Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DAS the right choice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:03 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: DAS the right choice Reply with quote

I have been on a CBT for almost 7 months and have quite enjoyed my experience in riding for the most part, nothing that has scared me away yet.

I am now thinking to just get the full license and move up to a 400-600cc (not yet decided on bike) as the 125cc just isn't doing it for me. I'm not a speed freak but I would like something that feels more solid, is able to hold 70 comfortably and has a decent 0-60 but more on that after my test!

Which DAS providers would you guys recommend in the North/East of London? I went to A2Z riders for my CBT who seemed okay (nothing to compare them to tbh).

What's a reasonable price to pay?

Since I'm here, maybe a silly question, but do you recommend I just book my theory now while I'm doing research on DAS providers, since it lasts for 2 years?

Thanks

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, get your theory out of the way, then concentrate on getting your mod 1 & 2 done, before your cbt runs out, for no other reason other than it'll be a waste of money if you let it lapse, and have to redo it before your mod 1 & 2 tests, whichever method you choose to do it, be it DAS or on your own

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are aiming for DAS this year, then get the theory booked. It can take a while to get a slot, depending upon where you are etc., so best not to have that holding you up.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theory test is a game and I applied no logic and after being shown the "correct" answer once I then henceforth memorised it and when it got to test day the questions, some at least, where almost like for like. I got the DVD from the DVSA website, something like twenty quid at the time IIRC?

I paid around £800-850 all in for my A2 with one re-test for a module included in that so could haven about £150-170 cheaper approx should I have passed first time.

Spread the cost out and do one module at a time. Being confident and being able to pass are two different things.

Any company you go with go with from the start as I tried to switch halfway to fast track and they wanted me to start all over again, balls to that. Most places are going to want 3-4 days out of you or thereabouts to prove your worth on the more powerful bike.

Waiting times are forever and a year and for me it was a pain juggling a work schedule with the schools. "Oh we don't do tests on those days. Oh we don't do this on that day. So on and so forth." So look forward to that.

Oh how I enjoy I'll have all this go through, at some point, again. Wub

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:22 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, book your theory now.

Then consider booking module 1 A1 ("light bike") yourself and doing it on your own 125. It's the cheapest practice you'll get (£15.50), and if you can do it on a 125, you can do it on a 600.

You will have to do it again on an 'A' test bike via a training school, but having done it yourself you should be able to work through any test nerves and discover that there's nothing particularly complicated about it.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:37 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need Theory/Hazard, + Mod 1 + Mod 2 for any licence.

Actual 'tests' are all the same, regardless of what licence entitlement you are booking for; just Mod 1 & mod 2 have to be done on bigger cc bikes for higher licences.

You may as well go get the Theory/Hazard nailed before you start, many schools, wont let yo start training without is, as they cant put you in for 'block-booked' tests (through the school) without.

With that in your pocket; as you have a 125, you may as well milk it for all it's worth and go self book and take the Mod 1, at the very least on it; as Rog suggests, it's cheaper than a DAS lesson to learn the ropes of the cone course, even though you cant use an A! Mod 1 towards and A2 or RWYL A licence.....

On which basis I would suggest, you take it all the way A1, and finish the job, taking A1 Mod2, for the A1-125'only' licence..... Benefits, are small, but they are there; if first full licence starts the clock on the NDA probation, you can use motorways, carry pillions, ride abroad and ditch the wretched L-Plates, and NEVER have to repeat a CBT to continue tiddling.....

And it's a useful stepping stone to higher licences; first up you turn up for a DAS course with a full bike licence in your pocket, you aren't an absolute beginner, thy need waste too much expensive training time teaching you to suck eggs over, or worrying about test-nerves; you been there, done that and know the ropes; all you should have to do, is spend a bit of time getting comfy ad familiar with bigger heavier bike, and go re-do what you did on the light-weight. As such should seriously improve your chances of getting the higher-licence for a shorter course, and able to milk that more scant training for more useful 'learning' rather than just 'practice' and test-tips.

Biggest bonus, though, should be psychological; it's not a huge leap into the unknown, you have bee there, done that, just on a littler bike, it IS known. Meanwhile, you have a full-licence in your pocket; you don't 'have' to pass to keep riding; and you haven't got any other pressure that your CBT may lapse and need repeating, or that your theory will drop out of date, etc.

Failing DAS can get very expensive, very quckly; using schools to provide the bike to do tests on at £250 a day or so, and depending on school courses/price schemes, where not being 'put forward' for tests if the instructor doesn't think you have made muster in the 3-says or whatever, or they dont offer 1/2 day 'test' sessions, just full day or even 3-day courses, demanding you book a whole new course, if you dont make thier mark to be put forward or dont pass if you were; costs can get pretty big, pretty quick, A-N-D, any certs you are relying on on the mean-time, lapsing away in the back-ground btween times, and quickly if you have to wait a month or so to save up for 'further training' or 'repeat' tests.

On that basis, finishing the job, and gatting your A1 on your own bike, for repeat CBT money and probably half repeat CBT time! You are quids in and well ahead of the game on the cost/risk/benefits ratio... For the sake of taking that 'small' effort to get the A1, self booked, on your own bike, before 'doing DAS'.

Best laid plans of mice and all that; 'life' has a habit of chucking googlies at us; and there are plenty of potential trip-ups along the way to a full licence, which can screw the plan; Most likely are finding the time to be able to take 3-days or a full week 'out' to go do a course, as well as finding the relatively big-cash upfront to pay for it. If all goes to, then great, but, one small stall tends to lead to another, and another and small set-back can quickly become a major impediment.

If you have got the bike; and have got the inclination; doing A1, self booked, relatively for pennies, and not a lot of time, certainly more easily 'found' time; a couple of hours that can be begged off the boss, r massaged in and around other stuff, rather than half or a full week of 'holiday time', makes it easy and do-able; to nail down that 'once and forever' CBT and give yourself a clear, and better hot at a higher licence, and without the pressure so much is riding on it, has got to be worth more than passing thought.

Theory/Hazard, is probably the more major concern here and now; not just because you need it regardless, but it is rather random; they have bunged so much non road crud like how many chest compression you should give a heart attack victim! Or PC Indoctrination, with things like 'why' a tram is better for the environment than a rhinoceros; there's a shed load ore in t now you ether 'know' or you don't, that you cant 'blag' on common cocum, whilst the 'Haz-Pep' is a computer-game, that bears about as much comparison to reality as Grand-Theft-Auto, ad you ca 'win' or yo cat, depending o how much practice yo have had on the play-station!

Mod 1? It's a CBT cone exercise 'under pressure'! Listen to the examiner, follow his instructions, and don't stress it; it's not moto-gym-khana! And you are most likely to muff it from over thinking it! IF you can walk ad chew gum at the same time without bumpng into lap-posts, shouldn't bee too big a deal!

Mod 2? Its what you probably do every day! If you're not in traction or dead, and after half a year's road riding, your bike's still rideable; shouldn't be a big deal! ALL they want to see s you ride from one side of town't'other, without, a) falling off b) killing any-one c) Breaking too many road laws, (like speed limits!) d) causing hazard to other navigation. Ie: its pretty much what you likely do every day! And you are more likely to fail the ruddy thing trying to do 'something' different on test to please the man with a clip-board, than for not being a good enough rider!

To my mind, the Mod 2 is the 'easiest' of the three parts to the test; so if you follow advice you have to get the Theory/Haz before you start, that an A1 Mod1 is useful pre-traning for the few quid t costs, you MAY as well fiish the ob, for the hour it takes and the £80 it costs, and get the licence nailed down and changed colour, for it all; and give yourself that spring-board before 'Doing DAS'.

Meanwhile, you have at least two visits to the local DSA motorcycle test center.... get there early... there will likely be two or three instructors hanging around outside having a fag, (getting paid!) to wait around whilst their candidate sits in the waiting room and wobbles round the block with clip-board whallah!

Go talk to some of them.... ask them for a leaflet! They likely have a few in their pocket or on the bike! And good chance, that stood around, they'll be far ore amenable to 'chat' than if you caught them on the 'phone or in the office to ask prices, and bookings, and be far more likely to give you useful intel, hints and tips, and the 'sense' whether they would be the better to go with, than talking to some-one on the phone!

Crikey!! You don't EVEN have to have a test booked to turn up and find where they are hanging around and have a chat! Tripple whammy! a) you get to know where the test center is and how to get there b) you get to do your bike school research 'face to face' c) you can watch some other newbies wobbling around the cones, through the chain link, AND likely listen to the commentary on t from the instructors watching their candidate!

Waiting room will probably be full of leaflets if you stick your head round the door, too, and you MIGHT even catch an examiner on his break having a fag with the instructors to get his 4-penneth on the topic...Its a old fashioned notion, getting out nto the real world, to do 'research', but it often adds a dimension you'll never get from a flat panel display!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh jesus christ.

<faints>

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes do your theory, Camrider are highly recommended. I was going to go with them but a pal (who I was doing the course with) didn't like the 'session' format. Getting it done in 3 days (at a different school) was good but I was shattered by the end of it, I doubt I would have been able to handle a 4-5 day course.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:34 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, really appreciate all of your responses. I might do as a couple of you suggested and get the theory and Mod 1 on my 125cc done since it's only £15 odd.

Teflon-Mike wrote:
On which basis I would suggest, you take it all the way A1, and finish the job, taking A1 Mod2

I get what you're saying for test nerves and all that and finally have the license in my pocket but if I'm looking to do a full DAS, my worry is that the training school will still make me go through all the hoops as if I didn't do the test, and for £80 is it worth it for the practice? Just questions I'm asking myself since, as you know, the cost of DAS isn't cheap anyway

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:36 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Camrider are highly recommended

Thanks, I have a friend that recently did his CBT with them, no complaints. Will check em out

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Stop Instruction and SN Motorcycle Training are in the area you mentioned and I can personally vouch for both. Good prices and great instructors at both places.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:41 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
my worry is that the training school will still make me go through all the hoops as if I didn't do the test, and for £80 is it worth it for the practice?

Your instructor will teach you the way they feel 'best'.... the 'fret' that they will try teaching you to suck eggs, is not unreasonable, BUT... see Snowie's post on her way to a full licence... I 2-upped her over to her CBT, and hung around to take some snaps of it all; I used to teach bludy CBT ffs, YET, listening to a different instructor with different ideas, and different ways, going over basic checks and routine maintenance, even I still learned something 'new'.... not matter of life and death stuff, but still, moral is you NEVER know everything, and even if an instructor, starts from scratch, assuming you know nothing, it's not necessarily a 'bad' thing; it's a chance to cover any gaps you haven't learned along the way, and to pick up other ideas and ways about things you might not have encountered; and if you have done A1 'going it alone', there's probably quite a few, and you could still 'benefit' from that 'learning', and THAT is what training aught to be for, the LEARNING, not just getting licences....

And big chunk of DAS and DAS cost IS merely in paying some-one to watch you wobble, whilst you practice on a big-bike.... pissing Rog off, by saying it, 'cos by his googlefu I should never have done it... but, when I was instructing, THAT was actually what irked me most about DAS as an instructor, (apart from pandering to the impatient, giving them crash courses to go crash quick!!!) for large chunks of the time I was doing bog all 'teaching'... just sitting there, watching a student 'practice'.. (and placating the Jockish Hobbit), as an IUT, not even fulfilling the legal requirement of providing supervision whilst they did it!!! Damnably 'boring' for the most-part! I enjoyed doing CBT's far far more! Much more engaging, and actually felt like I was achieving something!

If you have done your A1, self booked as a precursor; yeah, very easy to see that £80 as a 'waste of time and money'... especially if you go on and get a higher licence shortly after via training. It ISN'T, though.

First 'point' is finishing the job, and nailing down that 'Once and forever CBT', least cost, least hassle. Once it's in your pocket, its there, its there until you are 70!! If you go on and get A2 or RWYL'A', relatively shortly after, yup, does make it rather 'redundant'. B-U-T.... in that time, still has a lot of value.

In year's past, wherever I pulled up on the bike, there always seemed to be one 'old duffer' who would wander over and peer at the bike, and recount about their own 'glory days', on a fanny-B or a Kawasaki Samuri, or whatever.... BIT bizarre, actually, that these days, I am the old duffer!!! And these days, more often than not it's youngsters coming over, asking me how big my bike is, and telling me about how they used to have a CG or a Lexmoto or something.... probably more recently than I last checked my tyre pressures!!!! "Really miss that bike" is common quip, from either camp, BUT, the remarkeable thing about so many of the youngsters is how they never took thier tests, even though many of them, like No4-Son, could have probably got them in ahead of the 3DL rules, and got an auto upgrading 33-restrict, for effort of testing on a tiddler, BUT apathy reigns, and the so many never saw the point; and ALL of them, are pedestrians, because they didn't see the point; they reckoned or were advised to 'wait' until they could get the 'big boy licence' via DAS, and they never capitolised on their time on a tiddler, life got in the way of thier plan to save up for a course, and when thier CBT cert expired, they slid down the snake to the bottom of the ladder, and would have to start all over, from scratch, nothing in the bag to help them back up, let alone having done anything to stop the slide in the first place.....

And No4-son, is a frustrating case example! He actually had 9-months he could have got an auto-upgrading 33-restrict licence, for testing on a tiddler, before 3DL rules came in, after his 17th birthday... and I offered to pay for his CBT, 125 training and tests, and lend him a bike to do it on, for his birthday present.... which he spurned, "Cant you just give me the bike, and I'll pay for my own CBT, Dad?"... Because, eagerness to get on the road was all he was bothered about at the time; so, the ex, loaned him the money, and his big bother helped him find a CG, which he pissed about on on L's for about 6-months, not doing bog all more with it, until it got nicked, leaving him paying off the bike, and the insurance!! And when he moaned he couldn't get to work when they put him on shifts.... his CBT cert had expired and he'd have to 'start over'... and moaned about the new 3DL rules and how, at 19 yrs old, a time he could have had a 33bhp restrict in his pocket, the restriction about to lapse and gone looking for any bike he damn well liked to get to work... he was struggling to find the cash to get another bike, AND get another CBT to ride, it and STILL had to find DAS course money over and above to get anything bigger, and that would 'only' be an A2 bike!!!!

On that score, an A1 might not be all the licence you might hope for, but it IS a licence... and it lasts until you are 70, a once and forever CBT, and 125's, whilst frustratingly 'slow' when you are an eager learner... are still very useful little bikes... main use is they can be cheap and easy.... There's plenty about, and sure, they can command a bit of a 'premium' on the buy price, and they certainly do on the insurance, tax is cheap, and the fuel economy pretty good, whilst the maintenance is fairly easy on the wallet. those qualities don't go away, and when a 125 can break all UK speed limits, and go as fast and far as any other bike legally can, you DO have to look again at what a bigger bike is really offering you..... I ran a 125 through Uni, because it was affordable, even after I got my licence on it, and I cranked up a lot of miles and not just to and from lectures! Loaded that poor little thing to the ginwals every term to move into 'digs' and come the summer break with camping gear touring up and down the country.

And even these days; while back I 2upped to a show with Snowie, and had to come back solo, to grab car to sort a domestic crisis! Route back was conveniently along the lanes of my old daily commute, that used to get my blood pumping in the morning, or vent my frustrations of an evening, so I knew well, and was following a chap on an FZ600 back from the show, and staying on his tail the whole way, wondering why he kept 'braking' seemingly randomly! answer was all the 'new' speed limits along what had used to be pretty much all UCR 60, with the 30's through the villages stretched into the fields, and with 40 'calming' zones tagged on the end of them, and most of the bits in the middle re-classed 50's and littered with yellow scamera boxes... point to point, I was as quick on a tiddler as lad on the 600... what 'really' did I need a biggger bike for? Especially now favorite play-grounds, like that one, are a mine-feild of licence loosers!!! Err.... well, 2-up run to the show with Snowie on the back, did sort of suggest how a bigger saddle could be an advantage...... especially if I wanted to carry any luggage too... b-u-t... practically, it DID make me question the merits of my bigger bike... and the conclusion was, that for the limited miles I do a year, and the reletive pennies either costs 'all in' there wasn't much in it... might as well have the bigger saddle, and risk them scamera boxes, from time to time!

For No4 son, beggared by jobs that so often demand shift work, and the hurdle of starting from scratch, with bog all money; doesn't matter whether he's old enough to 'do-DAS' or not.... an A1 is a once and forever CBT, that's £130 he doesn't have to find before he can get going... there's actually as many or more road legal A1/Learner-Legal bikes on our roads as there are big bikes; most of them are twist and go scooters, for sure, but, for cheap get-to-work wheels, there are a lot to choose from, they are easy to come by, and prices are not that rediculouse.... OK you may have to buy chinese... but what the heck... for cheap wheels, they are easy to come by, and reasonably cheap to put to work.... If you put the 'transport' value ahead of the 'toy' value.... that licence, is worth £130 or more, in your pocket, you don't have to find to keep re-doing CBT's, and is the first step, loweing the hurdle of getting a bike and getting on the road, when you dont have to find that money or take the time out to go get a CBT before you even go pick the bike up, and can ride the thing home, soon as you hand over the asking price.....

It is a useful 'tool' in the tool box, in it's own right, even if you don't use it to spring-board to higher licences. its there; its 'done'. You have got all you can for the effort and money, going-it-alone, on a 125; capitolised on that, and banged a crampon into the rock wall, so even if you want to carry on up, at least you aren't going to slip back down that snake all the way to the bottom to have to start all over.

Yeah, £80.... when looking at £500 DAS courses, that is a fair chunk to think could be going towards higher licence.....

BUT.... it's £80, half the cost of a repeat CBT, to finish the job. That 'little' bit of diligence and discipline displayed to dot the i's and cross the t's, that stands you in good stead, and nails down your once and forever CBT, and helps insure against sliding all the way down the hill, and gives some boost to getting the rest of the way up....

On training.... yup.... there is a chance, that your instructor wont rate display of diligence and discipline, quite as highly as you'd hope, and not teach you to suck eggs.... but unlikely they'll ignore it completely....

As said, lessons is for life not just licences.... and instructors will likely go over a lot of old ground in the 'teaching'.. which is big chunk of the 'value' you can get from training... MILK IT... let the chap teach you to suck eggs! there's probably a couple of new ways he can teach you about, maybe a couple of missing techniques you would never other wise of learned, its all 'useful' grist to the mill.....

Not 'finishing' A1, you wont save any of that!!!! You'll STILL be paying the fella for the time to go over a lot of old ground, and more! and that is where the hidden value of training is really to be found.... NOT in letting you wally about on a big-bike you don't have a licence for; mostly just paying the chap to watch you 'practice'.

That £100 for Mod 1 and Mod 2, wont teach you all you could learn on a course... examiner picking up on any faults and offering tips, IF you listen and don't get uppity if he doesn't give you the pass cert, straight off the stops, is 'some' learning you wont get on lesson; as is the 'real deal' of doing tests, which, on lessons, will mean that the test-prep, may be somewhat abbreviated, and you wont need so many 'test tips' from the instructor... so you can LET him teach you to suck eggs, and teach you more, other 'useful' stuff with it... remember, lessons is for learning, not just licences! It's all 'good stuff' and where most of the value in what you are paying for is to be found, NOT in paying the chap to sit on his arse, or stand on the street corner having a fag, just watching you wobble... fulfilling a pretty arbitary legal requirement!

It's not 'obviouse' value... but it IS there... and the attitude and perception to get impatience in check, and demonstrate that diligence and discipline, alone, is where it starts... it shouldn't be utterly ignored either by your instructor, nor by your examiner... and it will carry weight, even if you don't immediately see it....

Just as an example; as an instructor/examiner, trailing a student/candidate about, you still have to ride your own bike; that means you still need to make all your own observations, (and a few more besides!) same as your student/candidate.... you cant be doing you own AND watching your student do theirs... and giving both the attention they need..... so, there is always some room for doubt... was that a popper rear obs? was that a sloppy life-saver, or a mirror glance? Examiner's question is "Is this a safe competent rider? Is he doing the right things at the right time? does he deserve a licence?"... if the candidate is a fresh-faced DAS wannabee, presenting a provisional at the docs check at the beginning.... they are another candidate, and the examiner has to fathom it out as best they can in the 30-40minutes of riding they can watch.... often only partially, whilst riding thier own bike.... you present a full A1 licence at that preliminary.... Examiner, from the start, KNOWS you deserve(d) a full bike licence... you already have one! A-N-D have probably had to do more to get it than he did way back when they did tests... A-N-D more still... having showed that diligence and discipline to make the most of L-Plating on a 125... you have dotted the i's and crossed the t's to nail it down, so many DON'T see the point in... you are probably a more diligent and conscientious person, and hence rider from the start, and more... doing that to take away some of the pressure and remove some of the risks of going for a higher-licence in one leap, you are probably not a typical nutter in a rush, who'se done a crash course to get a licence to go crash in a hurry... you have put in the time, to learn the ropes, and shown you are that bit more contientiouse about the business..... so, "Does this chap deserve a licence?".... yup.. he already got one... so, does he deserve a licence for a bigger bike.... hmmmm... well! Not long ago, what he's already done, would have won him one! so was that a sloppy life-saver or propper obs? Should benefit of the doubt be given? Yes... it should... or at least more benefit than a candidate turning up with a provisional, who is a completely unknown quantity and NOT displayed the diligence and discipline to pay attension to the details, or value anything more than higher licence for bigger faster bikes....

£80, and an hour of your time, to finish the job... hapeth's of tar, mate!

You get that once and forever CBT cert for it! You get all the risk reduction of nailing that crampon in the rock-face so you cant fall back to the beginning. So come what may, you neverr slide back down the ladder and have to throw a six to start over; you can always grab a tiddler and pick up where you left off... you have instant access to cheap and easy and very useful wheels, whenever needed.

THEN you have the spring-board to the higher licences; without the risks of certs expiring on you; without that slide back to the throw six to start over, hassle being added to failure. Fail? You are no worse off!

But, with the displayed diligence and discipline, your chances of passing are that much higher, and not just because of the practice, and knowing the ropes. But the reduction is risks and pressure, and the possibly apparently small bonus in how you 'present' you for training and tested, but they will still be there.

AND... finally, rather than first.... £80.... in a plan that is likely to cost 10x that... it's peanuts! Peanuts that OK, may make bog all odds in the final cash tally to how much it costs to get an A2 in your pocket.... but, it's £80 that is likely to save itself in the overall; and even if it doesn't' likely gives you far more than an extra £80's worth of learning along the way. So, even if on DAS, the instructor DOES take you back to basics and cover a lot of seemingly 'old ground'... it's half a days worth of 'teaching' you'll likely get, instead of £80's worth of added practice playing with a big bike (you can play with till the cows come home, once you have a licence!), whilst chap who could be teaching you stuff, does little more than watches you wobble, or offer test tips.... and there will almost certainly be something of value in there for it.

The value IS there, on so many, MANY counts.... if you cant see where it is, then yup... probably utterly wasted on you... but IF you can look past the surface to what you are getting for the sake of just finishing the job you start, rather than 'rushing' to do another one... that value is there, in spades.

And a heck of a lot of it 'just' in changing that approach and attitude, that diligence and discipline, to SEE the point, rather than not; to put in that bit 'extra' to dot the I's and cross the t's, rather than rush in, trying to get as much as you can, as quickly and cheaply as possible, and not actually taking the time to appreciate what you are actually getting along the way......

That small shift in perception, putting in that little effort to 'look beyond', THAT, is here, right now, offered for free... and it's that switch that will do more to help you have a long and enjoyable biking career, than any course or licence, or crash hat or coat....

£80 and an hour of your time.... how many days would that 'set back' booking a DAS course?

Compare to how many days 'ahead' that will stand you if things dont go to plan, and sabing for the DAs takes longer than anticipated, and you have to repeat CBT along the way, or 'something', or you cant get time off work to do a course? Or DAS money gets wiped out, cos MOT man moans about tyres, or something, or G/F says she's going to Malorca with or without you, or, or or, or.....

Then think, about what you really get for that £80, and how it may not 'save' itself on DAS prices... certainly ups your odds of getting an A2 for less DAS money, but even if it doesn't; shift in focus of what you can get out of that DAS training, gives it value...

It's a tiny tiny fraction of the all up costs in the bigger scheme; its a tiny fraction of the time, its a very small amount of hastle and effort to FINISH THE JOB.... and on the pro's and con's offers SO much in the grater scheme, for so little.... would NOT doing it, really save you anything if much at all, in comparison to what benefits, over-all it can offer?

Remember No4 son, mourning that he didn't get a 33bhp restrict when he had the chance, and all them lads that come over to gawk at my shit-heap old 750, ruing that they never did anything when they had the chance when they had a Lexmoto or whatever.. or the old charlies, who got their kicks in the 250 L-Plate era, who never got the 650 they really wanted, and cant ride anything now....

It;s all up to you how you go about it, BUT riding a bike is a risky business, and secret to success is in assessing and managing those risks.... THIS is little different to taking the time, to do your obs and not open the taps and tear into trouble when you're in the saddle... and it's THAT little extra thought and time to take note of whats what, that stand to a) make you a better ride b) get you a licence c) live to enjoy it! You dont have to do A1-Mod2... but the diligence and discipline to assess WHY it's worth finishing the job, at the very least IS... and if you do, answer like as not will be "Why not!" not "What's the point".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:21 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
my worry is that the training school will still make me go through all the hoops as if I didn't do the test, and for £80 is it worth it for the practice?

It's a judgement call. Module 1 is essentially a no-brainer. Module 2, maybe. You'll want to talk to your potential training school, and ideally the individual instructors(s) that would be riding with you.

It's a negotiation, money for services. If you don't like the deal on offer, bear in mind that you can always buy your own 600cc+ 40kW+ bike, insure it on your provisionaL entitlement through BikeSure or ride your luck and find some way to get it to the test centre legally or ride your luck and DIY the whole lot.

Then drop by the training school afterwards and Pretty Woman them. Wink

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Christ Tef, that's put me off Motorbicycling.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A double teffing Shocked

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: DAS the right choice Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
Since I'm here, maybe a silly question, but do you recommend I just book my theory now while I'm doing research on DAS providers, since it lasts for 2 years?

Yes. I got the theory out the way before I'd even done my CBT, let alone any other training. I had a vague idea which school I was going to use but nothing more. Theory is an obstacle you can get out of the way at any time. If you're serious about DAS, get the theory done. You'll have your full licence in weeks, not years.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: DAS the right choice Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
onlyJaz wrote:

Yes. I got the theory out the way before I'd even done my CBT, let alone any other training. I had a vague idea which school I was going to use but nothing more. Theory is an obstacle you can get out of the way at any time. If you're serious about DAS, get the theory done. You'll have your full licence in weeks, not years.

It's not as crucial as when learning to drive, where if you haven't done your theory/can't book your test you'll really delay yourself, as schools block book slots so you'll only need it done before starting your training.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: DAS the right choice Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It's not as crucial as when learning to drive, where if you haven't done your theory/can't book your test you'll really delay yourself, as schools block book slots so you'll only need it done before starting your training.

True, it's just nice to have it out of the way. And, as long as you know how to play the hazard-awareness game, it's straightforward enough.

No such thing as a theory test when I learned to drive Neutral

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: DAS the right choice Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
And, as long as you know how to play the hazard-awareness game, it's straightforward enough.

I scraped through by a mark the first time (car theory), then thinking I had it sussed nearly failed for the bike as well Embarassed

Cronik
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:40 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sturdy teffing indeed.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:51 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT in Feb last year, thought I'd see how I went before going all full test.

I'm thinking I might do the full test this summer (if we get one) so did my theory a few weeks back, got a few things on the go so once the dust has settled I'll be looking at a camrider 4 session deal thing I think.

Bikesortrikes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:12 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike dropping some serious knowledge. Take that to heart because thats years of experience right there. Good stuff

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikesortrikes wrote:
Teflon-Mike dropping some serious knowledge. Take that to heart because that's years of experience right there. Good stuff.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:35 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikesortrikes wrote:
Teflon-Mike dropping some serious knowledge. Take that to heart because thats years of experience right there. Good stuff

You must be new he-

Actually, I suspect you're not.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:23 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Bikesortrikes wrote:

You must be new he-

Actually, I suspect you're not.

Sock? Or mesmerised by the wall o'text that he just HAD to sign up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 357 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2