Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

best and worst thing you bought for your bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

haggis
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:15 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: best and worst thing you bought for your bike Reply with quote

I'm curious following my own long distance travels...
Whats the single most useless thing and single most useful thing you added or purchase to take with you on the bike?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best:- AA breakdown cover.

Worst:- Avon storm tyres.

Edit because I didnt read the OP properly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best - New rear shock.

Worst - "Comfort" seat - that was far, far worse then the aged and broken OEM one.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best:
https://www.tyrerepairkits.co.uk/images/SNG-PTP2.jpg

Worst:
https://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/224993?w=637&h=403

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

haggis
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:47 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: agree with lock ... way tooo heavy Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:57 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best: Bar muffs

Worst: ....... dunno I have some tank grips that have never made it on after 2 years so I guess they were a bit pointless.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the latest bike, best thing has been the single seat. Worst thing so far is a pair of cheap LED spots; they are smaller than I envisaged and have a flimsy bracket.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:35 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useless: Riderscan.

https://i.imgur.com/Nyf8IaP.jpg

Great in theory. In practice, the actual areas showing your blind spots are tiny, it pretty much always has a bright sun reflection on it somewhere, and it doesn't remove the need to do mirror and shoulder checks anyway. I just couldn't find a way to make it be more of a help than a distraction.

Useful:

Muffs. Tucano Urbano, Bitz-for-Bikes, £9.50 eBay wonders or DIY hairymuffs, they've all worked and been far cheaper than gloves that would offer the same protection.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 22:42 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best: Akra slip on

Worst: Coremoto steel braided brake lines that don't even fucking fit.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

best - Mousses - no more punctures on my dirt bikes

worst - Bike-It pocket tyre pump. Should be called ACME tyre deflator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best - PR3s.

Worst- shitty cheap tank protector/grip that wouldn't stick down properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best: K Tech'd R1 forks.

Worst: Don't think I've bought anything that I would consider a waste of money for it, although when I bought the bike, it had a feck-off huge Sprint steering damper on it. Removed that straight away - these bikes just don't need one for anything less than track use, and it's not the first bike you'd think of for track days anyway.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

best = heated grips
worst = oxford chain
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current bike hasn't had much bought

So current scoot

Best Michelin s83 tyres

Worst chrome wheel rims
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best things: dual-sim nokia candybar phone. One sim set up and will auto top up if burning credit roadside. has useful numbers (RAC, insurance, people who can get me out of a bind), short charging cable and photocopy of insurance cert in a gripseal bag. I charge it phone a friend every few months to keep it active.

Also Rok-straps and a rolltop that will strap to the seat. I've travelled on that alone, full luggage and the rolltop strapped flat to the pillion seat or wedged in the top of my luggage, or drybag full and luggage mostly empty depending on what I was considering picking up on the way.

Worst things: £10 ebay zip-up handlebar phone mount. Not waterproof as claimed. Zip failed flat out on the a42. R&G heated grips controller was good, but uncomfortably hard, wearing out in one winter and then had the power to the right grip fail. Grip puppies. So squishy, very hand cramp, much permanently soggy.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Scotoiler cramp buster for the throttle grip

Worst £30 reg/rec off the Bay. Mucho smoke, very entertaining, not.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best: The current handguards on the k surprisingly keeps a lot of the wind away from your hands and rain.

Worst: Scottoiler, it just didn't work out for me and relied on it to keep the chain lubed. Killed a chain that way so went back to normal chain lube.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best: renthal bars which meant I could actually filter properly.

Worst: probably not purchasing muffs/heated grips/handguards and putting up with the cold. Don't think it's done me any good.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:16 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best: Nautilus Stebel Air Horn - proper loud and has saved my bacon on many occasions from dosy idiots about to head into my path.

Worst: Some cheap Cree LED spotlights. They kind of work, but mounts are shit so they keep coming loose and swing about. Crappy waterproof seals on them, so they keep filling up with condensation. At least they were cheap...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:26 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best - Can (probably too loud, but twins rarely sound bad to my ear - and the 500 sounds very good; is obviously way lighter; also considerably increases conspicuity beyond line of sight). Cost - £150+

Nurse's fob watch tie-wrapped to clutch cable such that it fits with the speedo. Just useful to have the time there if heading out to meet people. Cost - £1.30. Same as this but black - did nearly go for shocking pink but bottled it in the end (cut t-piece thing off):

https://www.worldofclogs.com/acatalog/worldofclogs_fobwatch_blue.jpg

Best - EP90. Most handbooks recommend it as the preferred chain lubricant. For a reason - applied a small amount to a clean chain daily and the chain basically doesn't wear. 30-40k+ lifespan.

Best - some sort of fender extender product. Front mudguards especially have become vestigial since at least the '90s. Wet salty shit thrown at header studs year after year has probably been more responsible for the premature deaths of jap bikes than anything else including lack of fresh oil. Bloody criminal really. I'm not necessarily saying fit proper ones as standard cos I appreciate most folk don't ride in the rain nor even the wet and also don't want to look like a grandad. But ffs at least make a decent length mudguard available as an after market extra you daft tossers. They'd sell, You'd cover what meagre development/tooling costs would be involved, and you bikes would survive for an extra thirty years so that people the world over could marvel at the finish, material and engineering qualities of japanese manufacturing - all of which is actually down to a £20 front mudguard. Holy fuck get a brain cell several decades ago ya numpty fuckwits.

Worst - dunno, tank bag? This was good for camping (kept stove and cooking shit in it), but I don't use it, it makes the bike feel bulky and I think with better packing it's probably just as easy to get it over the back of the seat.

Some throw-overs. These were probably about £70. A present. Never used. I since found some 28 litre ones for a tenth that which are now on both bikes, with a net on for items that don't fit. Panniers aren't waterproof, but not a problem if carrier bags are used inside. Do they look the part? Fuck no! Do they do the job of carrying shopping and other shite while out and about? Of course they fucking do. Have they lasted well? In fact, yeah - done a winter and 15k miles. Easy to fit? Doddle - needs inventive use of bungees though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEDALPRO-BICYCLE-BIKE-CYCLE-BLACK-TWIN-DOUBLE-STRONG-REAR-PANNIER-BAG-/351098787971?hash=item51bf1e5883:g:tCgAAOSwr~lYrHLR

Worst - any cleaning product that's not some paraffin or diesel on a rag or some blue roll. Fortunately I've never actually bought any myself, but the odd present here and there. Given away to mates with bikes. Unnecessary expense. And the only place I'd ever use a detergent type product is to get fling off back tyre.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:20 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best: ACF50

Worst: Riderscan; useless piece of shit.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:32 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best - Vulcanet Wipes Laughing Laughing

Literally 20 mins cleaning the bike last night, and i didnt even have to move it out of the garage.......

Worst - SJ1400 Action Cam, can't be arsed to fit it anywhere on the bike. Don't particularly want to use the 3M adhesive, in case it won't come off when it comes to selling

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:19 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfa__ wrote:
Best: Nautilus Stebel Air Horn - proper loud and has saved my bacon on many occasions from dosy idiots about to head into my path.

Mine lasted about three weeks before it packed up, never to work again. Was really pissed off about it too as it wasn't cheap. Apparently it's a common fault with them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2