Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Wonderful WK 125 RR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Derrick The Diva
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:31 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: The Wonderful WK 125 RR Reply with quote

Hello everyone! So I'd like to layout what I've been through in the last year...

Last year it was the last day of our local 'bike night' and unfortunately for me, there was a guy going around laying down oil slicks for people to fall off and crash.

It was a wet evening and bike night just finished, I went down to our seafront to do a final ride to go home when there was a guy at the zebra crossing, walking up to it and walking away from it. My back brake felt odd so I had to use my front, with are dual calipered and can stop my bike seriously in a few seconds to no prevail the entire bike catapulted itself into an endo, launching my off to dislocate my knee-cap with me sliding down past it with it somehow flying over me and landing on my legs again. It was bloody painful! The guy who was at the zebra crossing legged it and was no-where to be seen.

8 months later! I finally fixed it, put it all back together, had it look absolutely lovely, new tank paint job, everything was fine! On the first day back on it I went out for a 10 hour ride and was absolutely over the moon. The next day my bike's sparkplug tip fell off as I forgot to even look at it and I was stuck, I managed to get it home and I parked it just outside in my car park, safely tucked away from my gate. I went inside for 2 minutes and I came to it with a car just leaving the car park with it smashed to absolutely smithereens. Every single bit was damaged on the right side and someone fled, it was obviously hit with some speed; accident or not.

So I was left with this yet again, heap of bike in my garden. But I don't want to just leave it. I've just got a job again in which I'm saving up to do my A2 and buy a new bike, but my local bike night starts and I don't think I'll be able to do it all before summer ends. So I thought I might as well get this one back on the road so I can still enjoy summer to keep me occupied on saving for something new!

I have a few issues, this bike was fully faired but now I don't want to use the main ones, they're all cracked, the headlight cowl is smashed and I'd rather let me old man fix it as he's just got out of his knee operation with nothing to do. So, I'm in a bit of a pickle, I've got a few friends with little streetfighter hyosungs so I thought I'd be different and have someone like that, as no one would expect it.

The WK 125 RR is actually really lovely, just you have to maintain it a lot to keep up the reliability, it's honestly the size of a CBR 600 RR and it's been sat next to one, everyone thinks it's a huge bike.

What I want to do is find a new street-fighter type headlight for it, it's a simple 4 pin connector which I'll provide in pictures, It's also got a destroyed right hand switch, with a 2 pin brake light switch (I can't remember the proper names) and a 7 pin connector. I'm finding it very hard to actually find one and I'd thought I'd ask for help.

I don't care about looks, I'll make it look lovely in the end, I just want it back to have a good summer blast with my other mates on their bikes. It's an amazing bike where you can actually get your knee down without worrying about having tires the size of a little 125 and it's quite pokey in the low end. It spits it bangs and it sounds gorgeous.

If you guys can help me I'll be over the moon to get my bike back so then I can customize my Honda 250 Superdream and show off the work here.

Thank you very much guys and I hope you can help me out!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, in the wall-o-text I can't work out what you're actually asking? A TL;DR version appreciated.

Anyway, in short - it's needing bits, and the bits are going to cost money. It appears the bike isn't worth more than a few hundred quid in its current state and one that works is a bag-o-sand ish (I might be wrong, I'm no WK expert) if you wanted to stick to what you know. So in short, is it worth fixing? Probably not.....

Either cut losses and go off and buy something working, or stick with WK, buy another one same and use your current one for spares for when something invariably goes wrong again (damage or reliability related).

That'd be what I'd do, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Derrick The Diva
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:49 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Sorry, in the wall-o-text I can't work out what you're actually asking? A TL;DR version appreciated.

Anyway, in short - it's needing bits, and the bits are going to cost money. It appears the bike isn't worth more than a few hundred quid in its current state and one that works is a bag-o-sand ish (I might be wrong, I'm no WK expert) if you wanted to stick to what you know. So in short, is it worth fixing? Probably not.....

Either cut losses and go off and buy something working, or stick with WK, buy another one same and use your current one for spares for when something invariably goes wrong again (damage or reliability related).

That'd be what I'd do, anyway.

Yeah so the short is I just want some help to get some bits for it, which aren't off the original bike. As they are seriously rare. I don't have money at the moment to even afford a donor bike, I just want to fix the main two issues which would prevent me from riding it.

I rode around before with no headlights and the police tried to screw me over because it's a normal MOT rather than a Daytime. I don't want to get rid of it at the moment, I want something to ride; so it's easier for me to get this fixed up so I can enjoy the last few months I have with it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:57 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: The Wonderful WK 125 RR Reply with quote

'kin hell, Derrick. Is this your question?

Derrick The Diva wrote:
What I want to do is find a new street-fighter type headlight for it, it's a simple 4 pin connector which I'll provide in pictures, It's also got a destroyed right hand switch, with a 2 pin brake light switch (I can't remember the proper names) and a 7 pin connector. I'm finding it very hard to actually find one and I'd thought I'd ask for help.

Sorry, I'm not putting in the time to help you harm yourself. You were talking about doing A2, now it seems you intend to waste even more time and money on a tiddler.

It would be wrong for us to enable that.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrick The Diva wrote:

I rode around before with no headlights and the police tried to screw me over because it's a normal MOT rather than a Daytime.

So how much is a daytime MOT then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Derrick The Diva
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:06 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: The Wonderful WK 125 RR Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Sorry, I'm not putting in the time to help you harm yourself. You were talking about doing A2, now it seems you intend to waste even more time and money on a tiddler.

It would be wrong for us to enable that.

I'm not going to harm myself, me and many others would rather fix two small non effective performance options just so I can have a moving motorcycle rather than a stand still under the cover rust bucket.

Yes, I am saving up for my A2, but it won't cost me a lot of money to buy two items to have this road legal again, otherwise it's a waste of a fresh MOT and insurance that I already paid out for. I simply asked if anyone would help me rather than criticize me for what I'd like help with. That's all. If you don't want to help then that's fine, I honestly don't understand how this would put a risk to the bike at all. You don't have to instantly jump on a band wagon of scrapping a bike. When it was fine I put a lot of money into it and it held it's value. Now I just want it running again with a temporary headlight set up until the fairings come out of repair in a few months time.

I don't mean to be an ass but if you don't want to help then just don't post at all. I'm trying to have my own project on a bike which left a permanent smile on my face, no matter what the engine size.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: The Wonderful WK 125 RR Reply with quote

Derrick The Diva wrote:
When it was fine I put a lot of money into it and it held it's value.

How would you know that without someone actually parting with money for it?

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:24 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont find a match for the connectors, so simply cut them off and replace with something you can match up.

For a headlight, go used, on ebay. Anything big and single like and ER5 will do. or even new if you feel like it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clear-Headlight-KAWASAKI-ER-5-500-TWISTER-ER-6-N-ER650A-/152455124892?hash=item237f08979c:g:RqsAAOSw4CFY50dA

Headlights like that take H4 bulbs which have three pins, dip, main and earth. Not sure what your 4th pin will be for unless you have sidelights.

You'll need to make brackets for whatever you buy, or buy some universal ones which clamp to the forks.

For the right hand switch, I assume you mean the switchgear mounted to the throttle? Again, Id be finding something common and used which fits the same bar size and swapping them, but that relies on understanding what needs to be switched how. Some time with a multimeter will figure it out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-YAMAHA-FZS-FAZER-600-599CC-MOTORCYCLE-RIGHT-SIDE-GEAR-SWITCH-START-SWITCH-/162347195363?hash=item25cca59be3:g:iHwAAOSw241Ybm~e

You need to check if the brake switch works with a meter and if so, you can just rewire it, if not, you may have to replace the lever and master cylinder if a replacement switch is that hard to come by.

I'd guess someone competent with vehicle electrics would have it done in a couple of evenings for <£100 in parts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:41 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When OP rides an A2 training bike.

https://i.imgur.com/qz6ZXPf.gif
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1