Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki Gs400x starting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:16 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Suzuki Gs400x starting Reply with quote

Hey guys
I've got this Gs 400 im trying to get started. I've got it turning over, compression might be a bit low in the right cylinder but now im on to the electricals.

When i first got the bike and changed some fuses and hooked up a new battery and after 10 minutes the ignition coils both got hot and sort of popped. I replaced them both today and i can feel the left one getting hot again. not sure what to do about that.

Secondly im not getting any spark

(coils and plugs are new, battery charged)
Background info:
I got this bike for next to nothing from a neighbour. it hasnt run in about 5 years. It was converted into a sort of bobber thing by the previous owner. Some parts are missing or badly repaired.

Any help greatly appreciated

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:22 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the earths?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:40 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemo wrote:
Have you checked the earths?

Yea seems fine. I'm not 100% on how its wired up

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:41 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s61.photobucket.com/user/Jay29031/media/Mobile%20Uploads/02890501-7D37-48BA-ACB0-7D86154765D7_zpshkilj3du.jpg.html?o=0

In this pic there's an orange/white and white wire on the left then an orange/white and black/white wire on the right. These connect to the ignition coils.

According to the wiring diagram the orange/white wires come from the kill switch and the remaining wires go to the contact breaker. however the brown and black/white wires go to this box

https://s61.photobucket.com/user/Jay29031/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0DFF8D4F-07BE-495C-A57C-73E97BD108FA_zps7ala8qgx.jpg.html?o=0

not sure if thats correct

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:29 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

where should i start ?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
where should i start ?

I'd start by deciding if you really want to throw money at this. Are you doing this to learn about mechanics (could be a fair starting point) or to get it on the road? In the latter case this financially will not be worth it..

Back on subject you mention contact breakers but the box you photographed looks like an electronic ignition module (e.g. TCI). I think you need to check you are looking at the correct wiring diagram for your bikes year..

Good luck.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:11 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Jay2903 wrote:
where should i start ?

I'd start by deciding if you really want to throw money at this. Are you doing this to learn about mechanics (could be a fair starting point) or to get it on the road? In the latter case this financially will not be worth it..

Back on subject you mention contact breakers but the box you photographed looks like an electronic ignition module (e.g. TCI). I think you need to check you are looking at the correct wiring diagram for your bikes year..

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply mate
money isn't a problem
yea I may have been looking at the wromg diagram. I also used the wrong term, hasn't got points.
regardless. where would i start on the quest for a spark ?

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:55 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Good luck.

I've started working on this again. I think eveything is wired up right. Would it make sense to start checking components like the magneto, rectifier and ignition module ?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1