Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1999 R6 engine cutting out at low revs/coming to a stop

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mase101
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:47 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: 1999 R6 engine cutting out at low revs/coming to a stop Reply with quote

Hi there, has been a long time since I have been on here! Have had my licence about 4 years now, had a cbr600 before, sold it and haven't had a bike for about 2 year... until now!
I have had the urge for a while to get back on a bike and now I have taken the plunge! Just bought a 1999 r6, nice low miler with 7k on the clock, mileage all accounted for. Has been sat in the fellas garage for 5 years without any use. Took the bike for a test ride, and took my uncle with me who is an experienced rider. He did mention before I bought it that the carbs needed cleaning and for the whole ride back the bike kept cutting out when I would stop at lights or a junction if I didn't keep the revs up. He seems to think it's just that the carbs need cleaning, would like some advice on what people think? My uncle seems to think it's just that. But I have just handed over a large amount of money for It! It's in the bike garage now and getting looked at on Monday! Thanks for reading and hope to hear some replies on what people think soon! Here's a pic of her also

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""""My uncle seems to think it's just that."""""
I agree but rust in the carbs is possible.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:25 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 years of standing.

Rip the carbs apart and give everything a very good clean, make sure it's spotless and bang it back together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
5 years of standing.

Rip the carbs apart and give everything a very good clean, make sure it's spotless and bang it back together.

I'd agree and raise you splitting the bank and tossing the lot in an ultrasonic bath for an hour.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At such low milage I doubt it's an issue but A friend of mine bought a superb looking 9 R6, the only problem is it cut out at lights and ran pretty rough. Not having much experience on inline 4 engines he thought it was just an ajustment problem.

Turned out the 5eb engine had eaten the top corner of a piston liner Rolling Eyes

They are very well known for doing this and spare engines can be a problem.

He ended up buying a newer engine and heathing it in there.

Again, very much hope this isnt the problem you have but I won't go near a 5eb for exactly this reason :-\
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mase101
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:19 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope that's not the case but I agree it is an old bike even though it's a low miler, so it's a bit of a gamble but one I have taken so will just have to hope for the best! Thanks for the replies anyhow
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1