BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Keeway 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Soulfly71
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:47 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Keeway 125 Reply with quote

Hey all, newbie on here and to biking, got myself a Keeway 125 superlight recently, had it about 7-8weeks, it's no a bad wee bike really, 1st week the right hand mirror fell off...now got bar end mirrors as the stock ones were crap anyway, can now see stuff behind me instead of my whole arms and a smidge of rear sight.
Added different bars and removed the rear pegs as I'm never gonna pull 2 ppl on it lol.
Done over 1000kms so far, gave it an oil change t'other day, stuff that came out was filthy, as per advice on other threads I gave it some 10/40 and it seems to be ok.

Looking to upgrade a couple of parts until I do my das though, looking at a different carb, rear sprocket, air filter and exhuast mod, any advice on the carbs would be helpful ie, which type might be best to up the jets or could I do it with the current carb as it's a generic Chinese one and a bit unsure as to what's already in it.
Thanks in advance. 😀

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrading it will be pointless im afraid, if you thinking its gonna go any faster - it wont

If its reliably as it is, keep it like that

Sorry if its not what you wanted to hear
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Soulfly71
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:35 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard this about 4strone 125's, mebe better saving ma dosh for the test I suppose which is what I'm after anyway, still, il keep the wee bike as a runabout for my wife or sell it on towards a bigger beastie.
Thanks. 😉😉

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:00 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Keeway 125 Reply with quote

Soulfly71 wrote:
looking at a different carb, rear sprocket, air filter and exhuast mod

What are you trying to achieve?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Keeway 125 Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Soulfly71 wrote:
looking at a different carb, rear sprocket, air filter and exhuast mod

What are you trying to achieve?

#byklyf

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Keeway 125 Reply with quote

Soulfly71 wrote:

Added different bars and removed the rear pegs as I'm never gonna pull 2 ppl on it lol.

Don't forget to put them back on for the MOT!

Soulfly71 wrote:

Looking to upgrade a couple of parts until I do my das though

I wouldn't bother. Unless you throw silly money at it, you'll just end up with a bike that is no faster and runs like shit.

Last edited by Evil Hans on 17:58 - 24 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Soulfly71
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:16 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had seen a few youtube vids about increasing top end but think I won't bother, it is after all a runabout till I do my test, then get a moderate 600 like a divvy or some such like.
😉

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:37 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was forever meddling with my 125. Here's my verdict.

Removing the catalytic converters from the exhaust and increasing the main jet from 90 to 95 may - may - have unlocked a tiny bit more power. I might have got another couple of mph out of it on the flat. Or I might have imagined it.

Increasing the front sprocket from 15 to 16 and then 17 teeth dropped the revs required to hold any given speed and made it more relaxed to ride when not at its top speed. It didn't increase the top speed, since like all 4T 125s it was limited by peak power, not revs. It made 5th essentially useless for top speed.

Replacing the airbox with a cone filter made it louder but no faster. It made it harder to start, and it hesitated when rolling on. Restoring the stock airbox helped.

Nothing else made the slightest difference, or it made it worse. I cut-and-shut the cats out of the exhausts as a porject, not as a real performance enhancement.

Leaving everything as stock and getting yourself a licence and a bigger bike is the most cost effective performance enhancement you can do.

Soulfly71
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:43 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving everything as stock and getting yourself a licence and a bigger bike is the most cost effective performance enhancement you can do.[/quote]

👍👍👍Sounds exactly like the other advice given, I appreciate the advice given, I shall be doing no engine mods as I currently top out about 65mph (depending on the wind direction) lol
Getting a bigger bike will be a better investment and will probably need no more modding apart from the usual styling mods to suit, the 125 will do for now as ive not been biking for a few years anyway and the extra experience will help till test day along with some lessons on a 500, thanks for all the advice.much appreciated folks, great forum which I'll definitely be keeping in my phones desktop. Cheers. 😅😅

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Keeway 125 Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Soulfly71 wrote:

Don't forget to put them back on for the MOT!

Why on earth would you fail for no rear pegs? I've had a couple go through with no issues with rear pegs removed.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:50 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Keeway 125 Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Why on earth would you fail for no rear pegs? I've had a couple go through with no issues with rear pegs removed.

Pillion foot rests are not required on motor bicycles that only have a single seat. In addition some motor bicycles used on or after 14 June 1993, which are intended to carry a passenger may not be fitted with footrests but with hand holds attached to the motor bicycles frame adjacent to, or part of the seat. Refer to manufacturers information eg owners handbook.

Fail: a missing or insecure footrest.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Keeway 125 Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Er ... because it's an MOT failure?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1