Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dazzling by low sun

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Dazzling by low sun Reply with quote

Had a really shitty ride home late on Sunday afternoon, heading west all the way into really bright sun; continually being dazzled to the extent that sometimes it would hit me as I went round a corner and would completely wipe out my vision. I limped home really slowly and buttock-clenchingly, using a combo of lowering my head to try to position the sun above my visor, and using my left hand as a sunshade.

Visor and specs were clean (didn't really help if I tried raising the visor). I'm sure this must be an age-eyesight-related thing, as I really don't remember it this bad when I was younger. Anyway I really need to sort it out as I'm not safe as it is.

Any tried and tested ideas? Sunglasses (or my tinted flip-down 2nd visor) don't help, they just reduce the overall light without making it easier to see past the sun. Do I need a filter lens or polarising prescription specs or something? Contact lenses? Polarised contact lenses? Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a strip of opaque tape around the top of your visor, black insulating tape or similar, maybe an inch or so wide.
I never liked the flip down sun visors built into helmets as they are never dark enough, so now I just use a full tint visor. Not perfect, but I seem to be able to manage ok.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun strip Thumbs Up

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with what Chickenstrip said, however don't make the sun strip too wide, been there done that, it's literally a pain in the neck.
I've got a really dark visor here in Cyprus, (which has a lot more sun than the UK), if the sun's in your line of sight your going to get dazzled, it doesn't matter how dark your visor is!

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunPal
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:13 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarised sunglasses are your best bet - I got a set to use in the car - total godsend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Try a strip of opaque tape around the top of your visor, black insulating tape or similar, maybe an inch or so wide.

Wondered about that; but is that much better than what I'm doing at the moment, i.e. effectively using the front area of the helmet immediately above the visor for that purpose?
Quote:
I never liked the flip down sun visors built into helmets as they are never dark enough

Hmm, that's got me thinking.... I rarely use mine either to be honest: maybe I should just cover the bottom of that in black tape and then I can lower it (slightly!) as and when needed in dazzling conditions? It's pretty stiff; I don't see it dropping down by itself to block my vision completely. Might have a play.

dodsi wrote:
Polarised sunglasses are your best bet

Thanks. So polarised ones specifically do the trick with low sun dazzling, then? Just that I'd need to get a prescription set made up, which ain't particularly cheap - will certainly do it if it's going to work, but less keen just as an experiment!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my previous efforts, I use stickers because sticky and they look a bit better than gaffer tape (although I'm sure that's debatable):

https://i75.servimg.com/u/f75/15/13/82/47/img_1212.jpg

https://i38.servimg.com/u/f38/15/13/82/47/think10.jpg

Second one's a bit too low but I CBA fixing it. I actually stopped wearing a tinted visor after applying it, less hassle than switching visors, getting caught out and having to ride with your visor up.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:34 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time of year - Spring and Autumn. I have commuted a lot on the M4 and this time of year is horrible - low sun in your eyes in both directions. Just have to plan for it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No low sun in the winter? Confused

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Only clouds and darkness.

Cold bitter darkness.

Black.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:40 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I think its more to do with the time of riding, i.e commuting time. Come winter I am to and from work in the dark Sad

I am another one for contacts and polarised sunglasses. Although one word of warning, I have found that now whenever I put on a normal set of sunglasses I just feel like they don't work right Smile

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sun is dazzling you I think you're supposed to just accelerate into the car in front.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:52 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
M.C wrote:

I think its more to do with the time of riding, i.e commuting time. Come winter I am to and from work in the dark Sad

I am another one for contacts and polarised sunglasses. Although one word of warning, I have found that now whenever I put on a normal set of sunglasses I just feel like they don't work right Smile

time of riding and because the sun rises less quickly so seems to spend a lot more time in your face

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinlock protecTINT. Been excellent.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:48 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

dodsi wrote:
Polarised sunglasses are your best bet

Thanks. So polarised ones specifically do the trick with low sun dazzling, then? Just that I'd need to get a prescription set made up, which ain't particularly cheap - will certainly do it if it's going to work, but less keen just as an experiment!

Yes it works because science.

you may have difficulty seeing LED's/LCD displays or even your phone/sat nav screen with them on.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/everyday-innovations/sunglass6.htm

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:45 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A helmet with a peak fitted would also do the job.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

Mm, I understand basically what a polarising filter does though not convinced I get why it will affect rays of light coming directly from the sun, as opposed to reflected off another surface...

Quote:
you may have difficulty seeing LED's/LCD displays or even your phone/sat nav screen with them on.

That's a good and interesting point I'd not considered! I've heard about people walking into an office wearing polarised glasses, and finding that 50% of computer monitors appeared OK and 50% were apparently blank! Since my bike has an LCD display for everything apart from the tacho, that could be a bit of an issue. Is it literally just a 50:50 chance as to whether my glasses are compatible with my instruments? And then again with my satnav? Shocked

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:
time of riding and because the sun rises less quickly so seems to spend a lot more time in your face

My shifts meant I'd have late morning winter commutes into low sun, and my favourite late afternoon with the sun blinding you in your mirrors.

This time of year only sunrise/sunset really causes issues.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 15:40 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
dodsi wrote:

Mm, I understand basically what a polarising filter does though not convinced I get why it will affect rays of light coming directly from the sun, as opposed to reflected off another surface...

Quote:

That's a good and interesting point I'd not considered! I've heard about people walking into an office wearing polarised glasses, and finding that 50% of computer monitors appeared OK and 50% were apparently blank! Since my bike has an LCD display for everything apart from the tacho, that could be a bit of an issue. Is it literally just a 50:50 chance as to whether my glasses are compatible with my instruments? And then again with my satnav? Shocked

I'm afraid that's where my knowledge on the subject is exhausted as to exactly why it works but what I do know is that my ludicrously expensive Maui Jim sunglasses I bought are frankly amazing. (Cheaper variants are available) with ray ban look for an additional 'p' next to the logo on the lens. I couldn't get some cheaper Ray Bans because I look like a sex offender when wearing aviator type sunglasses. All I really wanted was to look like Tom Cruise or Val Kilmer in the popular movie 'Top Gun'.

I also don't have problems seeing the various screens in my twatty car or my dickphone. I do get a little rainbow effect from some angles on the screens but it's all a damn site better than total glare.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:55 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

If its like the black and white LCD I have never had a problem with them and polarised lenses. However I can see my Iphone 6s but could not see my Iphone 4 so if you have a fancy colour display thingy it might be worth testing before hand with a cheapo pair. linky If you already have contacts you can try them out and if you dont like them or it does not work for you send them back.

Either that or rotate your head 90 degrees and you will be able to see it Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
I couldn't get some cheaper Ray Bans because I look like a sex offender when wearing aviator type sunglasses.

We have the same problem Laughing Also my mum used to wear them in the 90's and I don't remember her being particularly cool.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 16:45 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
dodsi wrote:
I couldn't get some cheaper Ray Bans because I look like a sex offender when wearing aviator type sunglasses.

We have the same problem Laughing Also my mum used to wear them in the 90's and I don't remember her being particularly cool.

The dream...

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2013/04/19/tom-cruise-hair/19-tom-cruise-hair-top-gun.w190.h190.2x.jpg

The reality...

https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/real-life-villains/images/1/1f/Chapman.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141116040442

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried employing a ladyboy to ride pillion?

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strip or two of black insulating tape (or whatever) along the bottom of the visor.
Adjust position of visor accordingly. Thumbs Up

Inb4
teary-eyed nambie-pambies who can't ride with their visors open.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2