Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
XSR has stupid wide handlebars

When they fall off and you die, I'm sure Paddy will put narrower ones on the salvage.

Y U NO do it now though?

7 not a 9, so I'm unlikely to be killed to death. Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it can be immensely frustrating, I kind of like the challenge of filtering in traffic in London.

It's like a big game of Tetris, and you are stuck in the middle of it Mr. Green Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Even though it can be immensely frustrating, I kind of like the challenge of filtering in traffic in London.

It's like a big game of Tetris, and you are stuck in the middle of it Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Hand Frogger, or Toado if you were cool like me and had an Amiga https://youtu.be/WfMIOTvpSlg?t=47s (ah that soundtrack brings back memories Wub).

Supermarket checkout's where all those years of playing Tetris comes into play.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.kongregate.com/games/paulhtml5/star-wars-trench-run
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 03:18 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride like that every day on my 80 mile commute in to central London and back.

I ride a Deauville 700 too so not exactly a narrow bike either.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:07 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh in most cities you have to filter if you want to get anywhere during rush hours. Even Preston on the way to work for me isn't a big city but theres queues of traffic pretty much like that vid so you just go down the outside

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: filtering do you do this kind sometime? Reply with quote

Val wrote:
I have to say I have done that and maybe worst.

I know it is wrong, but it is London Laughing

What do you think? I mean the bus coming at 01:17 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkDRcxSkmwo&t=77s

Huh? My risk/reward judgement would like a wider gap than that, but otherwise what's wrong with it? There's no solid white line that you're not allowed to cross.

Just need to be careful when passing any side streets that no-one tries turning into you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: filtering do you do this kind sometime? Reply with quote

Marclev wrote:
There's no solid white line that you're not allowed to cross.

So bus lanes?

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:04 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
No, it's more a case of I used to ride like a complete cock, then realised it actually didn't make any difference to my journey time. In London it's more about luck, if you have a tw@ cam' watch back your journey and add up all the time you're stationary at traffic lights... that's what makes the difference.

When I was commuting from my old house, I did this; aggressive filtering vs very calm mostly going with the flow reduced travel time by about 40% (it was 15 vs 25 minutes).

You're right that traffic lights make all the difference; filtering to the start of the lights so you have a clear run to catch up with the previous bunch of vehicles to go through, and potentially skipping a phase in timed sequential lights (e.g. A501 Euston Road across London), is where the really big wins come. Depending on traffic level and type of road, that requires different levels of aggression.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:52 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks closer than I'd dare. I'd also not filter in the gutter, but I don't venture down south that often.

However I did push my switches as far inboard as they would go in order to lop over an inch of each side of my renthals in order to go for narrow, and when I did bikesafe on my XV535 (really narrow bike) I lost my observer a few times through Rotherham. I think that's mostly because an RTP is really fat rather than talent or bravery though.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a city like that, motorists have been trained, or beaten into submission by repeated lawbreaking exposure, that filtray is lawfully legal. Still you need to be prepared for the odd trafpol wannabe imposing their spacial authoritah.

Your weapon bike of choice is going to dictate how much fun progress you're going to make.

https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/2/AAB4Fl_EpFa-v9sysm519T1LEBylJpk4n8lsQKAfdKluAw/12/261603744/jpeg/1024x768/3/1493481600/0/2/FUWRmTBGP.jpeg/ENyO7fMBGIsBIAcoBw/vCJ5SSMOz1Vzuh_R9uDR2LvLnzux6Y1k24vQjNFLuls?size=1024x768&size_mode=2

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
M.C wrote:
No, it's more a case of I used to ride like a complete cock, then realised it actually didn't make any difference to my journey time. In London it's more about luck, if you have a tw@ cam' watch back your journey and add up all the time you're stationary at traffic lights... that's what makes the difference.

When I was commuting from my old house, I did this; aggressive filtering vs very calm mostly going with the flow reduced travel time by about 40% (it was 15 vs 25 minutes).

You're right that traffic lights make all the difference; filtering to the start of the lights so you have a clear run to catch up with the previous bunch of vehicles to go through, and potentially skipping a phase in timed sequential lights (e.g. A501 Euston Road across London), is where the really big wins come. Depending on traffic level and type of road, that requires different levels of aggression.

I'd disagree about Euston road, you get 6 lights all turning to red at the same time, so you get stuck slightly further down the road.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: filtering do you do this kind sometime? Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Marclev wrote:
There's no solid white line that you're not allowed to cross.

So bus lanes?

I'm interested in this because I thought you could not cross the solid line, only enter/exit bus lanes where the line is broken.

Is that not the case then?

Adam80UK
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:35 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hadn't linked to the exact time of the moment in question, I would of watched the whole video and had no idea what you were talking about.

Basically that's default riding for me. I appreciate some people may not be as comfortable in various filtering scenarios, and to whoever that applies, for the love of Oreos please get of out the way!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:26 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: filtering do you do this kind sometime? Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
M.C wrote:

So bus lanes?

I'm interested in this because I thought you could not cross the solid line, only enter/exit bus lanes where the line is broken.

No. Think of it like the solid white line at the edge of some* roads. It has no meaning other than to indicate where the edge of the road is.

*I say "some" because, at least round here, such markings seem to be quite randomly applied.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: filtering do you do this kind sometime? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Pigeon wrote:

No. Think of it like the solid white line at the edge of some* roads. It has no meaning other than to indicate where the edge of the road is.

*I say "some" because, at least round here, such markings seem to be quite randomly applied.

I caught a trainer out on that one, he was saying cyclists shouldn't come out of a cycle lane with solid white lines, so I gave the bus lane example.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:43 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't because....

* Clip a car for whatever reason that your passing, and you bounce under an on coming vehicle Confused
* Nob jockey coming the other way, decides to teach you a lesson
* Another biker flying towards you in opposite direction doing the same as you, maybe faster Shocked
* passing a lorry as a lorry comes the other way.... eek could end badly

However, i would filter in that situation if the traffic in the opposite direction was stopped or moving very slowly.

moin
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:38 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this all the time, the camera makes it look much worse than it actually is and I'd get nowhere if I didn't so this on my loooooong commute

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Re: filtering do you do this kind sometime? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Excellent, thanks Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3