Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clutch Problem ??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

skyeblueman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:32 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Clutch Problem ?? Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha XJR 1300. Used the bike couple of days ago and all was well. Started it this morning, no problem, however, when I pulled in the clutch and put it into first it shot forward a few inches and stalled. I again pulled the clutch in, put it into neutral, started it, but again, as soon as I put the bike into first gear same thing happened.It feels like the clutch is ok for selecting gears and neutral but as soon as the engine is running, the clutch doesn't hold. There is plenty of clutch fluid in the reservoir and I am able to go into neutral and up and down the gears when the bike is off. Any ideas, is a new clutch needed ?. Desperately need help as need the bike for work. Many thanks. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get the rear wheel in the air and check whether the clutch is engaging properly that way?

Hydraulic clutch - not started to leak from the slave letting in a bit of air is it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Hydraulic clutch - not started to leak from the slave letting in a bit of air is it?

Most likely this. How old is it? Could try bleeding it, or might be that it needs a slave cylinder rebuild.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was the fluid last changed? Sounds like it's a common issue on these.

skyeblueman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:40 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who replied. I did notice that the clutch fluid looked a bit "dirty" when I took the top off of the reservoir. Gonna change that first and see what happens. Had the bike about 8 months but don't know when fluid was last changed. Hopefully this will be the cheapest remedy. I will let you know the result and thanks again.

skyeblueman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:10 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Clutch Sorted !! Reply with quote

Thanks to all who helped. Changed the clutch fluid and it now engages and disengages as it should. Noticed that the rubber "thingy" (don't know the technical term !) inside the fluid reservoir on the handlebars was pinched at a couple of points between the lid and body of the reservoir. I assume that this should be air/watertight so have phoned local dealers to order a new one (may take 4 weeks to arrive !). Looks like air/damp was getting into the fluid and causing the problem. Anyway, thanks again to those who replied. Safe riding everyone . . . . . .

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work. Just keep an eye on it, in case it is seeping past the seals - doesn't need a lot of a leak to let air in and cause you a problem.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch fluid pulls moisture in from the atmosphere and contaminants from the rubber hose so it needs to be changed periodically (as do the rubber lines). Your rider handbook or maintenance manual should specify how often but certainly if it appears darker in colour then it needs changing.

A more likely cause of your trouble is the slave cylinder. It's position down near the front sprocket make it a prime candidate for collecting road dirt ad usually they are pretty badly gunged-up with old chain grease and road much over time, especially like now after a winter.

Look here for an example: https://www.bikers1.com/load4.php?id=411

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

skyeblueman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:31 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Thanks Again Reply with quote

Sure, I'll check slave cylinder (that's my weekend taken up then ?) lol. Thanks for link and advice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 363 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1