Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Security suggestions while touring (chains etc)?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:56 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lugging a monstrous Oxford wire device to Europe for the last 5 years. I do make every effort to source hotels with secure parking but like to have some backup. Thought I'd try an alarmed disc lock this year but forgot that I need the previously mentioned Oxford device for securing our helmets at the Motogp. Went into local Halfords and got a 15mm x 1.8m heavy duty wire lock for £20. Takes up a lot less space in the tank bag than Oxford thing.
Mawsley This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:20 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking hell, what a boring cunt ^^^

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:39 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
It doesn't really help much. I have been thinking about carrying a chain and lock, but not sure how I'd conveniently do so with the luggage set-up I'm taking: Kriega US30, with a US20 mounted on top. I don't want to put a dirty, heavy chain in with my other stuff, and can see no way of securing one safely on top. I don't want to use my tank bag, as it then becomes too much to cart in and out of hotels, with all the faff of loading it all on the bike again at each move. With the Kriega stuff as noted, I can carry it all about in one lump on a shoulder strap. Still inclined to trust to hotel parking and a disc lock.

my chain and lock curls up nicely in the perforated bottom part of the us30, its a 1.5m 12mm chain so not ott like a home set up, it then gets mounted on the rear seat as normal. it gets put on whenever we do an overnight stop so no problem with having to lug it around either

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:43 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
I've been lugging a monstrous Oxford wire device to Europe for the last 5 years. I do make every effort to source hotels with secure parking but like to have some backup. Thought I'd try an alarmed disc lock this year but forgot that I need the previously mentioned Oxford device for securing our helmets at the Motogp. Went into local Halfords and got a 15mm x 1.8m heavy duty wire lock for £20. Takes up a lot less space in the tank bag than Oxford thing.

Xena do a nice kit that comes with an attachment and wire chain that fits into the disklock, perfect for helmets etc and also a pretty good deterrent for overnight lock ups. wouldn't stand up to a grinder attack but how many locks and chains would Mad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave V4 wrote:

my chain and lock curls up nicely in the perforated bottom part of the us30, its a 1.5m 12mm chain so not ott like a home set up, it then gets mounted on the rear seat as normal. it gets put on whenever we do an overnight stop so no problem with having to lug it around either

Idea Hadn't thought of that! I'll give it a try. Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:39 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to just take a disc lock but to be honest i'll check hotels before booking and make sure they have secure parking (in my experience every hotel makes an effort).

Parking at bars and restaurants, make sure you park so can see the bike

If i ever do have to leave her unattended i'll park in a really visible place and pop the lock on, i've never really worried at all though

i guess it depends where you are travelling

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:18 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of sight...out of mind.
I have travelled a bit and would recommend if camping(wild/stealth)
1.dont park the bike where it will be seen easily.
2.put a cover on it-they are easy to carry & double up as a "tent" extra
3.carry a steel/plastic coated cable lock- they are light- you can "thread" your helmet & clothes through them & then through the bike before attaching to an immovable object when wandering around cities etc. This also increases the chances of not being spotted as a biker- so any potential thief will have to be extra vigilant for people returning.
4.Speak to the locals- ask their advice..make friends with an open air shop keeper; buy some drinks from them/get some food & give them time to remember you. Be pleasant ..people remember & help pleasant people.

I have limited knowledge of hotels in Europe- but when I stay in them, I find secure parking.

I have camped wild throughout
1.Europe>Turkey ..see Shaw2Shore.co.uk
2.Spain/Morocco/Western Sahara> also a film on the site, which gives places I have stayed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2