Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wrong Model on V5

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:59 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Wrong Model on V5 Reply with quote

Afternoon All,

I got the V5 through today for my newly acquired 1995 Enfield 350 Bullet it shows the model as a Bullet 500 rather than 350, capacity is correct (346cc) frame and engine numbers match that on the V5, I checked the new keepers supplement and that also shows Bullet 500 so it's not just happened on the owner change.

Insurance company/askmid show it as a 350 and it's taxed on the correct capacity.

If it was originally a 500 and had an engine swap to 350 would this show under special notes on the V5?

Assuming it is just a DVLA cock up is it worth the time/effort of dealing with the muppets and trying to get the model changed? Apart from potentially putting a buyer off if/when I sell it could the model being listed wrong cause me any problems?

Cheers

Jon

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it that important?

my zzr v5 just says it's a kawasaki. my previous cb400 superfour was for some reason registered as a honda bros. never any problems

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model will always remain what it was as it was first registered.
The engine size in CC is where your correct engine size is noted.

I once put a larger engine in a car and the model stayed the same but the cc changed, I phoned DVLA and they confirmed that the model will always be the factory model regardless of changes.

They said this was due to people not being able to pass of a modified car as an original. Say you had a Capri 1.6 and decided to put a 2.8i engine into it, the V5 will always show it as a 1.6 but with a 2800cc engine so you cannot sell it on as an original Capri 2.8i, which were worth a lot more monies.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:26 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
is it that important?

Not to me, no. As I said just wanted to check I wasn't going to fall foul of any laws.

Pjay wrote:
The model will always remain what it was as it was first registered.
The engine size in CC is where your correct engine size is noted.

I once put a larger engine in a car and the model stayed the same but the cc changed, I phoned DVLA and they confirmed that the model will always be the factory model regardless of changes.

They said this was due to people not being able to pass of a modified car as an original. Say you had a Capri 1.6 and decided to put a 2.8i engine into it, the V5 will always show it as a 1.6 but with a 2800cc engine so you cannot sell it on as an original Capri 2.8i, which were worth a lot more monies.

Thanks. That makes sense. Did the engine change show on the V5?

Cheers

Jon

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonE wrote:
Thanks. That makes sense. Did the engine change show on the V5?

Not that it had changed no, but it was obvious as the model was 1.6 and the engine CC was higher.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one of my bikes the engine capacity on the V5 is incorrect!
It is shown as 599 cc on the V5, the actual engine capacity is 608 cc, that's how all the bikes came out of the factory, with "608 cc" cast into the engine barrel.

It looks like it's been like that for the last 30 years, I'm not going to worry about it!

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dozy fuckers would probably change it to a dacia sandero, best leave it as is
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1