Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noddy guide to body armour?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Noddy guide to body armour? Reply with quote

Could someone point me in the direction of one? Got various questions about it, eg:

Is it generally interchangeable between different garments?

When sitting on the bike, the knee armour tends to ride up a bit compared with the position on a straight leg. Where is it normally recommended to locate it - so it's optimised for a bent knee or straight leg?

I get that it makes sense to choose CE-approved armour, and the stuff that came with my IXS textile suit is. Apart from that what are the other differentiators for 'better' armour?

(And yes, I know "don't fall off in the first place" is the optimum way forward...)

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of a catch all guide, I did google for a Ride magazine group review, but didn't find anything (I'm sure I've seen one).

Interchangeable - generally yes although some clothing will have awkward sized pockets for their own armour. Can be altered with Velcro / needle and thread easily enough.

Better armour. Hmm, thicker may be better in terms of absolute impact, but I favour a bit of flexibility in my armour - D30 may be good in that respect. My current preference is Hein Gerrickes hiprotec "rubber bobble" stuff, but I think it's now discontinued.

Knee armour - should be in position when the leg is bent.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

D30 is very temperature sensitive, I have a back protector that I used to roll up and leave in my luggage. One day it snowed unexpectedly and I couldn't unroll it until I took it inside for half an hour. In sensible temperatures it is the comfiest though.

Forcefield net armour fits most of my RST/IXS/HG kit and likely aldi/crane kit too. It's very slim but level 2. It can be cut to size as well. Expensive. Net design has good airflow so it's quite comfortable in the summer.

Forcefield do a huge range of honeycomb foam back armour in varying sizes and thicknesses to fit most jackets with a pocket for such. Hip armour is similarly honeycomb foam and is cut-to-size.

Beyond that measure what you have and compare it to size charts from the main manufacturers. Knox make many different sizes but all their stuff is level one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1