Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moped classes AM / P

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Piercee100
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:59 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Moped classes AM / P Reply with quote

Bought my son a tidy 1989 Honda Vision for his 16th birthday in June. It's only got to last a year as he will have a restored DT100 when he's 17. Somebody was telling me he may not be able to ride this scooter at 16 due to the change in licence catagories AM replacing P ?

Also, how soon can we send off for his provisional so it arrives in time for his Birthday and then safely book a CBT?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

50cc so will be fine as after the 1970s restriction period

an older Suzuki ap50 or fz1e wouldn't be possible due to the fact they can do more then 28mph (30 in normal world)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Piercee100
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:08 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty for that Cool

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:54 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current Vision 50 is advertised as AM, and it's not like Dibble is going to do a lot of background research.

That said, we have heard of Operation Pedboi Sweep where Farces bag college kids en masse, put their peds on rolling roads, say "Oh dear, oh dear, it can do 29mph. Tut Tut" and hand out LC20 + IN10s like sweeties.

Just prep him that if he is tugged, be adamant that it's an AM vehicle, not to admit to anything, and personally I wouldn't even give them the satisfaction of watching them performing any such (irrelevant) test.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically he can't, I don't remember the precise date but it was something like 2003 they started restricting 'peds to 28mph. In reality no one will care, if he's not doing 40+ on a de-restricted 2-stroke he's unlikely to raise suspicion. It's another example of the pedantic mess the EU left us in with their brilliant bike laws.

Piercee100
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:43 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, collected it from Hastings last night and rode it back to Medway which is around 45 miles pinned at 32mph so that must be a real world 28mph! Good fun and as far as I can tell, 16yr old safe. It's not really ped boi friendly being 80's boxy styled so should be a safe bet. Might add him a top box with a big L on it so even less chance of being pulled- He's too lazy to take it off lol. Seems to have proper Honda quality to it too (remember that folks?).

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Technically he can't, I don't remember the precise date but it was something like 2003 they started restricting 'peds to 28mph. In reality no one will care, if he's not doing 40+ on a de-restricted 2-stroke he's unlikely to raise suspicion. It's another example of the pedantic mess the EU left us in with their brilliant bike laws.

My 1988 Honda Mini-Melody was restricted, as were everyone elses peds around that time, so it must have been way before 2003

Edit: Just checked, seems it was 1977?

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:42 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

2013, if it was made before 2013 it would be restricted to 31mph and that's fine and perfectly legal as it's still a moped.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:51 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
My 1988 Honda Mini-Melody was restricted, as were everyone elses peds around that time

To the 50kph 'P' licence limit, or the 30mph limit for the UK definition of 'moped' though[citation needed] ? Both of which exceed the current 'AM' licence limit of just 45kph.

Spergs, spergs everywhere.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
My 1988 Honda Mini-Melody was restricted, as were everyone elses peds around that time, so it must have been way before 2003

Edit: Just checked, seems it was 1977?

That was the first set of restrictions, following the Fizzy Yamaha's that could do 60 50 40mph. A bit before my time, someone prod Tef' Whistle

Monkeywrencher wrote:
2013, if it was made before 2013 it would be restricted to 31mph and that's fine and perfectly legal as it's still a moped.

Mopeds sold pre-2003 were capable of 30mph and are no longer strictly mopeds since the 19th January 2013 when the 3rd EU Driving Licence Directive was introduced. https://lightningpass.com/moped

It's an issue that never really became an issue AFAIK, but is still a technicality.

andy46
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:28 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I don't post much on here because usually someone has already said what i would say, usually using a lot less words, but I don't think the OP is being made aware of the possible bad outcome here.

Mopeds made between 1976 and 2003 had to be restricted to 50kph (31mph) in order to comply with regs and be classed as mopeds (rather than motorcycles).

From 2003 this restriction was lowered to 45kph (28mph) due to EU meddling.

These restrictions were based on "design speed" and manufacturers or importers had to certify that the vehicle complied in order to pass UK or EU type approval.

The OP's son has a provisional licence to ride category AM which is a motorcycle restricted to 45kph - commonly called a moped.

Only mopeds made after 2003 come into this new AM category.

He will therefore be riding a machine which he doesn't have a licence for and although it is a technicallity he might just as well be riding a 750 as his licence isn't technically valid for that either.

This means that his insurance very likely won't be valid and in the event of a third party claim the insurance company would be able to cancel the policy and make a legal claim against the policyholder to get back any money they paid out.

Of course this would only happen if they realised or know about the different classes of moped or different licence catergories, and could be bothered to claim their money back. Having a cancelled policy on record isn't good, but then again that probably won't happen either.

I found all this shit out when my daughter was 16 and I got her a moped - I had to change my mind about what to get her as I simply didn't think it was worth the very small risk of getting caught out.

I have no idea whether anyone has been caught out by this but I am sure that it's not a "grey area" of the law - it may be a law which isn't enforced due to general ignorance of it. Or it might be that there just aren't enough pre 2003 mopeds around being ridden by otherwise legal 16 year olds for it to be a recognised issue.

OP I'm really sorry to piss on your chips but I thought it best you make an informed choice on what to do - so weigh up the risks/costs to you and all the best from me.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:10 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy46 wrote:
I don't think the OP is being made aware of the possible bad outcome here.

LC20 + IN10, as above.

However, the chances of them obtaining a conviction are minimal. I very much doubt that the CPS would touch it based on a rolling road test, since I'm not aware of "design speed" being defined anywhere. I've never seen it on a V5C, and I'm not even fully convinced that there is a clear definition of "moped".

Note that the MOT manual doesn't contain it. It does contain clauses for vehicles with an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc, and several references to 30mph / 50kph (which are not the same speed), rather than 45pkh.

It's commonly held that "mopeds" can't be used on motorways, but again, that's not the case. The prohibition is on vehicles under 50cc, or not capable of 25mph. Many "mopeds" claim 49cc, but if you have one that claims 50cc, it's technically OK.

I agree that there is a risk, and that if Dibble has targets to hit that he might p-p-p-pick on a pedboi, but keep your lip zipped and damn the fellow's eyes and I don't see you doing porridge over it.

The biggest risk is likely to be having it seized, but I'd be fairly confident of compo from that as well.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly certain I said all that in about 100 less characters. It's a very small discrepancy, and one that in reality won't stop most mopeds doing about 35mph. My understanding was that the introduction of the AM class was to introduce those stupid little cars (like the Renault Twizy), not to stop teenagers breaking the 30mph barrier, which as we both pointed out was actually implemented a decade earlier.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:11 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Fairly certain I said all that in about 100 less characters.

Fewer, unless you meant in a smaller font.

Technicalities. Whistle

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to getting caught/convicted for a moped offence I suspect the 'attitude test' is crucial. If Piercee100s' lad is a pedboi knob-end then the choice of bike is a bad idea. The fact that he's willing to ride a bike styled like a tumble-dryer that's considerably older than he is suggests he's not the sort of rider who'll attract plods' attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
Fairly certain I said all that in about 100 less characters.

Fewer, unless you meant in a smaller font.

Technicalities. Whistle

As I said don't give up on me Praying

andy46
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:52 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
andy46 wrote:
I don't think the OP is being made aware of the possible bad outcome here.

LC20 + IN10, as above.

However, the chances of them obtaining a conviction are minimal. I very much doubt that the CPS would touch it based on a rolling road test, since I'm not aware of "design speed" being defined anywhere. I've never seen it on a V5C, and I'm not even fully convinced that there is a clear definition of "moped".

Note that the MOT manual doesn't contain it. It does contain clauses for vehicles with an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc, and several references to 30mph / 50kph (which are not the same speed), rather than 45pkh.

It's commonly held that "mopeds" can't be used on motorways, but again, that's not the case. The prohibition is on vehicles under 50cc, or not capable of 25mph. Many "mopeds" claim 49cc, but if you have one that claims 50cc, it's technically OK.

I agree that there is a risk, and that if Dibble has targets to hit that he might p-p-p-pick on a pedboi, but keep your lip zipped and damn the fellow's eyes and I don't see you doing porridge over it.

The biggest risk is likely to be having it seized, but I'd be fairly confident of compo from that as well.

This is one place "design speed" is mentioned https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

it seems that the NI .gov.uk site actually defines moped with this term but the english .gov.uk does not give a definition - or I can't find it.

I believe I have got the term from my own moped, a 1979 vespa 50 which had a metal plate on it stating that it's maximum design speed was 30mph. Long time ago, so it might be a false memory.

and I agree that the chance of getting done for it are very small - probably never happened to date, and getting less likely as pre 2003 mopeds die off, the offences mentioned above would be committed tho.
An insurance company avoiding payout in the event of a claim would be far more likely in my opinion but still a very small risk. When I was made aware of it I decided not to take the risk - I hadn't already bought my daughters ped.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:46 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy46 wrote:
This is one place "design speed" is mentioned https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

it seems that the NI .gov.uk site actually defines moped with this term but the english .gov.uk does not give a definition - or I can't find it.

Never found any legal definition of a design speed. It could be read that a moped designed to do a max 45kmh complies, even if it were tuned to do double that speed.

All the best

Katy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:17 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy46 wrote:

Yes, it's mentioned, but not defined. There's no box for it on the V5C, so it's neither required nor recorded by The Man.

It's hard to see how you'd prove your innocence, not that you should have to. I'd expect that stamping "Max Speed 45kph" on a plate and sticking it to the engine ("Yeah, came with that.") would more than suffice.

So risk averse, bikers. Whistle
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1