Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Garden Landscaping

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Garden Landscaping Reply with quote

Two issues for the gardeners of BCF:

1. Patio floods. A lot. Very clay-ey underneath the flags. Thinking of digging a soakaway, but it's within 5m of the house (4.2-4.5m). Any issues with digging a trench about 18" deep instead, filling with stone, and re-laying the flags?

2. Have a large stone wall at the end of the garden, which some bell-end has decided to remove the buttresses from Rolling Eyes In some places the wall looks like it's bowing inwards, but it hasn't been re-pointed for probably 20 years. What's the best mix to re-point?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:35 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced the water will be getting away through properly laid flags with any speed. You probably need somewhere for the water to run-off rather than through.

One idea is to dig your trench along one edge of the flags to somewhere with a run-off, fill it with gravel, call it a path or a border. The trench will drain the surrounding soil and act as a drain for the run off from the flags.

Thing is, if there's nowhere for your trench to run-off to, it will just fill with water too. A sneaky bit of field drain in/from your trench, stopping just short of the boundry in another hole full of gravel where it can overspill to somewhere lower (road, street drain, ditch, sewer) isn't the daftest. Just don't get caught by leaving the end sticking out somewhere. The way I see it, the water board bill you for disposing of your rainwater runoff anyway.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'm not convinced the water will be getting away through properly laid flags with any speed. You probably need somewhere for the water to run-off rather than through.

When I re-lay I intend to have them spaced with gravel between. When they were laid they were put end to end, which won't help matters.

Quote:
One idea is to dig your trench along one edge of the flags to somewhere with a run-off, fill it with gravel, call it a path or a border. The trench will drain the surrounding soil and act as a drain for the run off from the flags.

That's the idea, only instead of having a path (the patio is at a much lower level than the rest of the garden - about 2 foot lower), dig the trench to run along the retainer, and hope it drains that way with a slight slope away from the house and towards the garden.

Quote:
Thing is, if there's nowhere for your trench to run-off to, it will just fill with water too. A sneaky bit of field drain in/from your trench, stopping just short of the boundry in another hole full of gravel where it can overspill to somewhere lower (road, street drain, ditch, sewer) isn't the daftest. Just don't get caught by leaving the end sticking out somewhere. The way I see it, the water board bill you for disposing of your rainwater runoff anyway.

Was tempted to put a drain channel in front of the house and into the drain that is fed from the roof, just to make sure. Though I've read that this is a bit naughty.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't doing aything wrong by putting clean patio water in with clean roof water.
The roof water shouldn't be going in the same drain as grey water from sink, washer and such.
But plenty of those are not done right even in new builds.

With an impervious or poorly drained soil a soak away won't work for long and will be least effective when really needed in prolonged wet spells.
Best solution might be new drain channel with grid on top especially near the house. This can go into roof water drain if possible.
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Building-Materials/Guttering+Drainage/Channel-Drainage/c/1000239
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the previous occupants had the sink etc water diverted into the roof water drain. Probably when they had the now demolished conservatory base built.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1