Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Of age to process into A2 License

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Derrick The Diva
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:23 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Of age to process into A2 License Reply with quote

Allo allo' allo! Afternoon everyone. Now I have quite the topic to talk about as I'm utterly frustrated with everything.

So I'm about to gather some pennies to get my A2 Bike license, I have quite a lot of experience riding sport bikes, and dirt bikes as I grew up riding dirt bikes from an early age of 6. I've been riding a lovely little 125 which is literally a few inches smaller than a fully sized CBR 600RR. Some little wk 125 rr Chinese thing but it was worth the purchase to learn about bikes, the performance was lovely just not the reliability when it slaps against the floor.

I've had some crappy luck with it so I'm finished with it and it's about time I step up. The only problem is, I have no idea what to get anymore. It's annoying. I don't want an SV650 as I've been told it's a budget bike, if you have a good budget, it'll be amazing if not then...It'll be a bit sucky. I wanted a ZXR 400 or an NC30 but I'm 6ft3 and they're quite small.

Now I seriously don't understand the world of laws on bikes (Don't kill me, this is literally what I've found on websites) So I'd really love a lent over sports bike, as I love the feeling of getting down and hitting corners, I live in a small country side where the roads are seriously empty and the corners are amazing. The only issue is I can't really find any sport bikes I actually like, and that's me being honest. I don't want to be thrown onto something I don't like as I won't even end up riding it.

From digging around people accept and reject the views upon an SRAD 600, pre 2001. But then I've read two people being able to ride a K4 GSXR 600, being pulled over by the Police after having their bike looked over then being let go, scot free. I just want peoples opinions before I jump in heavy and don't turn back. There's hardly any police presence where I live and they only pick on Learner riders, that's a fact around here. I would just want some help and advice as I'm slowly hitting my face on my desk to figure out what's going on. It would be lovely to have an actual feel of the corners on a big bike I can get down and end up keeping.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people get away with it yes, problem's that your insurer can start asking questions as well, and how will you answer those? 11ish bhp to 47bhp is a massive jump and not one that I personally need to go beyond (and I've ridden more powerful bikes), I'd try it first before deciding on #baklaf.

Derrick The Diva
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:33 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Some people get away with it yes, problem's that your insurer can start asking questions as well, and how will you answer those? 125cc to 47bhp is a massive jump and not one that I personally need to go beyond (and I've ridden more powerful bikes), I'd try it first before deciding on #baklaf.

I see, I mean I just quoted myself on a K4 and a SRAD 600 and they didn't get denied even with the honest information I placed in. I know it's a massive jump, I have had experience riding bigger bikes from going to bike nights and going out on rides, other people letting my ride theirs. I have had my fair share of being thrown back into the seat and holding on for dear life. There's also a few people that come down from my town that do Track days just to talk to us and give us advice. Usually when me and a few friends are out riding they'll stick with us, fly past then wait at the next stop to honestly talk to us. It's quite nice.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be denied, you will probably be fine until claim time. I've never had to provide my license outside of a claim, or prove my NCD.

Derrick The Diva
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:58 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
You won't be denied, you will probably be fine until claim time. I've never had to provide my license outside of a claim, or prove my NCD.

Yeah, I suppose it's how you ride it, I read on a different forum that someone's local police said it's okay if it's a few bhp over 94, as long as you're not riding it like an idiot. Which should be the norm. I'd love to get a K4, I've sat on one and it perfectly fits me. I believe the 2004 model is 97bhp but you can get the restriction kit for it.

I'm sure if you got pulled over all they do is check for any restriction on the bike to prove it. But I've also read you can get ECU restrictions on bikes as well. I'd just like other peoples opinions on what to do. As It would be lovely to get such a bike. I mean there was one guy out here bombing around on a Fazer 600 with a CBT for 2 months and my friend Cal was accidentally riding around with no insurance for 4 months infront of police officers. But then he got it sorted as he forget to send off his details. It's odd.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can restrict a maximum of 94BHP down to 47BHP to stay legal.

So no you cannot have any GSXR600.

If you are going to get the GSXR anyway then there is no point even restricting it. If your risking getting hanged may as well be for a sheep not a lamb.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Hayabusa would be just as legal (illegal) as riding a GSXR600.

I've just got myself a Fazer 600 (02) and that is debatable as to whether it can be restricted or not, as different sources quote different power output.

I will be carrying a makeshift certificate (totes restricted bruv) incase I get questioned. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:19 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Of age to process into A2 License Reply with quote

Derrick The Diva wrote:
wk 125 rr [...] the performance was lovely

11hp? How have you survived? Whistle

De jure:
No GSX-R600 has ever been legal for A2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GSX-R600 has finally (Exclamation) been edited to make it clear that the quoted power figures are real-wheel (some sperg kept removing that information). What matters for UK licensing is "net engine power", which is considerably higher. That's nonsensical, but spergs get everywhere.

De facto:
Dibble is largely ignorant of licensing. They don't get particularly well trained in the law, and refreshers are few and far between. It's not (or didn't used to be) covered in the Blackstones manuals, so they'll just pick up canteen wisdom.

Insurance is a complete lottery. Some want everything short of a DNA swab from your maternal grandmother, some don't give a stuff (until you make a claim).

Its unlikely to be an issue unless you have a prang that's serious enough to get the police or your insurers interested for other reasons.

What you want to hear:
It'll be fine, bruv.

So:
It'll be fine, bruv.

However, if you want to ride legit and plastic, then your choices for restricting are: SV650S (can be had with lower fairings); ER6F; GSX650F / GSX600F. The GS500F is A2 native. If your budget stretches, so is the CBR500R. I'm having a laugh on a Ninja 250, and the new 300 bikes should be decent enough, but they're not cheap yet.

All the bigger bikes will make about 35kW when restricted, so it's really up to you how much you want to pay for performance that you won't use.

If you want a recommendation: as mentioned, the FZS600 (not the later FZ6 Fazer). Power figures vary, but the DVSA show it as suitable for A2 tests, so they think it's fine. That's a pretty strong argument. If you can find a good one they're decent bikes and will offer a lot of fun for very little money. I tried a 15 year old example and it was an absolute peach, so they are still out there.

Derrick The Diva
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:43 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Of age to process into A2 License Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Derrick The Diva wrote:
wk 125 rr [...] the performance was lovely

11hp? How have you survived? Whistle

De jure:
No GSX-R600 has ever been legal for A2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GSX-R600 has finally (Exclamation) been edited to make it clear that the quoted power figures are real-wheel (some sperg kept removing that information). What matters for UK licensing is "net engine power", which is considerably higher. That's nonsensical, but spergs get everywhere.

De facto:
Dibble is largely ignorant of licensing. They don't get particularly well trained in the law, and refreshers are few and far between. It's not (or didn't used to be) covered in the Blackstones manuals, so they'll just pick up canteen wisdom.

Insurance is a complete lottery. Some want everything short of a DNA swab from your maternal grandmother, some don't give a stuff (until you make a claim).

Its unlikely to be an issue unless you have a prang that's serious enough to get the police or your insurers interested for other reasons.

What you want to hear:
It'll be fine, bruv.

So:
It'll be fine, bruv.

However, if you want to ride legit and plastic, then your choices for restricting are: SV650S (can be had with lower fairings); ER6F; GSX650F / GSX600F. The GS500F is A2 native. If your budget stretches, so is the CBR500R. I'm having a laugh on a Ninja 250, and the new 300 bikes should be decent enough, but they're not cheap yet.

All the bigger bikes will make about 35kW when restricted, so it's really up to you how much you want to pay for performance that you won't use.

If you want a recommendation: as mentioned, the FZS600 (not the later FZ6 Fazer). Power figures vary, but the DVSA show it as suitable for A2 tests, so they think it's fine. That's a pretty strong argument. If you can find a good one they're decent bikes and will offer a lot of fun for very little money. I tried a 15 year old example and it was an absolute peach, so they are still out there.

Thank you for your fine words of wisdom. It's only because I'm sat around hearing others yab on about it so I thought I'd bite the bullet of embarrassment and ask myself. Say I got an SV650...and it wasn't pokey enough, is there anything you can do to them to increase power or should I just wait around until I get upgrade. Only wondering. As otherwise I was just going to try and save up for a ZXR 400 and see if that would be better for what I'm looking for. I'm stuck with lovely country roads and tons of corners to get a knee down on.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:06 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Of age to process into A2 License Reply with quote

Derrick The Diva wrote:
Say I got an SV650...and it wasn't pokey enough, is there anything you can do to them to increase power or should I just wait around until I get upgrade.

Dunno, I haven't ridden one. I can't get on with that leany-forwards riding position. The 400s sports bikes are very small and scrunchy too, I can't see you being that comfy on them.

Loads of tuning options are available for the SV, but you should be restricting it, not increasing the power.

Can we be clear, are you actually planning to restrict a bike down to 35kW, or to get one that could be restricted and ride your luck? No moralfag judgement, just wondering.

If you're going to restrict, then I'd suggest that you might as well get a twin like the SV or ER6 as they'll still deliver low down torque.

If you're going to ride your luck and want the most performance that you could plausibly have on A2, I'd again say FZS600. The one I tried (all stock, I believe) was flexible and fast. It felt as quick or quicker up to the legal limit than a CBR600F that I tried about the same time, and that's no slouch.

If you're going full thug life, it is pretty likely that you'll get away with riding an SRAD for a couple of years. It's really down to how much risk you want to accept, but if you're averse to risk, why take up biking? Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Of age to process into A2 License Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
A Hayabusa would be just as legal (illegal) as riding a GSXR600.

I've just got myself a Fazer 600 (02) and that is debatable as to whether it can be restricted or not, as different sources quote different power output.

I will be carrying a makeshift certificate (totes restricted bruv) incase I get questioned. Thumbs Up

Probably the only positive contribution Bodyguard has made to anything (ever) was getting the official figures from Yamaha. He used them when his insurer asked him why he was riding a Fazer, although they were also taking an interest as they weren't sure what license he held.

Derrick The Diva wrote:
Thank you for your fine words of wisdom. It's only because I'm sat around hearing others yab on about it so I thought I'd bite the bullet of embarrassment and ask myself. Say I got an SV650...and it wasn't pokey enough, is there anything you can do to them to increase power or should I just wait around until I get upgrade. Only wondering. As otherwise I was just going to try and save up for a ZXR 400 and see if that would be better for what I'm looking for. I'm stuck with lovely country roads and tons of corners to get a knee down on.

You can de-restrict it, and you'll have a bike that looks legal (unlike a GSXR).

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you chose to 'restrict', you could chose the throttle stop method, a small piece of metal that limits the travel of the throttle cable.

This could unfortunately 'fall off' in a crash. However I have no idea how this would stand up in court.

Derrick The Diva
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:34 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Of age to process into A2 License Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Derrick The Diva wrote:
Say I got an SV650...and it wasn't pokey enough, is there anything you can do to them to increase power or should I just wait around until I get upgrade.

Dunno, I haven't ridden one. I can't get on with that leany-forwards riding position. The 400s sports bikes are very small and scrunchy too, I can't see you being that comfy on them.

Loads of tuning options are available for the SV, but you should be restricting it, not increasing the power.

Can we be clear, are you actually planning to restrict a bike down to 35kW, or to get one that could be restricted and ride your luck? No moralfag judgement, just wondering.

If you're going to restrict, then I'd suggest that you might as well get a twin like the SV or ER6 as they'll still deliver low down torque.

If you're going to ride your luck and want the most performance that you could plausibly have on A2, I'd again say FZS600. The one I tried (all stock, I believe) was flexible and fast. It felt as quick or quicker up to the legal limit than a CBR600F that I tried about the same time, and that's no slouch.

If you're going full thug life, it is pretty likely that you'll get away with riding an SRAD for a couple of years. It's really down to how much risk you want to accept, but if you're averse to risk, why take up biking? Wink

What I was going to do is get a bike where I feel like I'm hugging it, the sport seating position. I am going to restrict it to get used to it, as most people have told me to do that first just incase then if I wanted to have more fun, de-restrict it. I'm sure the smart option will kick in.

I'd love the FZS600 but I really do love the full faired look...the SV650S 2005 looks absolutely lovely. I'm stuck in the position where you have all those cocky friends who are getting close to do their A2's, so I want to find the sporty style and the leeway to tune just in case I have to prove one of the obnoxiously know it all cocky riders in my group wrong.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:46 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would buying straight line speed prove about you though?

Get a Ninja 250 and ride round the outside of them on corners. Whistle

Don't really get a 250, I'm just noting that it's not all about peak power.

Where's Tef with his WHORES BEEFOUR THE CART lecture about licensing?

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:52 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrick The Diva wrote:
wk 125 rr Chinese thing .... the performance was lovely

Derrick The Diva wrote:
Say I got an SV650...and it wasn't pokey enough

An SV will feel like a rocket compared to a 125. In fact any big bike will do!

For what it's worth, I quite liked my SV. Yes, they are built down to a budget. The suspension is a little soft and it would have stopped quicker if I'd reached down and grabbed hold of the brake disk myself, but aside from this I thought it was good fun. Certainly grunty enough and sounded fab with a can on. You could do a lot worse than one of those on an A2 licence.

Derrick The Diva
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:09 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
Derrick The Diva wrote:
wk 125 rr Chinese thing .... the performance was lovely

Derrick The Diva wrote:
Say I got an SV650...and it wasn't pokey enough

An SV will feel like a rocket compared to a 125. In fact any big bike will do!

For what it's worth, I quite liked my SV. Yes, they are built down to a budget. The suspension is a little soft and it would have stopped quicker if I'd reached down and grabbed hold of the brake disk myself, but aside from this I thought it was good fun. Certainly grunty enough and sounded fab with a can on. You could do a lot worse than one of those on an A2 licence.

Alrighty, I think I shall go for an SV650S around the 2005 model, as they do look quite nice. And I'm sure I wouldn't complain about it with such a big HP difference.

The only reason I mention tuning all the time is because I love getting down to a bike, stripping it apart and making it better, that's just a little hobby of mine.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:59 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people modify SVs for mini twin racing so there are lots of aftermarket parts available along with a lot of know how on the SV specific forums.

Cronik
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:03 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

*I have all but a CBF125 and have only done 1800 miles in the 10 months I've had it*

Off-topic:

I like the idea of 'progression'.

My next bike will probably be a CBF250... I want to work my way up, else I risk missing out on some good times.

Because I am such a beginner in this realm, the only figure I can give is my MPG. So being bundled in a college course with youngens who want to see how much my 125 can scream, is slightly off-putting when the response "about 75 downhill" gets them excited.

My end would probably be a Burgman 650, as I mounted my backside on one at the J&S store in Northwich and the comfort/feel/looks of it really ignited my innards.

On-topic:

To what extent do you know speed?
My CBF125 is rendered immobile to those that know speed.

Walking and cycling is all I knew...so the CBF125 was another tier of motion.

I feel on arbitrary impulse alone the SV650 would be enough horse to satisfy your inner cravings.

Then again; I know not speed...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed you Cronik.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 337 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1