Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MCE Insurance Card Payment Woes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:07 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: MCE Insurance Card Payment Woes Reply with quote

Has anyone else had problem with MCE's direct debit insurance? For the past three months it's failed due to a "technical problem" at their end. I'm getting fucked off with it to the point where I'm thinking of changing insurers. They keep ringing up apologizing but FFS surely they can sort a fundamental problem like actually taking payment out pretty sharpish or am I just being unrealistic?

Last edited by Motorhate on 08:37 - 24 Apr 2017; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:27 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of folk have mentioned it. You're still on the MID, you have a certificate, right? Your actual policy will have been pre-paid in full for year - not being billed for the loan doesn't seem like much of a problem. You have the self control to not spend that money, right?

mattyfattyboo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:54 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCE fucked me off when they no longer allowed direct debit payments (monthly) and only via continuous card payment. Tossers.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyfattyboomboom wrote:
MCE fucked me off when they no longer allowed direct debit payments (monthly) and only via continuous card payment. Tossers.

When did they stop DD payments? I was paying by direct debit up until January when my renewal was due and never once had an issue. One of the times I spoke to them they said they DON'T auto renew policies.... but maybe that's something they've recently started too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 05:19 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
A couple of folk have mentioned it. You're still on the MID, you have a certificate, right? Your actual policy will have been pre-paid in full for year - not being billed for the loan doesn't seem like much of a problem. You have the self control to not spend that money, right?

Not sure how to check I'm on the MID but I do have a certificate which states both my bikes are insured up until October.
The money is always in the account, it just doesn't get paid to them by DD anymore as they keep telling me "there's a fault with their computers". This has been happening since January.

mattyfattyboomboom wrote:

This sounds like what they're doing to me, only they started this in January and every month have rung me to say that their system hasn't taken payment because of a computer error. If they were up front and told me that they don't take DD payments any more then fine, but why bullshit me about a computer problem? I'll be changing insurers anyway when my policy has expired in October. I'm fed up with them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:57 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:
Not sure how to check I'm on the MID

https://askmid.com/

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:24 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: MCE Auto Renewal Insurance Reply with quote

You need to change the title to MCE DD PROBLEMS... As this has nothing to do with auto renewall Rolling Eyes which is a card payment.

Motorhate wrote:
They keep ringing up apologizing but FFS surely they can sort a fundamental problem like actually taking payment out pretty sharpish or am I just being unrealistic?

RAISE A COMPLAINT.

Do not let them resolve it, unless they compensate you for all the distress this is causing you.

Dig out you policy and see how much they charge for a failed DD (think it also increases each month it fails) and charge them the same.
I would also be looking for a £££ payout for distress and the time that you have had to waste sorting out their problem.

By the time you have finished you should be getting a free years ins out of them Laughing

I would also make sure that they are self reporting this issoe, as clearly they are losing customer information. A serious issue that will see them with a big fine.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:38 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed the title but having checked their site, they state:

Quote:
Monthly payment is available - we operate a Payment Plan where we debit your Card every month instead of using a direct debit.

so effectively it's an automatic card payment. Either way, it should be automatic without any manual intervention from me. Might ring them today and see what's going on and if they start with the "computer problems" crap I'm going to have a proper falling down moment.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate auto card payments. You can't just stop them like DD's and as far as I can see you can't easily find out who has card paynments set up unlike you can with DD.

I have had to cancel cards to stop payments going out in the past.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:05 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insightful. I would never do business with anyone who insists on continuous card billing. Especially an insurer.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:50 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Insightful. I would never do business with anyone who insists on continuous card billing. Especially an insurer.

Agree. They can basically take money off you and it's up to you to get a refund off them. Definitley looking for another insurance company in October.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just makes me disregard any MCE quotes for the bike(s) I'm insuring next week, despite the fact I'll almost certainly pay it all at once.

It strikes me as a ploy similar to PC World's one, that you forget about the recurring payment and have to chase up for a refund. I suspect most people won't.

mattyfattyboo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:24 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, sounds like the same issue I had. I dont like continuous card payments anyway, but for something like insurance they can get stuffed. The first time a renewed I was a bit off guard and went with it, it was a nightmare because everything that comes in and goes out my account over a weekend will go out on the Monday but the card payment doesnt, it will go out on a Saturday/Sunday. The amount of times I got a call asking for payment on a Sunday because the money wouldnt be in the account till the Monday hacked me off. When the time came to renew I left, citing this as the reason (even though as above, my policy is cheap enough to be paid outright now).

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

A bit late now, but you could have just reported it lost. Laughing

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

A bit late now, but you could have just reported it lost. Laughing

Same difference. They stop the card and issue a new one with a new number in both cases so you don't gain anything reporting it stolen.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Same difference. They stop the card and issue a new one with a new number in both cases so you don't gain anything reporting it stolen.

Ahh, my misunderstanding, I had assumed you meant the account itself. Doh!

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, got you. No, just requested a card to be cancelled and a new one issued. Once the number has changed they can't debit the account.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:35 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the usual call came through this morning as the payment had failed yet again.

I questioned them that how could an IT problem last three months without any hope of rectification or date as to when it’d be fixed?

MCE: “I know it’s unfortunate”.

Me: Well that’s not really answer is it? It doesn’t instil much confidence in me if you can’t take simple payments from cards automatically.

MCE: I know. It’s unfortunate but our IT department are working to get this rectified.

Me: Three months? Who’s working on it? The Three Stooges?

MCE: Pardon

Me: I said, who’s working on it? The Three Stooges

MCE: Not sure, it’ll be someone from our IT department

Me: FFS!

MCE: Do you want to make a payment today?

Me: Well, what are my options?

MCE: Pardon

Me: What are my options?

MCE: Ummm … you can pay or you can cancel your policy

Me: Well if I cancel I’ll incur a penalty charge for cancelling

MCE: Oh there’s no charge for cancelling.

Me: Then why do you say there is in your terms and conditions and also when I took the policy out? You could just take it out anyway and that would be that, although given the state your IT system is in at the moment, you probably couldn’t. Funny, I’m not a betting man, but I’d wager that it would spring into life if you wanted to take a cancellation fee off me.

MCE: I’m not quite sure what you mean

Me: Are you seriously telling me that you have to ring every single customer for card payment because of this problem?

MCE: Yes, it’s unfortunate

Me: Blimey, sack your IT team, they’re as useful as a marzipan dildo.

MCE: Did you want to make a payment today?

Me: Go on then, what’s the worst that could happen?

MCE: Pardon?

Me: Never mind.

After THREE attempts, the payment went through. I’ll not be renewing with them again. Fuck that.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:39 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you wasting your time answering their calls, let along arguing with Apu?

Do you imagine that they're going to instruct the underwriter to cancel the policy because they failed to take the (unconnected) loan payment by the method they'd agreed with you? How do you imagine that would play out for them?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now realise why I wasn't successful in getting a job with MCE as a developer; I probably scared them by having a clue.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Ah, got you. No, just requested a card to be cancelled and a new one issued. Once the number has changed they can't debit the account.

Sadly a fact that is not true....

A recurring payment can be transferred to a new card. Via Visa Account Updater, master card have the same thing. Retailer has 5 days to do this (update card details) once they are aware.
In fact a Rt can be processed on a card that has been stopped and also passed it exp date.... Latest I have seen is 3 years passed exp... And this is all within the Visa regulations Shocked

Your card provider should be advising you that, while you have to update a retailer, they can still take payments, as a RT does not go for authorisation... It is just taken.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Sadly a fact that is not true....

A recurring payment can be transferred to a new card. Via Visa Account Updater, master card have the same thing. Retailer has 5 days to do this (update card details) once they are aware.
In fact a Rt can be processed on a card that has been stopped and also passed it exp date.... Latest I have seen is 3 years passed exp... And this is all within the Visa regulations Shocked

Your card provider should be advising you that, while you have to update a retailer, they can still take payments, as a RT does not go for authorisation... It is just taken.

If they don't know the card number or the security number they can't take any money so how can this be? It's certainly worked in my case.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

If they don't know the card number or the security number they can't take any money so how can this be? It's certainly worked in my case.

For a ongoing card payment, the retailer simply reuses the card number. CVV is not required for this type of payment.

As you say, sometimes it works. But as I said the Visa regs are clear that a retailer can bypass a stopped card very easily.

A good one that I come across often. Is the likes of mcafee send out a email stating that card details are no longer valid/expired and want you to update them. People think Oh great.... Then a month later are up in arms as they have taken the payment....

Nowt as strange as companies using recurring payments.. Laughing

People also need to be aware that just about every retailer will retain your card details anyway.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:49 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Why are you wasting your time answering their calls, let along arguing with Apu?

Do you imagine that they're going to instruct the underwriter to cancel the policy because they failed to take the (unconnected) loan payment by the method they'd agreed with you? How do you imagine that would play out for them?

I was just hoping they'd give me the real reason they have to ring up every month to take payment. You are of course right but I was instructed that they'd cancel my policy if I didn't make payment. I'd be tempted to put them to the test, but I don't fancy getting three points of the old bill for riding an uninsured bike. The old bill wouldn't really care about MCE being complete fuckwits and not being able to take a payment I'm sure.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 337 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3