Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What is the best ground anchor I can buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:46 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:

The final thing I want to do is to try and make the gate to the back garden more secure

What is the gate made of?

All this messing with bolts and padlocks will be a total waste if its wood..... Laughing

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

All this messing with bolts and padlocks will be a total waste if its wood..... Laughing

Indeed, most small jemmy bars will make short work of any sort of bolt/padlock arrangement if it's only fitted to wood.

The correct way to do it is fit it to a piece of plate steel from behind coach bolted through. Then ensure your hinge arrangement isn't susceptible to a crowbar attack, often the weakest point.

And also don't underestimate the power of a good kicking.
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applaud your efforts, but there comes a point that if they want it that bad, they'll wait for you coming home or going out.

Locking it down properly with a decent chain is essential. Locked metal gate is useful. Extra layers like alarms, alerting cctv, tracker etc. are a bonus. Just think through how you're going to respond if you catch someone at it.

So long as it's out of sight and they have to 'go equipped' to get it then that should be enough in your average area. Don't overlook fence panels, some you can lift up and go under, they can be fixed in with bolted brackets.

Case hardening the bolt is not something that you'd be able to easily do.
Likely you'll end up making it more brittle.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:10 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically put plenty of security on and with good gear as already recommended.

Nothing will stop a determined thief they will try anything.
Best bet is to have a setup that is noisy to bypass and takes as long as possible.... giving you time to wake up and get out.
or in the case your not in, it alerts the neighbours Wink

Im very happy with my setup, although the wife thinks ive gone way over the top lol
I sleep well Very Happy

Something else you need to think about....
I use my bike at weekends, not everyday.
When i did use it for daily commutes all my security did my head in :/
It took me ages in the morning just to get the bike out.... so make sure your security is practical too
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

SBDJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:13 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 mins? You'll be lucky!!

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:08 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieves clear their escape first, then steal bike second.

something i considered and something i think you should too

My garage/workshop is at the back of my house and the only access is down the side of the house around 4.5 feet wide.
Has a 7 foot gate on with a bolt and padlock.

The ground is thick concrete, why not fit a sinking post right behind the gate.
Firstly with it locked in place the gate cannot be opened, secondly with the post in place, gate or no gate, you wont get the bike passed anyway Wink

something like this...
https://www.barriersdirect.co.uk/bollards-c1022/telescopic-retractable-bollards-c1024/heavy-duty-telescopic-post-best-seller-hugely-reliable-p1249

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:16 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
I have to wheel super slowly and carefully through to avoid the bike hitting the sides

They don't.

Arcane1729 wrote:
Will call trak king as soon as I see them in the process of nicking, seriously don't think they can get very far even if it's faster than that.

What do you imagine will happen then?

Call the 5-0 (on 999), theft in progress, say you're going out to axe them what they're doing.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:36 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane, can you just confirm that you're actually a sentient human being? Because im starting to suspect you may be some kind of advanced Google bot designed to advertise workshop tools and equipment to the mentally retarded.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Instead of confronting them why not get reg plates of van at the front too?

Because it's almost a guarantee they will be driving a stolen vehicle.
They're coming to nick your bike, why wouldn't they steal a shit van first? (much easier for them than a bike anchored with big fuck off chains and locks)

You ride a 125, at this point you are way past overkill talking about attempting to bodge harden metals.
Couple of ground anchors and chains through the frame then call it a day man.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

SBDJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
why not 10 mins?

That's 10 minutes from when you discover them, not from when they start. Easily less than 30 seconds for the chain I would imagine. No need to bother with the disk locks as they can just carry it to the van, but even if they did it wouldn't take long to cut the locks or disks. More than one grinder and you will be counting how long it takes them in seconds not minutes!

I would also be surprised at a 10 minute police response but you never know Smile

A former work colleague had decent security on his garage. They knocked through the wall instead and carried them out.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:32 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spending too much money to secure a 125, fair enough in the process you are getting some cool hardware but still.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

freyuk wrote:
Spending too much money to secure a 125, fair enough in the process you are getting some cool hardware but still.

He's only protecting his investment, this is the worlds most expensive 125 after all, when you factor in all the money spent on replacing the missing key Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4