has a nice feature that you can send money from one card user to another. So if you're caught short someone can send funds instantly.

Also found this
:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/exvvgi1vcwywv4h/country_facts.png?raw=1 (right click open in new tab)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
It's a mastercard so you shouldn't have issues.

Just to note, the Post Office card I have is MasterCard, but still wasn't wholly reliable.
Thanks for the info though, another one to consider Thumbs Up

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I had no issues at all in Le France. Also worked in the Super U. Card is contactless capable too. It's a mastercard so you shouldn't have issues.

Actually, physically, properly, really tested at a French unmanned fuel pump or toll station? That's where they more often than not fall down. Fine when you walk into the fuel station or wherever and hand it to the attendant. Not a lot of use in France on a Sunday when everything is shut.

chickenstrip wrote:
I've never had a credit card, and don't want to start now. Or am I just being silly on that point?

I would say yes you are being silly (bad as stinkwheel Wink ). Just set the credit card up to be paid off in full from the current account every month. This can be done during the application process. No interest to pay and you are improving your credit rating. I fail to see how this cannot be a win situation.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:

Actually, physically, properly, really tested at a French unmanned fuel pump or toll station? That's where they more often than not fall down. Fine when you walk into the fuel station or wherever and hand it to the attendant. Not a lot of use in France on a Sunday when everything is shut.

Absolutely this.

Matt B wrote:
I would say yes you are being silly (bad as stinkwheel Wink ). Just set the credit card up to be paid off in full from the current account every month. This can be done during the application process. No interest to pay and you are improving your credit rating. I fail to see how this cannot be a win situation.

But I don't need to improve my credit rating. And I just want to pay as I spend.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:30 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Matt B wrote:

Absolutely this.

Matt B wrote:

But I don't need to improve my credit rating. And I just want to pay as I spend.

Agree with Matt B on credit card. Pre loaded currency cards are great for hotels, manned fuel stations, restaurants etc.. but are generally completely usekess at toll booths, unmanned fuel stops etc..I understand your misgivings about a credit card but simply link it to your currency card or whatever account you choose and pay it off before interest is due. I've had a Mastercard for over 20 years and never paid a penny in interest. It's nice to have options.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:

Didn't have an issue on the Toll roads at all. Petrol only ever paid for with attendant because food also.. but it's the same procedure, shove card in hole, type in pin. Make sure you enable the mag stripe in the application on your phone for places that require the use of mag stripe. When you enable it, it enables it for 24 hours and it does tell you how long of that is left. You need to re-enable it after that time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zc2a8o4fk0q5pau/magst.png?raw=1

The card is free, it wont cost you anything to have one*. Worst case just use it for meals, hotels etc - you'll get much better exchange rates. I have a golden ticket if you need it (not sure if there's still a queue).

*You need to top it up with £100 to start with but you can then walk to a cash machine and draw the whole amount out again.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Reliable Commission Free Spending in Europe Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
What do the good folks of BCF recommend?

I have :-
1. a mbna Visa credit card for Emergency use .. like the auto fuel in france .. it saved the day but cost me some thing like 40p on a £15 transaction ... Confused

2. A Halifax clarity credit card .. no fees for over seas use .. the interest rate is not the best but I pay it off every month..
Had one refusal .. that was a filling station in titisee Germany ..
the attendant shouted at me as soon as I walked through the door
" Kien credit card " yeah sieg heils hiking Heidi ... Rolling Eyes

regular this spits out a recipe that requires a signature ... the look on the fraulines face as it spits not one but two extra long till print outs is hilarious and the relief when she looks up and I`ve got the pen in my hand waitin as she doesn`t have to explain in a foreign language as what to do ..

3. cash ... got a 12% discount for this .. Hotel in Cortina Italy ..and tellin them I`ll be fetchin a bike/motorbike... but they WANT NOTES
also I pay motorway , tunnel, vignette tolls, Food & drink with cash..

both cards need tellin that your goin abroad and will likely be using them..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would I be right in saying there is no account in existence that you pre-'load' that has a reliable DEBIT card, that will be accepted in toll machines and at automated petrol pumps as well as everywhere else, and gives commission free spending?

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:37 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
So would I be right in saying there is no account in existence that you pre-'load' that has a reliable DEBIT card, that will be accepted in toll machines and at automated petrol pumps as well as everywhere else, and gives commission free spending?

My wife and me have used various currency cards over the years and I'm afraid that's been our experience. The last one we had, had money on it when we came home. Bike needed tyres so I tried to order online. Card wouldn't work but money dissappeared from account. Eventually got it sorted but lots of
hassle!

We'll likely use them when we go to Spain but will not be leaving credit card or cash at home.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

That's not what I said, but I'm not going to offer you a guarantee that a Monzo card will work in every location in Europe because I haven't been to every location in Europe and tested it.

It works in any of the the tolls and petrol stations I've tried in the UK and France. I've even used it for a £30.01 contactless transaction which is supposed to be unpossible..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I haven't been to every location in Europe and tested it.

Slacker Rolling Eyes Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:29 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards#monzo

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Petrol only ever paid for with attendant because food also.. but it's the same procedure, shove card in hole, type in pin.

Although it's not the same outcome. At an unmanned fuel pump in France, and lots of other European countries, the machine pre-authorises the total amount of fuel you could take. This is to make sure you don't take fuel then have the card declined. Payment for the fuel is taken but the pre-authorised amount can take 3-5 days to drop off the card. With a credit or normal debit card this doesn't matter so much because the limit will be up in the thousands. On a pre-pay card the limit is what you have loaded onto it. If it's got a few hundred Euros on then you could be screwed after the first or second fuel stop.

This has happened to many different people, with many different travel cards on many Euro tours.

The best way to cover yourself it to have both a credit and debit card and carry some cash as well. Many of the unmanned French toll booths will only accept a debit card, I've had the credit card spat back out a few times. Easier just to have cash at hand and pay with that. In the more rural parts of Holland we've found that a lot of places will only accept a debit card or cash. Like France, they still operate mainly on cash and cheques.

I just don't see the point of going touring in Europe with cards that may let you down when you really need them.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll just stick with what I already have. Use the PO (Master)card for hotels, restaurants, and fuel and tolls where it will accept it (some did, and it was never rejected at an ATM), cash for back-up, and the debit card for emergencies. It was sometimes annoying when a card wasn't accepted, especially at tolls in the rain, but I never got completely stuck with that combination. There'll be plenty on both cards that I shouldn't be at risk of reaching any limits. I'll lose on commission if I do have to use the debit card, but it shouldn't work out to too much in the scheme of things.

Thanks for the replies though.

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Norwich and Peterborough debit card , all free from charge , do the best rate on the day , never ever let me down in the 12 countries I've been in , petrol , lidi , Aldi , super u .

Fantastic , but ...

They have been bought out by Yorkshire building society and they are closing all the accounts !!! FFS .
I'm having to move my savings , current and business accounts .

I'm hoping the Yorkshire BS will have a similar account as I've the same question as you , best card available today ?

Thank you for the information gents .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1