Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

kawasaki gt 550 No compression ????

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:13 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: kawasaki gt 550 No compression ???? Reply with quote

Hey guys
I've been working on this 550 a little while. I've replaced a piston ring and put it back together but there's no compression all round now. I think its the timing.

1)I've aligned the t mark then the marks on the cam sprockets then counted 44 teeth. = no compression

2)then rotated the crankshaft done the above again
= no compression.

Then i thought i may have got the exhaust and inlet shafts the wrong way around. I done 1) again but something was jamming then i done 2 again and still jamming.

Any ideas ?

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:22 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone ?

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:40 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got something wrong,
Go back to the start, set the crank up to T on the correct cyl and re time.
Do not rotate the engine if it will not go, if you have forced it ,or used the starter you have probably bent a few valves.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: kawasaki gt 550 No compression ???? Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
Hey guys
I've been working on this 550 a little while. I've replaced a piston ring and put it back together but there's no compression all round now. I think its the timing.

1)I've aligned the t mark then the marks on the cam sprockets then counted 44 teeth. = no compression

2)then rotated the crankshaft done the above again
= no compression.

Then i thought i may have got the exhaust and inlet shafts the wrong way around. I done 1) again but something was jamming then i done 2 again and still jamming.

Any ideas ?

As a very basic visual check, with the engine on TDC your cams should be pointing at about 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock on cylinder 1 or 4.

Your 'jamming' is interference between the valves and pistons - don't try to turn the engine over (you should always do 2 full rotations gently by hand first anyway). Get the cams out, check the tops of the valves are all the same heigh i.e. none are bent and sticking in the guide then start again.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:44 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
You have got something wrong,
Go back to the start, set the crank up to T on the correct cyl and re time.
Do not rotate the engine if it will not go, if you have forced it ,or used the starter you have probably bent a few valves.

Yea I done it by hand and stopped when i felt resistance. I don't think i damaged anything

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:57 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, well done,
make sure your using the correct cam shaft i.e .ex to the front and inlet to the rear

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the GT750 which I rebuilt somewhere back near the time Moses was driving a chariot.

I seem to remember that there were timing marks for the crank and both cams and you had to have the CCT in and set up. I can't remember it being a problem, sorry.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, first hit I got was this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBP_BEzospE

Not you is it? Laughing

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:05 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s61.photobucket.com/user/Jay29031/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0B9EF3A7-6652-4322-9169-1D06E5EC066C_zpsorxqviwl.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Is that the right t mark that im lining up ? the manual is a bit vague
(i know it's not lined up in that pic)

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:08 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Ha, first hit I got was this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBP_BEzospE

Not you is it? Laughing

nope its not. That video is from 2012, I haven't had this problem for 5 years Very Happy

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:11 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way you can tell the cams apart ? I think i had the correct first but i had no compression so i tried them the other way around which is when they were jamming

(I managed to get the timing ok on another bike with a dohc so i think i'm doing the obvious bits correctly)

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:59 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the T line is alined -
https://s61.photobucket.com/user/Jay29031/media/Mobile%20Uploads/ED11A40F-21CF-4C35-BED4-75A030BAF7AC_zps5kwuyu7y.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

The marks on the sprockets are alined with the head and theres 44 links between the marks on the sprockets -
https://s61.photobucket.com/user/Jay29031/media/Mobile%20Uploads/49BD014A-2AA5-4C0C-A776-9C148CF96F0D_zpsn5shqj9n.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

no compression

image of the cams
https://s61.photobucket.com/user/Jay29031/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A6883135-5D07-4F96-A845-161A81403AA7_zps1ckdfnh3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that last photo is of the cams with the TDC mark lined up then the cams are in wrong.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:53 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
If that last photo is of the cams with the TDC mark lined up then the cams are in wrong.

How so ?

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:09 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s61.photobucket.com/user/Jay29031/media/Mobile%20Uploads/5D5A69FC-BF8F-41FE-8ECC-7024B406DDAC_zps9porbbge.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Is that right ?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
https://s61.photobucket.com/user/Jay29031/media/Mobile%20Uploads/5D5A69FC-BF8F-41FE-8ECC-7024B406DDAC_zps9porbbge.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Is that right ?

Nope. The cam lobes on 1 or 4 should be at approximately ten o'clock and 2 o'clock when the engine is at TDC, possibly a little wider depending on what type of engine it is. Those two cam lobes would never achieve that.

Are you sure you don't have the cams reversed?

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:40 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s61.photobucket.com/user/Jay29031/media/Mobile%20Uploads/E5E7B4D3-2499-4349-9E84-C27036D76EF7_zps8q2myqum.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I think i've got it.

i took a shot a doing checking the clearances and came up with -

Inlet
1 - 0.15
2- <0.05
3- 0.15
4- 1.7

exhaust
1- 0.25
2- 0.15
3- 0.05
4- <0.05

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inlet cam looks retarded a tooth or two but that might be due to wide lobe centre angles. Have you double-checked the pin count? No matter what turn the engine over at least two full turns by hand before you attempt to spin it on the starter.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:31 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Inlet cam looks retarded a tooth or two but that might be due to wide lobe centre angles. Have you double-checked the pin count? No matter what turn the engine over at least two full turns by hand before you attempt to spin it on the starter.

yea i counted the 44 pins. seems ok

There isn't any compression on the 4th cylinder though

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
Pete. wrote:

yea i counted the 44 pins. seems ok

There isn't any compression on the 4th cylinder though

Can't be cam timing - one out all out!

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:49 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Can't be cam timing - one out all out![/quote]

yea
On the 4th cyliner the inlet gap is really big. Does that mean there's something up with the valve ?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err - yeah. I missed that 1.7 gap. The valve is stuck open, probably bent.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:02 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

lovely

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:52 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Yea fixed that now.
has good compression.

I started it but is only ran on cylinders 1 and 4. Theres no spark going to 2 and 3. I switched around the cables that go to the ignition coils and got a spark. Guess its not the coils but not too sure what the problem is there.

other thing is the cylinders that are running. maybe its just the carbs that need adjusting but there causing the exhaust to heat up really hot really quick
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1