Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit 650 k8 .need info please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Bandit 650 k8 .need info please Reply with quote

Hi all been a while.
Not been out on the divvy for ages but needs must and I need to get out again.so been looking at at newer steed and have found a nice clean 650 k8. But internet confuses .are they carb or fi net says carb but dash has a fi light.plus is it a decent enough bike .rides nice and a vast improvement on the old diversion .

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:32 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel injection was brought in with the K7 model in 2007. Therefore K8 is fuel injection.
Note that the K designation doesn't necessarily relate directly to the registration year.
For example my K6 is registered as '07 plate.

As to whether they are good bikes, opinions vary, but they are typically regarded as competent all rounders, if on the heavier side.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advert says it a k8 2009.so as you said will be fi.not bothered by the weight.it will be mostly be used for the commute and chucking camping kit on the back for weekends away.its up for £2700 so I think the price is ok 2 owners and fsh.with nothing major showing on the mot check .

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Bandit 650 k8 .need info please Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:
But internet confuses .are they carb or fi net says carb but dash has a fi light.plus is it a decent enough bike .rides nice and a vast improvement on the old diversion .

That's because for a about a year they made an air cooled 650 that had carbs. Basically, if it's water cooled then it's got FI.

Price is good.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:27 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles on the clock?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:48 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornets and Fazers are meant to be better in pretty much every conceivable way.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:05 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you imagine that if you post a link to the advert that someone will gazump you?

Why do people do this? If you want advice on that bike, show it to us.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Do you imagine that if you post a link to the advert that someone will gazump you?

Why do people do this? If you want advice on that bike, show it to us.

So that Roger can gazump you

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:38 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bandit killed my father, you monster.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
A Bandit killed my father, you monster.

Died of boredom after 30 minutes riding or saw one with so much anodised shite bolted on it caused his head to explode?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:25 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fell on his foot, the Fire Brigade said it was easier to take an axe to his leg than to try and lift the Bandit.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:40 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bandit is physically bigger, softer-riding and more stable than fazer/hornet. Less exciting but more commute/tour friendly. I'll probably be looking at something similar if I needed to replace my k2.

Check out SW Motech for strong luggage racks if youre carrying lots of kit.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:22 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
more stable than fazer/hornet.

Stable while doing what?

I haven't tried a Hornet (bucket list) but the FZS600 I tried didn't feel in any way twitchy or wobbly. It was instantly confidence inspiring.

In the spirit of fair play, the K8 Bandit 650 I tried (then dropped) had smooth slow speed fuelling and... uh... a linear torque delivery. And... umm... Thinking

I say all this, but I'm sure they're great bikes to live with. Both of the K8/K9 owners I work with are fine with theirs. And I ride a lardy lazy twin so am not in a position to get too snooty. Whistle

However, an 8 year old Bandit is getting towards the age where I'd start to think of it as a budget bike, and balk at blowing £2700 on it, FSH or otherwise. Is it particularly low mileage? OP will never deliver.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandits are often unfairly criticised by people who haven't actually owned or lived with them for any amount of time. In it's different guises it has to be one of the most ubiquitous bikes of all time, and that's not all down to price. They are a solid, comfortable, dependable bike with a massive following and easy parts availability. Personally, I would buy one over a Hornet or Fazer every time. The 600/650 is a tad underpowered for it's bulk but the 1200 is an absolute gem of a bike.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:18 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
However, an 8 year old Bandit is getting towards the age where I'd start to think of it as a budget bike, and balk at blowing £2700 on it, FSH or otherwise. Is it particularly low mileage? OP will never deliver.

That was my thinking. Somewhere around £2700 might be the going rate at this time of year for that bike in that condition but... If you are buying an 8 year old bandit, why not buy a 9 or 10 year old bandit for £1700 instead.

At the end of the day its OP's money, but if I had £2700 to spend I doubt I'd be looking at an 8 year old 650 Bandit.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

That was my thinking. Somewhere around £2700 might be the going rate at this time of year for that bike in that condition but... If you are buying an 8 year old bandit, why not buy a 9 or 10 year old bandit for £1700 instead.

At the end of the day its OP's money, but if I had £2700 to spend I doubt I'd be looking at an 8 year old 650 Bandit.

Because they would be the air/oil cooled not the FI watercooled?

Wifie had a 2007 version, 1st year of water cooled I think. She found it heavy, I didn't (but I did ride a busa at the time). It went OK for a 650. Finish wasn't great, paint was coming off the wheels at 3 years old. I think they were built in Spain at the time.

I had/have a 2000 Fazer 600 at the same time, I preferred the Bandit, but it was a much newer bike. Mind you, I still have the Fazer and the Bandit has long gone. Thinking

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:56 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
I would buy one over a Hornet or Fazer every time.

Why? Same question to Polarbear, what specifically about the Bandit 650 is better than an FZS600 or a Hornet 600?

I'm genuinely wondering.

Matt B wrote:
The 600/650 is a tad underpowered for it's bulk but

...is the bike that OP is considering.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:12 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden every Bandit barring the rare 250/750 and the 1200.

I put reasonable miles on a 600/650/1250 i.e. more than 1000.

They were all rubbish, the only reason to buy one is if you can't afford anything better.

They did the job but lacked any redeeming features whatsoever.

Edit:, the 400 I rode was a dog and I didn't ride far so that is possibly excluded from this.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:36 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Why? Same question to Polarbear, what specifically about the Bandit 650 is better than an FZS600 or a Hornet 600?

I can't speak for the FZS600 I've only ridden the 1000.

However I have ridden a '99 Hornet 600 and a '04 CBF600.

The Hornet feels lightweight, and very easy to ride, it is thin across the seat not in an uncomfortable way but in a way that makes it feel agile. The engine is fun smooth and rev happy.

The CBF600 is much more purposeful, the engine is restrained in comparison but it still feels like an agile package it didn't put a grin on my face like the hornet but it isn't mean too if you want a dull commuter it's ace.

They also have legendary Honda built quality as opposed to the shite build quality of Suzuki. To put it in perspective, I had a nearly new 07/08 plate I think 650 bandit as a hire bike. It had less than 2k miles on it. Paint was peeling off of the clock surround and numerous fasteners had rust on them already. Compare that to the CBF which was was 3/4 years old and had 20 something K on it (I think) it looked as tired as you'd expect for a 4 year old hire bike but there was not 1 spot of rust on it.

The bandit is dull in comparison to both, the engine is OK but didn't put a smile on my face, it feels more agricultural

It is heavy, this does go away at speed but going slow it is far harder work, my TDM feels like a 250 next to it. The suspension is crude and the brakes are mediorce, the 650 I rode had ABS an it was very clunky rather compared to the CBF despite the CBF being an older bike. The CBF had a much faster pulse to it and felt far more confidence inspiring.

I rode 3-4k on the 650 bandit then it went back and I was given the CBF600. I was so much happier with the CBF.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Matt B wrote:
I would buy one over a Hornet or Fazer every time.

I'm genuinely wondering.

Matt B wrote:
The 600/650 is a tad underpowered for it's bulk but

...is the bike that OP is considering.

I didn't say that <says he in his best politicians voice>.

I said I preferred it to the year 2000 Fazer I had/still have. You are talking a bike 7/8 years older, many more miles and less sophisticated with lights like a candle in the wind.

A comparable year Fazer may be a lot better. Also I could leave a friend with a contemporary Hornet for dead on it, but that would probably be due to my exceptional prowess as a rider, rather than the bike Wink

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Same question to Polarbear, what specifically about the Bandit 650 is better than an FZS600 or a Hornet 600?

For me, two things in my opinion - The Bandit handles better than the old FZS, they are a bit more planted probably due to their longer wheelbase, and feel less vague and floaty in corners. The Bandit is weighty, and personally I like the way a heavier bike feels. Second thing is the ergonomics, Bandits just feel more comfortable, less crouched and less forward lean. I like the old 600 Hornets, they were decent bikes but Bandit familiarity wins me over.

It's not a meaningful comparison anyway. For the price OP is considering he could have an FZ6 S2, which is a better bike than all of them. That is is you don't mind the lack of midrange and like wringing it's neck.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
How many miles on the clock?

Just under 11,000

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry not replied but been busy at work and family stuff

So I have purchased the bike picking it up tomorrow.got a good price in the end for a bike which suits my needs plus I preferred it to few others I tried.i know there are other bikes which are better but not for me.i liked the riding position the best and the engine. It's a very clean bike with fsh including recent full service new Michelin tires and recent brake refurb..I would of liked a hornet but I couldn't get a long with one and the tank range put me off a little.
I'm happy I've got a bike now which will be comfy two up for touring and ideal for my commute ..cheers for the comments though 👍

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:17 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
talkToTheHat wrote:
more stable than fazer/hornet.

Stable while doing what?

Battling traffic across keighley/bradford. I liked the FZS and the FZ6 better on more fun roads around denholme and oxenhope, FZS had the best feeling brakes, FZ6 engine was more sporty feeling, and either would be more fun as a recreational bike, but through the unsettlingly slippery and potholey innards of keighly, the bandit felt a lot more settled. The same stretch was sphincter-clenching on both GZs and the XV. This was what won me over about the bandit.

The hornet I tried elsewhere after i had owned the k2 bandit for a while and it felt lighter and tighter than the bandit, but I didn't reallyy take it anywhere slippery.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:12 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair dos.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2