Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Happy St George's Day

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless guilt.

I actually have a theory about this. Any country or region that has been under occupation or invasion, or was generally the losing side in a conflict, tends to have a stronger sense of identity and pride in their culture, specially when it comes to comparing said culture with that of 'the enemy'.

Scotland and Ireland are overly proud of themselves and their jovial hatred of the English. Over here in Yorkshire our annoying "Yorkshire first, English second" pride, with a specific focus on being from the better side of the Pennines, can only come from the fact that we fought the war of the roses and lost. Then there's English people who love to hate the French, which is surely a knock-on from our Norman conquest 1000 years ago.

So the reason St George's Day is generally not known about is because English people in recent history have had no reason to defiantly sing about their country's greatness, because it was known far and wide already. Unlike the Irish and Scottish who will have once taken every chance they could get to come together and promote their identity.

Penny Coin Penny Coin

Anyway, happy St George's Day Dance!

https://shoebat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/a_jihad_raise_crusade.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BqgJr7F.png

Very Happy Cool

(We probably don't observe St George's Day quite so much because it's not cool to be proud of the crusades but sod it, today's the one day we should be able to say that our ancestors didn't do half bad, even if they did wreak a bit of havoc on the way)

Last edited by Lord Percy on 11:18 - 23 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Happy St George's Day Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
No doubt the pubs will be full of Scottish and Irish revellers dressed in silly hats drinking English Ale.

Oh no, actually we've been taught not to celebrate being English, only St Paddy's Day and Burns night are allowed in England...

I didn't even know it was today until I say the daily Google logo. What is it with the English which makes us so ashamed of our countries identity?

bnp72 staying true to form.

Thumbs Up
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If today was that important to you, then you wouldn't need the media to tell you when it is St. George's Day.

kippyzona
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely we should have an English patron saint?
St Alban is the man.
If we have a day off to celebrate him it will be on June 22.Nice long day and it should be warmer.
St George , on your bike.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Did you know before today?

Yes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:06 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kippyzona wrote:
Surely we should have an English patron saint?
St Alban is the man.

Saint Frank.

https://i.imgur.com/Si8Rr2R.jpg

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same date every year....

I don't get why you are bitching about a "special" day that obviously doesn't mean that much to you.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I see Comrade Corbyn is trying to win votes by promising 4 extra bank holidays for the 4 national saints days across the UK.

He must have missed that St Andrews Day is already a bank holiday in Scotland and St Patricks Day is a Bank holiday in N.Ireland.

Why not just make St George's Day a bank holiday in England only then?

I'm quite liking this idea, which is to make the whole country have public holidays on these days rather than them just being local holidays for each specific country.

It would bring UK public holiday numbers in line with most other developed countries, and would also raise awareness or create some kind of 'unity' between our 4 seemingly divided nations.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a thread about you showing your national pride?

So much pride that you didn't even know what the date is...

Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:36 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
create some kind of 'unity' between our 4 seemingly divided nations.

I'm sure the Unions will be delighted at having another 4 days of indolence paid for by squeezing the productive even harder.

Or do you imagine that we'd all magically get it retconned into our contracts?

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:47 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
No, it's a thread about how liberal views and multiculturalism has watered down the national identity of England

Oh please, the only reason people 'celebrate' St. Paddy's day is that it's a widely-encouraged excuse to get maggoted. Today it's centred around pisshead stereotyping more than cultural identity. They may as well call it Buy Guinness Day.

I've never seen people out for St. Andrew's day, but then again I live south of the Humber.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:12 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben90 wrote:
I've never seen people out for St. Andrew's day, but then again I live south of the Humber.

It's a non-event. It's only been a public-sector ("bank") holiday since 2007. I can't even say I've noticed the traffic being any lighter.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:21 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Why don't we celebrate St George's Day as a widely encouraged excuse to get maggoted?

Why don't you? Heroes lead from the front.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Scotland and Ireland are overly proud of themselves

Don't forget the Welsh, they never fucking shut up about it either. Blaming people who are alive now for oppression that took place before any of us were born, fuck off.

And I'm supposed to support Andy Murray because he's British, bollocks, he said it himself, he's Scottish not British. I'm supposed to support Wales, Scotland or Ireland when they're not playing England, that can fuck off too. I'll support anyone else Vs them. Middle Finger Middle Finger

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was aware of the date, it's always three days before my birthday. My news feed has no mention of anything to do
with St Georges day except this which kind of sums up the original point.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/795110/Emily-Thornberry-St-George-s-Day-Labour

Couple of bottles of Adnams Ghost ship going down the hatch later btw.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty pubs round here advertising it, flags flying etc.

Perhaps if bnp72 left the house a bit more he'd see these things?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2