Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Painting textured trim

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ReadySalted
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:47 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Painting textured trim Reply with quote

Not strictly a question about my bike, but my van. I have a vw t5 with fading plastic bumpers (the textured kind). I want to return them to black and have used back-to-black and other products with some success. It's a ball ache doing it every so often and it only slightly improves them so I want to know if it's possible to used some bumper paint or flexible paint to make them look good again. I don't want to colour code them and I'm not interested in removing the textured pattern, just want to return them to black with a method that will last a while?

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:02 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric heatgun works well for this, (the kind you use for diy) just keep the nozzle moving because if you play it in one spot too long you'll melt the plastic. Plenty of youtube vids for this, including one from a training instructor, Russ at Roadcraft.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to black contain silicone IIRC not something you want to be applying paint over.

I watched some guy paint the scraped mirrors off my 'busa one time he sprayed them with some kind of textured spray then went over that with black. Looked like a new part in about 15 mins.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used plain old rattle can Satin black on a few of my Trannies and my LDV Convoys pale grey bumpers and it worked a treat.
I thought that back to black stuff was crap when I tried it

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I used plain old rattle can Satin black on a few of my Trannies

Ste has just exploded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:56 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoker wrote:
Electric heatgun works well for this, (the kind you use for diy) just keep the nozzle moving because if you play it in one spot too long you'll melt the plastic. Plenty of youtube vids for this, including one from a training instructor, Russ at Roadcraft.

This,

I have used it to restore a greying Givi Box. It really works! It looks like the box sweats out the colour!

Stephenniall
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a mobile car repairer, some of the products we use are:

Pro-XL Texture spray (Comes in different colours) this personally is my favourite.

Ce-Chem Texture Spray
Impa Texture Spray
U-Pol Plastic Texture spray

You should be able to get the Pro-XL stuff from an autofactors/paint store for about a tenner a tin.

Scuff the bumper with red scotch Brite, give it a real good clean, mask the surrounding area and spray in light coats till covered.

Test on a scrap panel or an old box or something as you can alter the thickness of the texture with different spraying techniques.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1