Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to get away with manslaughter...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: How to get away with manslaughter... Reply with quote

... just be English, beat up a Czech to death, say you are sorry. Confused

I've just heard this on the radio, and find it very fecked up. I don't know what the British law says, what it defines as manslaughter, but this sure makes me question the whole thing. So, we have the perpetrator, we have several eye witnesses, we have CCTV evidence, and the court of the law says alright mate, you're good to go?!

I am familiar with the process, once found not guilty means no one, not even the Queen, can do anything about it. So, the only chance would be the European court for human rights, but I am skeptical.

Quote:
Raymond Sculley found not guilty of beating Zdenek Makar to death in killing that sparked fears of post-Brexit violence

Quote:
Raymond Sculley then removed a bicycle lock, a heavy metal chain attached to a solid locking end that he took from his own bike, and approached the helpless Mr Makar.

“He swung the improvised weapon and struck Mr Makar to the left side of his head, catching him behind the ear and knocking him to the ground where he then struck him at least twice more.”

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/03/decorator-cleared-killing-czech-man-zdenek-makar-london-street-attack

Discuss...

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4406129.stm

HTH

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:16 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Makar allegedly joked to one of Sculley’s friends: “What’s this? A bike gang?”

Quote:
Mr Makar obviously believed he was being followed and turned to confront the group. He put his food down and took his jacket off.

I'm guessing the bits above helped the guy get off, I'm guessing if its self defense then it can't be manslaughter.

He can be retried though.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self defence and 'reasonable force' should be considered.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:18 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: How to get away with manslaughter... Reply with quote

The almost word-for-word identical story told by every legacy media outfit, from far left to right, must be the truth, the whole, truth, and nothing but the truth.

The jury could not possibly have been in possession of any other facts beyond those, and must therefore all have been Brexit Hate Nazi Britain First Nazi National Party Nazis.

I can't think of any other explanation that makes sense.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: How to get away with manslaughter... Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The almost word-for-word identical story told by every legacy media outfit, from far left to right, must be the truth, the whole, truth, and nothing but the truth.

Remarkable isn't it! Huge agenda in that Guardian article, as you'd expect. I'd appreciate more facts and less opinion from the "news."
A little bit more info here:
https://www.25bedfordrow.com/site/news/not-guilty-verdict-in-old-bailey-murder-trial
https://www.murdermap.co.uk/pages/cases/case.asp?CID=859421931&VID=1334&Case=Killed-in-self-defence:-Zdenek-Makar
Still surprised the killer wasn't jailed though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's a bit of blaming the victim because he's had a drink, whilst also suggesting that only one (fatal) blow with a weapon is reasonable force Laughing

Very surprised the guy isn't in jail at all.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: How to get away with manslaughter... Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Remarkable isn't it! Huge agenda in that Guardian article, as you'd expect. I'd appreciate more facts and less opinion from the "news."
A little bit more info here:
https://www.25bedfordrow.com/site/news/not-guilty-verdict-in-old-bailey-murder-trial
https://www.murdermap.co.uk/pages/cases/case.asp?CID=859421931&VID=1334&Case=Killed-in-self-defence:-Zdenek-Makar
Still surprised the killer wasn't jailed though.

Your bias is showing. There's no "Huge agenda" in the article, it's basically the same as the murdermap text with some quotes thrown in.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: How to get away with manslaughter... Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Your bias is showing. There's no "Huge agenda" in the article, it's basically the same as the murdermap text with some quotes thrown in.

The Guardian wrote:
A painter and decorator has been cleared of killing a Czech man in a street attack which sparked fears of post-Brexit violence.

Nothing to do with Brexit, everything to do with scummy chavs. I'm surprised he was cleared of that, must have had a 'good' legal team Neutral

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: How to get away with manslaughter... Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

The Guardian wrote:
A painter and decorator has been cleared of killing a Czech man in a street attack which sparked fears of post-Brexit violence.

Nothing to do with Brexit, everything to do with scummy chavs. I'm surprised he was cleared of that, must have had a 'good' legal team Neutral

It's a single sentence, which could be entirely based on fact - not opinion - given when it happened. That's not a "huge agenda" is it, mentioned at the start, never referred to again.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no mention of a racial element to the incident, it's pure butthurt speculation and therefore poor/biased journalism.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
There's no mention of a racial element to the incident, it's pure butthurt speculation and therefore poor/biased journalism.

How did you establish that it was speculation? There's no evidence supplied either way. You're just applying what you believe to be true to their initial statement. Which is your bias.

The case may not have mentioned a racial element at all but that doesn't mean that it didn't spark "fears of post-Brexit violence" at all. It only needs to spark fear in one person for that statement to be entirely true.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit fishy to me but there's surely more to it.

The wording of that Guardian article is disgusting anyway. No better than the hysterical output of the Sun or Daily Mail.

"Scumbag lower class painter and decorator prole brutally murders unarmed middle class suit-wearing hero."

Fuck the Guardian and their liberal elitist bias.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not defending Sculley, he killed and I can't account for how on earth he went free based upon what I'm reading here. I'd like to know though, wouldn't you? He went free yet the article only deals with the case for the prosecution, not the defence. What swayed the jury, or cast doubt?

I'd also just like less spin and subliminal messaging in the news. The intentional take home message seems to be,
"Young Czech professional (something to do with architecture) makes inoffensive comment and is pursued and killed by paint-spattered decorator and his gang who had been smoking cannabis."

It could have been,
"Catering manager Makar, on his way home after a drinking session, insults a teenager in a shop and then rows with the youth's older friend Sculley, a decorator by profession. After the spat they all depart in the same direction but Makar, thinking they're following him, removes his jacket and challenges the decorator again. Makar receives a blow behind the ear from a heavy, improvised weapon. The location of the blow (said to be equivalent to a firm punch), combined with the effects of alcohol is enough to kill him."

Death by misadventure, perhaps? Doesnt sound right. However, I'm commenting on the way the news is delivered by The Press and other media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
M.C wrote:

How did you establish that it was speculation? There's no evidence supplied either way. You're just applying what you believe to be true to their initial statement. Which is your bias.

The case may not have mentioned a racial element at all but that doesn't mean that it didn't spark "fears of post-Brexit violence" at all. It only needs to spark fear in one person for that statement to be entirely true.

No it's there and clear, like all the other butthurt remoaners you want to believe a referendum caused everyone to turn into nasty vigilante racists.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
No it's there and clear, like all the other butthurt remoaners you want to believe a referendum caused everyone to turn into nasty vigilante racists.

It's in your imagination. If you need to believe it, fine by me. I presume you've run out of argument since you've just resorted to name calling. I suppose at least you didn't drop to "special snowflake" which is the ultimate signalling of "I no longer have an argument" - so well done for not doing that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's there in black and white. You talk about bias and want to completely ignore what's in front of your eyes Rolling Eyes

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see a brexit article, I see an article about one man killing another and not going to prison.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-read my first post...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on, who mentioned Brexit? Oh, The Guardian article did, in the sub-heading and the first line.
Confused

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Re-read my first post...

That may be your original stance but...

M.C wrote:
like all the other butthurt remoaners you want to believe a referendum caused everyone to turn into nasty vigilante racists.

.. you've changed from that stance to making it a brexit argument.

I don't think that the referendum turned everyone into "nasty vigilante racists" because that would be making a gross generalisation about leave voters, something you seem happy to do to remain voters.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again re-read my first post. There was a spike in 'hate crime' after the referendum which AFAIK has tailed off. Yet it's a narrative which's still going on.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot to do, so I couldn't keep up with the topic.

Well, first of all, I am glad Roger finds this amusing.

Secondly, I do agree that British News using the Brexit to promote their Newspaper/web sites is wrong. Czech news never tried to even imply any Brexit connection with the event. I know we/you have freedom of speech, but this has nothing to do with it. I can only imagine what would happen if it was a Polish citizen who was ''allegedly'' killed by an English lad. We all know how you like Poles.
Even if it was a hate crime, a result of the Brexit if you will, it would still be wrong for the media to take an advantage of it to promote their Newspaper/web site. Any incitement to hatred coming from the mass media is wrong.

I do not read The Guardian, it was just the first English News site I found. BBC had nothing about it, at the time being at least.
--
Also, I obviously have no idea, what the right terminology in this case is. It was not a murder, as that would require a certain degree of planing and/or intention to kill. I had no better word for what ''allegedly'' happened.

And this: +1

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
Self defence and 'reasonable force' should be considered.

If this happened here, he would never have been let free like that. There was far to much evidence against him. There would be place for a suspended sentence though, if this was his first criminal offence.
Yet again, Czech rep. is not the UK, I am aware of that.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 23:02 - 22 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder requires a pre-meditated intent. If his intention wasn't to kill the guy then it was manslaughter.

What's it got to do with Poles - or even the fact that he was Czech? Two drunk guys had a big row and one got killed by the other because his level of normal human restraint was inhibited by the alcohol. No intent, no murder - and no racial element (except the ones you and the guardian have slipped in there).

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2