MCE Insurance Card Payment Woes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:

I was just hoping they'd give me the real reason they have to ring up every month to take payment. You are of course right but I was instructed that they'd cancel my policy if I didn't make payment. I'd be tempted to put them to the test, but I don't fancy getting three points of the old bill for riding an uninsured bike. The old bill wouldn't really care about MCE being complete fuckwits and not being able to take a payment I'm sure.

would make a interesting complaint to FOS.... Insurance cancelled because THEY failed to take the fund when they already have the authority to do so...

Someone needs to raise this with the FOS & info commission over their failure to secure customer details.
But that needs to be a customer.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:22 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've drafted a letter to the FOS complaining about the situation. Hopefully they'll kick their arses and get this problem sorted. I've also asked for some compo for my inconvenicne but I don't hold out much hope. MCE will probably refuse to insure me now Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:34 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to complain to MCE first. It's 8 weeks before you can go to the FOS. This is why we keep saying: complain immediately, the moment anything goes wrong.

https://www.mceinsurance.com/content/mce-complaints/

Also, don't let them fob it off as an "informal complaint". The issue isn't the speed of their "investigation", it's getting a satisfactory resolution.

MCE wrote:
Here at MCE Insurance we are committed to delivering an exceptional customer experience at every opportunity

Well, no argument there.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:26 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You have to complain to MCE first. It's 8 weeks before you can go to the FOS. This is why we keep saying: complain immediately, the moment anything goes wrong.

https://www.mceinsurance.com/content/mce-complaints/

Also, don't let them fob it off as an "informal complaint". The issue isn't the speed of their "investigation", it's getting a satisfactory resolution.

MCE wrote:
Here at MCE Insurance we are committed to delivering an exceptional customer experience at every opportunity

Well, no argument there.

Would a verbal bollocking not be sufficiant. I've had words with them for the last three months about this or do I have to go through "offical channels" ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, raise it as a formal complaint. You don't have to be shouty ranty, but if you put those words in they cannot ignore it (well, they can, but you can then raise it above them).

It is the only way to be taken seriously, as they are clearly ignoring the complaints you make every time they call you.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:33 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:
I've had words with them for the last three months about this or do I have to go through "offical channels" ?

Formal complaints procedure or go home.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:02 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to a biking podcast 'Front End Chatter' It is run by a couple of bike journos. It's really good, they discuss Racing, new bikes they've ridden and things that affect the biking world. They also answer a lot of reader mail.

Recently someone with a new Africa Twin, emailed to complain about a few things on their bike, wheel corrosion and crap heated grips I believe. They got in touch with a contact at Honda and gave advice how to handle it. Off the back of this other people also emailed to say they had the same issues.

It might be worth chucking them an email see if they can use their contacts to find anything more about it it could also be a rallying call for other people to complain and maybe shine a bit more light on the fuck up.

Also they are sponsored by bennetts so they'd love it Laughing

If someone can dig out the other threads about this I'll chuck them a mail.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:37 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, if we actually had a biking press that did more than regurgitate press releases and rate every new bike as eleven-stars-would-shill-again, this is the sort of thing they should be all over.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:41 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, confusion reigns. I rang MCE (20mins waiting to get through to an operator) and according to the bod on the phone, the problem was fixed last week. So … I ask why I had to provide my details this week. Couldn’t give an answer. I explained that this is worrying as it seems nobody knows what’s going on. I ask to speak to manager. No manager available (conveniently). I ask what I should do if I’m called next month to provide card details. I’d need to provide them for payment to happen but it definitely won’t happen as the problem has been fixed. I can’t really argue with that if they say the problem is fixed, but if they do call next month, I’m really tempted not to pay and see what happens.

I can’t help feeling I’m being fobbed off here but I’ve been assured the problem is fixed. If I could get evidence of someone being asked to provide card details after the this week then they’d be proven to be bullshitting.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:45 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Mmm, if we actually had a biking press that did more than regurgitate press releases and rate every new bike as eleven-stars-would-shill-again, this is the sort of thing they should be all over.

They are pretty free talking on the podcast Thumbs Up

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:

I can’t help feeling I’m being fobbed off here but I’ve been assured the problem is fixed. If I could get evidence of someone being asked to provide card details after the this week then they’d be proven to be bullshitting.

Simple solution - raise a formal complaint about it!

Seriously. It will take you less time than you've spent on the phone to them already.

If it really is fixed then they can say that and you can decide if you want to let it rest - next month, when you've had the call or not!

If it isn't fixed then you are then closer to be able to raise a complaint to FOS.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:33 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Simple solution - raise a formal complaint about it!

A million times that. Brick Wall

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:35 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:

Ste wrote:
Motorhate wrote:
I've had words with them for the last three months about this or do I have to go through "offical channels" ?

Formal complaints procedure or go home.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:21 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent them the following:

Quote:
Hello,

I'd like to raise this as an official complaint please.

For the past three months I've been called to provide my card details for my monthly payment on my policy, as your computer system has failed to take automatic payment.

I find this unacceptable on many levels as you are in effect relying on the fact that I am available and able to provide payment details via the phone to complete this task. I’m reluctant to do this as you already have my details and authorisation to take payment. This is also extremely inconvenient for me as I have been called during work hours and have had to set aside time to deal with this and have to be available and provide my card details.

I was initially reluctant to give my details as I am wary of scam phone calls but was threatened with my insurance being cancelled if I didn't provide details. I'm assuming you do realise that if word got out that this is how you are taking payment then it would be open to scammers getting card details from unsuspecting customers?

I have yet to receive a proper explanation as to what was the root cause of the problem was. I was told over the phone this morning that the problem had been resolved but am still angry that my financial details may have been compromised.

I would like this lodged as a formal complaint and also a reference number I can use for any further correspondance. If I do not receive a satisfactory response I will have no other option than to speak to the Financial Services Ombudsman about this unacceptable situation.

It'll probably be ignored knowing MCE.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:32 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one. To where have you sent it? I note that they want you to call, as that makes it easier to lose / not record it.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:08 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Nice one. To where have you sent it? I note that they want you to call, as that makes it easier to lose / not record it.

I've emailed them directly via their site, as you can't get past the call-centre wallah or at least the supervisor who fob you off with the usual "it won't happen again, no manager available" etc. I've spoken to someone in work who used to work in insurance and they tend to not ignore emails that mention the FSO. Hopefully, MCE will do likewise.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I've emailed them directly via their site, as you can't get past the call-centre wallah or at least the supervisor who fob you off with the usual "it won't happen again, no manager available" etc. I've spoken to someone in work who used to work in insurance and they tend to not ignore emails that mention the FSO. Hopefully, MCE will do likewise.

They cannot ignore a complaint via a phone call. It has to be logged. Failure to do so (losing call would be big no no) would see them on the wrong side of FOS. As after 8 weeks with no resolution you can go to FOS. Aside from that if unresolved, they need to send out hold letters every 10 days....

Fact is, even if they say the issue is fixed now. You can still raise a complaint and expect £££ for the inconvenience & distress they have caused.
I would hold out for at least what they charge for each failed collection and say £100 for the distress of not knowing if you were insured or not... Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:17 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
They cannot ignore a complaint via a phone call. It has to be logged.

https://i.imgur.com/nhhGc9O.gif

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:46 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, another update if anyones interested.

After being assured that all the problems have been sorted I've had numerous missed calls and an email stating that card payment has failed. I've had no response from my initial complaint either.

I think the ombudsman route looks likely (although it hasn't been 8 weeks yet).

Really begrudge having to ring them to renew my monthly payment as this was supposed to be set up to work automatically.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:15 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into what a policy elsewhere would cost you?

If it's less than or even comparable to MCE, I'd feel free to ignore them. Keep checking the MID, buy elsewhere if you show up as uninsured.

And no, I wouldn't declare it as a refused or cancelled policy, but I would continue the complaint.

Feel free to invoice them an administration fee for every time you've contacted them. What's their fee? £35 a call? £50?

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:52 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did check, all are more expensive unfortunately. I've only got one month left to pay now which will cover me up to October but that's not the point. I see where you're coming from with the whole ignoring them and getting another policy but if they cancel it, I'm sure another company would find out and I'll be blacklisted.

I just got off the phone to them as I was getting more and more angry the more I thought about it. Spoke to the bod on the phone who just wanted payment and got them to confirm the issue was again at their end. This was confirmed and I asked to speak to manager…

“Sorry manager not available”

“OK, I’m going to raise a complaint with the Insurance Ombudsman”

“Hang on, I’ll just get the manager”.

Manager miraculously appears on the phone.

I told them the whole rigmarole of what had gone on over the past four months, how much of a pile of shite their company is, and that I want compo for the inconvenience they’ve caused. £30 sheets a month should cover it for the phone calls and stress. No can do they said. OK, no problem, I’m going to financial services people about it. “OK, we’ll give you £30 off this months payment and we won’t fine you”. Cue me going ballistic to which she quickly withdrew the threat to fine me for late payment.
Bottom line (after calling bullshit numerous times to her comments on various things from IT glitches to “it never happening again”) they’re going to consider my complaint and respond to me within 72 hours. If not, complaint is going to ombudsman. Never will I use MCE again.

*** UPDATE ***

It would appear that pants have been shat and they've rang me back offering to waive this months payment for me. Given the circumstances, I think this is the best I'm going to get (for now anyway). I've told them I want the complaint call held open until next month to see if the payment will go through automatically. They've reluctantly agreed. It's amazing what the threat of the insurance ombudsman does to grease the skids of justice.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is why I would get a bank loan to pay up front insurance if that's what it took.
I just thank BCF for warning me before I signed up here or got my first insurance policy.
Never will I do pay monthly, they're all cockfarts and i'll do anything to avoid speaking to insurers.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:

“OK, I’m going to raise a complaint with the Insurance Ombudsman”

You mean Financial Ombudsman Service,.
*** UPDATE ***

Motorhate wrote:

It would appear that pants have been shat and they've rang me back offering to waive this months payment for me. Given the circumstances, I think this is the best I'm going to get (for now anyway). I've told them I want the complaint call held open until next month to see if the payment will go through automatically. They've reluctantly agreed. It's amazing what the threat of the insurance ombudsman does to grease the skids of justice.

Hold out. You should be getting at least £100 for the distress and costs involved in having to chase them to provide details they have no right in losing....

Makes interesting reading

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:51 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they've rang me back 3 times today so far twice from the head of customer complaints no less. It seems that the mere mention of a Financial Services Ombudsman get things moving.

I did contemplate holding out iooi, but to be honest, I've spent over an hour on the phone today and I'm done with it. £60 on top is enough for me for now. However, if the same thing happens next month, I'm going to unleash the hounds on them. I've had nothing but promises it won't happen again so if it does, that's it. I'm demanding the extra they charged me for paying monthly plus a bit on top for the agg.

I won't be renewing with them again, that's for sure. Although they're the cheapest, I'm not going through it all again. It just isn't worth the hassle. Word to the wise, if you do decide to use them pay up front and be done with it.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:24 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up paying a bit more, but I decided as a result of this thread, not to touch MCE. I don't need all this kind of bullshit for the sake of £30, and reading around, it's not just that you are unlucky, lots of people have to deal with their bullshit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3