Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What is the best ground anchor I can buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 16:42 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the W Anchor.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:47 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: What is the best ground anchor I can buy? Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
what is the best brand of chain I can buy too?

Have you got some proper off road parking sorted now?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:56 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almax or Pragmasis chain.

Rottweiler ground anchor.

Thumbs Up
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Renton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was recently recommended to me;

https://www.yanchor.com/

And so was this - the Anti Pinch Pin

https://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, in my view.. and in the interest of saving money (getting it right first time), I'd call the 22mm redundant unless you're openly willing to tackle a group of chavs, or 12 year old kids as I've recently discovered, with a weapon upon discovering their attempting to cut through your chain. The 22mm didn't exist on the market for a long time and forever people have been happy with a 19mm, which.. to keep in mind, is able to be cut with a angle grinder (gets bummed for being wrong) so if you want the best at home then 19mm and 16mm or 13mm while out and about.

If you want a two in one then 16mm cannot be hand cropped but, as with a 19mm, can be cut with angle grinder. All you're buying, to me, as you go up in mm is more time against the one below it to get cut through. A 16mm is likley to give you a bonner the moment you see it compared to Oxford or whatever you've seen in store before.

The two limiting factors are what size you can get through the swingarm and what weight you can carry, comfortably.. without upsetting balance, on your bike and also, a third one, how much length you require for where you park. If you need any more than 2.0mm and you're going to get a 16mm I'd say get either a noose or go down to a 13mm.

In truth you ride a 125 and a 13mm is going to be better than what most youngsters with a 125 will be locking up their bike with. In all my time on a motorbike the only person I've seen come close to my level of faffery is perhaps 1-2 minutes getting an alarmed disc lock to set in an underground car park and then walked away afterwards. The advice given on here is generally above what most, as I understand.. outside of London, lock theirs up with.

You could always fire an email of to Pragmasis, if you're in no rush, with the size gap between the top inside of the swingarm and the bottom inside and ask what they recommend, as well as including your bike model. They offered me advice when I sent them a picture of my setup, at their request, and so customer service really is top in my experience with Pragmasis.

16mm 2.0m weighs, with padlock, just under 10kg. I'd most likely go 13mm and not give a balls. Plus, as I have, if you ever end up with a broken tailbag or alike, and can be transformed into a backpack, you're far better of getting home with a 13mm than a 16mm. You need to ensure the bag is secure and have escape options available. Then again a bag that's designed to carry 5kg probably shouldn't support 13-15kg daily, oops.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't able to buy something you can dig in and cement like the Y-models etc, I've used the double-bridge Mammoth ones before which seemed decent for a bolt-in option.
https://www.mandp.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/210x210/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/5/557025.jpg
Arcane1729 wrote:
When I am out and about I cannot bring a 22mm chain (if that is the max that can fit hopefully) obviously- what is the max carriable chain? Someone said 19mm was simply too heavy as well. I wan't to get a tail pack and put this carriable chain around.
I've carried the 1.5m Almax IV chains in tail packs before without any issues - just need to pad it out with some spare clothes or something if its not sitting low and stable.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.kdmnet.com/photoalbum/summervac03/oregon03/5-GiantAnchorOutsideColumbiaRMaritimeMuseum-Astoria.JPG

This should do it. Unloseable, unbreakable, will take all day to cut with a grinder. It comes with the all new Almax 120mm chain.

Seriously, never mind the W anchor. The Y anchor looks pretty good. I wish I'd bought one of these. Plus almax chain of course.
They do a new one that works with 22mm chain. It's mahoosive.

https://www.yanchor.com/

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamppost, lay the bike on its side.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Take the front wheel off to make it more difficult to wheel away

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
M.C wrote:

Take the front wheel off to make it more difficult to wheel away

And remove the oil so it can't be ridden away either.... Question

It's a bit of an open goal.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Rottweiler ground anchor.

I actually googled that. Rolling Eyes
Tricked by Ste again, I never will learn. Laughing

Arcane1729 wrote:
https://securityforbikes.com/torc-ground-anchor.php#whyspecial

Is the above ok?

Their "Double Doofer" would be more resistant to drilling/cutting attacks due to loose cover.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Y anchor is just not feasible. Don't have the know how to install and not my house.

Install is relatively easy, if you can make a cake you can make concrete. But appreciate it's not your gaff which
makes it difficult to find a workable solution. Have you thought about making something from scratch?
I'm thinking along thelines of filling a large square container 40L or thereabouts with concrete setting a
piece of scaffold tube in the centre for the chain to pass through, so in effect a large, unwieldy weight chained to the bike.
Nobody will steal it when it's not in use, and you won't have to deface your landlords house either. Then when you don't
need it anymore, take it to the tip? Gives you somewhere to sit while you're working on it as well. If you do it right
it will weigh a fair whack, be relatively inexpensive to buy the materials and is essentially disposable when you're done with it.
As with all these things, the chain is the weakpoint. Even the very best bike chains money can buy are ruined in seconds
with a cordless grinder.

Saraya
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:32 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get this stuff, it's even easier than making a cake. Dig a hole, empty bag in, bung water in and stir with stick. Put Y anchor in quickly as it sets really quickly.
https://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/postmix-concrete---20kg-747697
Plant a bush or something near it, if you need to hide it. Azaleas are evergreen, don't need to do anything with them and they look nice late spring. Very Happy

Edit - make sure anchor is level with grass and you can hide it easily when you move out! Mr. Green

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saraya wrote:
If you get this stuff, it's even easier than making a cake. Dig a hole, empty bag in, bung water in and stir with stick. Put Y anchor in quickly as it sets really quickly.
https://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/postmix-concrete---20kg-747697

Postcrete doesn't set nearly as hard as properly mixed concrete. But it does make the task it is meant for much faster,
I'll give it that much.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:07 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a 40 litre container full of concrete that I worry people will steal.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a shagged CBR125 to anchor it to to make that harder?

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:51 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-73600-73600-CBR125RWB-2011-08L5611-CBR+125.html

tailpack designed specifically for the bike.

will this fit a 2m long 16mm chain?

Specifically? https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/microfiches-recherche_piece-08L56-MGM-800A.html

May as well buy something off ebay and save £80. £25 extra for a shoulder strap is really taking the piss IMO

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the bikes rear end design, Kriega.

You'll soon appreciate the investment when you've got just under 9kg for one chain wriggling around on your rear end.

Unless anyone has a underseat bag that uses the same system but is cheaper and reliable.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
. Don't have the know how to install...

Hasn't stopped you before. Laughing

What are you fixing it into? If it's a shed floor, does it have a concrete slab base, or some paving slabs on dirt under a wood floor?

Edit, just realised you said brick wall. If it's single skin brick, it'll be the weakest link. I might be tempted to put a y anchor in a large bucket of cement and drop it a hole in the dirt. Take it with you when you move on.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4