Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

speeding new rules

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: speeding new rules Reply with quote

Speeding new rules, do not get caught Laughing

Drivers caught well over the speed limit from next week face a fine amounting to 150 per cent of their weekly earnings.

https://i.imgur.com/p89ywOY.jpg

Exceeding the limit by these amounts will also have further ramifications, with a ban of seven to 56 days - depending on the gravity of the offence - as well as adding six points on their licence.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-4424108/As-fines-rise-speeding-laws-changed-years.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:13 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: speeding new rules Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Speeding new rules, do not get caught Laughing

Drivers caught well over the speed limit from next week face a fine amounting to 150 per cent of their weekly earnings.

https://i.imgur.com/p89ywOY.jpg

Exceeding the limit by these amounts will also have further ramifications, with a ban of seven to 56 days - depending on the gravity of the offence - as well as adding six points on their licence.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-4424108/As-fines-rise-speeding-laws-changed-years.html

I believe these guidelines only apply to a court case. The fixed penalty of 3 points + £100 are still extant, however fixed penalties can only be given up to a certain speed.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/0OFCh4q.png

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if they want to build a new hospital all they need to do is catch a Premier League footballer doing 41 in a 20.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they tried this before and then scrapped it.

My take is it will just target the law abiding. If you are a scrote on the dole you are laughing.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

My take is it will just target the law abiding.

That's usually the flaw with laws in general. That if you genuinely don't give a hoot about what the law says and do
whatever you like, if you can just manage to not kill or seriously injure someone then you're very unlikely to see the
inside of a prison. They don't want another convict to provide for (courtesy of the productive), they want your money.
But first you have to have some for them to take. If you are of the lawbreaking nature you will be generally
incompatible with the workplace so who cares what they do?? They can't take your dole away (Also courtesy of
the productive). And every run in with the Police (Yet again courtesy of the productive) just ensures you stay on that
dole permanently being paid to do whatever you fancy doing and not much else. In short any way you look at it,
the working person foots the bill, while the errant folk out there make a mockery of all their laws and posturing.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:10 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
So if they want to build a new hospital all they need to do is catch a Premier League footballer doing 41 in a 20.

Maximum fine is £2,500 on a motorway, £1000 if not.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: speeding new rules Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Drivers

Could this be a loop hole? Thinking

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:34 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: speeding new rules Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Val wrote:
Drivers

Could this be a loop hole? Thinking

Wut? That we "ride" rather than "drive"?

No.

But, but...

No. No, and thrice no. You are either walking on the highway, or you are driving. Car, motorcycle, pedal cycle, horse, invalid carriage, skateboard: if it's got wheels or hooves (or tracks or a plenum chamber), and you are in control of it, you are driving it.

Note that The Motor Cycles (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1998 spells out that it applies to everyone "driving" a motorcycle (i.e. at the controls) and to those "riding" on it (as a pillion).

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: speeding new rules Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Note that The Motor Cycles (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1998 spells out that it applies to everyone "driving" a motorcycle (i.e. at the controls) and to those "riding" on it (as a pillion).

Although a Freeman on the Land will try to convince you they are in fact travelling in an unregistered conveyance rather than driving a car. And some shit about standing under maritime law. Or something.

Because Asshats.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phase 1 - drop lots of 30 limits to 20 and 60 to 40.
Phase 2 - raise maximum fine.
Phase 3 - profit???

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Phase 1 - drop lots of 30 limits to 20 and 60 to 40.
Phase 2 - raise maximum fine.
Phase 3 - profit???

They have dropped a huge number of single carriage way roads to 50 round here. The whole length of the road from town to town including long straights rather than just winding or so called dangerous sections.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:23 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that's more about reducing the standard of road surface that they're supposed[*] to maintain. But yes, it makes collecting Speed Tax easier.

[*] I was going to say "required", but I do not think they think that means what I think that means.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do treat familiar 50mph down speeded roads as 60's still, if it's safe and clear to do so. I think the state of the tarmac and the amount it costs to maintain it has naff all to do with it though.

I think it's the stats of the last few years, showing how many moronic doddering fools and the ditzy un-concerned with piloting their vehicles types, that have become statistics, or used up police time sweeping up the glass and plastic off the road.

The new Limits for 150% fines don't concern me either. There's not many NSL single carriageway roads I know or like, that wouldn't be extremely interesting by 91mph. Not sure what the rest of you think?

If your S1000RR has to be massively into 3figures for the thrills, I think your taking it down the wrong roads?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I do treat familiar 50mph down speeded roads as 60's still, if it's safe and clear to do so.

Would that be because the speed limit is disproportionate to the road hazard ie set incorrectly? In circumstances such, ACPO guidelines are not to heavily enforce but indeed to review and revise the speed limit as where speed limits seem appropriate compliance rate is far higher.

Happens a lot, right?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:
I do treat familiar 50mph down speeded roads as 60's still, if it's safe and clear to do so.

Would that be because the speed limit is disproportionate to the road hazard ie set incorrectly? In circumstances such, ACPO guidelines are not to heavily enforce but indeed to review and revise the speed limit as where speed limits seem appropriate compliance rate is far higher.

Happens a lot, right?

Reminds me of this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw - Canadian but I suspect accurate the world over.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Not sure what the rest of you think?

That's why I highlighted the 20 and 40 limits. They've made entire boroughs into 20 zones in parts of London, doing 41 in what used to be a 30 zone isn't that unreasonable. Similarly 66 on a road which used to be 60.

20 limits really get on my nerves anyway, it's a ridiculous speed to be doing on a main road.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My roads a 20 road. As a concept I have no real issue with it. It's so uneven and bumpy that anything faster
will damage your vehicle. Amuses me that the councils highway inspector lives in my street. By far the worst offenders
for completely ignoring the 20 limit are women around either of the school times. The very ones whos sacred fucking offspring
the damn 20 limit was put in to protect in the first place. They all seem to drive Quashquai type cars so you hear the tyre
noise rumbling toward you as they hurtle past at I'd estimate maybe 35-40 mph. Presumably they soak up the bumps
better than cars like mine, but even in my van it's like a fairground ride. In second place, delivery vans. DPD, Iceland,
Asda, Royal Mail vans to name but a few of the regular offenders. As I said, for the most part I think in residential
streets, and in my case there are 4 nearby schools it's a good idea. The kids living opposite are going up and down on
their bikes after school or kicking a ball around and there are a few others in the very near vicinity that play outside
in the street. Shame their own mothers can't pry themselves away from Facebook soon enough to get them to school
on time without speeding. Rolling Eyes

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:02 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Happens a lot, right?

Aye, the limits are revised downwards Sad

Around here one 40 limit was changed to a 30 limit despite the objections of the police. That is how much the highways people care.

All the best

Katy

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:16 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: speeding new rules Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Although a Freeman on the Land will try to convince you they are in fact travelling in an unregistered conveyance rather than driving a car. And some shit about standing under maritime law. Or something.

Or people recognising a basic right to travel without being byklyfers.

Obviously they should follow the guff civil servants and vested interests come up with do what the legal system says and stay within the road traffic act like this example set forth by a law abiding citizen.

https://stv.tv/news/tayside/1386190-celtic-fan-seen-riding-mobility-scooter-along-the-a9/

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: speeding new rules Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
horse, invalid carriage, skateboard: if it's got wheels or hooves (or tracks or a plenum chamber), and you are in control of it, you are driving it.

Note that The Motor Cycles (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1998

Classic Rog.
Even if it relates to toys or 4 legged animals, citation is provided.

Only way I see myself falling foul of most of these limits, is next time someone tries to run me down and I feel safer putting as much distance a quickly as possible.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be the case that a 50 limit meant HGVs did 50 not 40 as in an NSL single carriageway, so many of the limits were put in to discourage dangerous overtakes of HGVs. Remember that a significant section of the population will cruise at 45 everywhere, both on an unchallenging NSL and past your kids school.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:02 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennetts explain why this is not a big deal.

It feels strange to get biking news from an insurer, but they really are less clickbaity and more substantive than the likes of MCN or VisorDown.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:07 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this means anybody that does 41+ or 51+ on the motorway could get £2500 fine.

Just is case your wondering how I came up with those figures, that's 20mph and 30mph that I see regularly for the speed they decide put up on the motorways. Usually a coupe of miles before roadworks or more often than not, just because they can.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:46 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, if you earn £150,000.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2