Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any way to verify odometer reading?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Any way to verify odometer reading? Reply with quote

So ... today I walked into the local motorcycle dealership thinking I'd look at a "new-ish" (i.e. anything up to about 5 years old) boring-but-within-my-comfort-zone middleweight sports tourer and ... walked out after falling in love with and putting down a deposit on a 1999 ZX6R. So much for dealing with my impulse-control issues. How did that happen?? Shocked Very Happy

So anyway, it's in great condition, has clearly been looked after over the years, and obviously cheaper than what I actually had in mind, but I'm a bit suspicious of the odometer reading. The bike is 17 or 18 years old and only has 8000 miles on the clock.

Question is, do people really just keep a nice bike like that in the garage for years with hardly riding it? Does anybody know how one would go about checking that the reading on the digital odometer is actually accurate? Am I just being needlessly paranoid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Stick the reg in there ^

The odometer readings are recorded at mot time

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the MOT history. Should have the mileage listed.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, thanks!

Hmm, the MOT history looks in order, but it doesn't list anything before 2007 when it had 5,092 miles on the clock, I guess I'll have to take the "early years" on trust. Is it right that the system wouldn't go back any further than that?

Anyhow, looks like whoever had it then since 2007 hardly rode it at all for a few years and then either had an epiphany or someone else took ownership of it in 2013 and put 3000 miles on it between then and now.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by Marclev on 20:04 - 27 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT check ^^^
< < <

An excellent choice, sir! I've noticed lots of these bikes which are hardly used and on sale for around £2k.
Mine had 60,000 miles before I bought a second bike ('03 R1) and took the Kawasaki off the road for a mainly cosmetic "refresh". Now ready for an MOT. I'll never sell it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marclev wrote:
Nice, thanks!

Hmm, the MOT history looks in order, but it doesn't list anything before 2007

That's when MOT stations joined the internet age. Still scribing by chalk and slate before then.

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
MOT check ^^^
< < <

An excellent choice, sir! I've noticed lots of these bikes which are hardly used and on sale for around £2k.
Mine had 60,000 miles before I bought a second bike ('03 R1) and took the Kawasaki off the road for a mainly cosmetic "refresh". Now ready for an MOT. I'll never sell it.

Thanks, that's good to hear! I hadn't done any research on the bike whatsoever, it was a complete impulse purchase, everything I'm reading now though seems positive. Cheap insurance as well, which I was quite surprised by.

I liked the bike as the riding position isn't as aggressive as it's modern equivalents, and it's exactly in my sweet spot of sporty and comfortable. I'm hoping it will last me for a long time.

Any tips on things to look out for / be mindful of while riding and maintaining it?

Last edited by Marclev on 20:17 - 27 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Marclev wrote:
Nice, thanks!

That's when MOT stations joined the internet age. Still scribing by chalk and slate before then.

LOL, OK that makes sense. I'll just assume that someone bought it, rode it for 5000 miles and then quickly sold it to some elderly gentlemen who occasionally rode it up and down the street for over a decade after his wife found out he'd bought a bike without consulting her, or something.

I guess seeing as the MOT history lists all passes it is at the very least not likely to fall apart while I'm riding it Very Happy

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer to your question is No. Not 100%. Not for any bike.

It's a matter of credibility. And there are certainly ways to discredit the mileage:

- The MOT check (as linked above), plus paper MOTs. Make sure the mileage goes up as the date advances. But, even if it doesn't, there might be legitimate reasons for a one-off anomaly, such as data entry error by the MOT tester, or the clocks changing from miles to kilometers, or vice versa. The online database only goes back to 2006ish too, so it's not exactly comprehensive for a 19 year old bike.

- The Service Log. Again, make sure the mileage goes up as the date advances. Also check that it's consistent with the MOT mileage recordings.

- HPI check. The more expensive HPI checks will provide a mileage verification service. These typically check that there are no anomalies in the mileage progression based on MOT data, V5 data (when the odometer reading is entered at the change of keeper point), and also the recorded mileage when previous HPI checks have been purchased. Again, you can have false positive alerts here because it's sensitive to data entry errors, particularly with people rounding up/down because they don't think what they put in goes on the record. It does.

Even if all that stacks up, all it tells you is that there's no record to suggest that it's inaccurate. Which, for the most part, is as good as it being genuine.

Even so, there are many other reasons (deliberate or otherwise) why it might not be genuine. So, if it's important to you that it is accurate, then even if the above does stack up, take your own view based on the age and condition, and ownership history (if you have it). I would suggest that it's unlikely but not unknown for that kind of bike to have covered so few miles.

Last edited by Alex A on 20:32 - 27 Apr 2017; edited 9 times in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marclev wrote:
I liked the bike as the riding position isn't as aggressive as it's modern equivalents, I'm hoping it will last me for a long time, as it's exactly in my sweet spot of sporty and comfortable.

Exactly. Built before they all got miniaturised.

Marckev wrote:
Any tips on things to look out for / be mindful of while riding and maintaining?

It's been pretty solid and reliable, although regular use and servicing helped. No breakdowns. The Tokico 6-pots have a bad reputation for sticking but after a ride in bad weather I quickly rinse the bike with water from a watering can, splash some on the brakes and then roll back and forth a few times while jabbing the front lever to clear water out. No problems. I don't clean the bike often but when I do it is thorough. The green wheels required some work and acidic chemicals to keep clean and eventually the paint comes off, which is what prompted the refresh. It's always lived outside until 2 years ago, albeit under a Halfords cover.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:10 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of garage queens around.

Things I'd check in particular:

Inside the tank for rust.
Fork seals for weeping.
That the tyres aren't ancient and hardened.
That the oil is still something like a liquid.
Exhaust, under the fairing.
Battery. Watch out for them jump-starting it.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Plenty of garage queens around.

Things I'd check in particular:

Inside the tank for rust.
Fork seals for weeping.
That the tyres aren't ancient and hardened.
That the oil is still something like a liquid.
Exhaust, under the fairing.
Battery. Watch out for them jump-starting it.

Yup, just have look through egay, there's plenty of almost unbelievably low mileage bikes about - I myself have a 34 year old bike with a verifiable 18K on the clock.

Apart from the things that could be wrong with it now, be prepared for stuff that could go bad when you start using it in anger.

Of course, it could be ultra low mileage because it's got a history of being used as track day machine, it which case it's been caned and things have been replaced to keep it tip top, which is not a bad thing.

On the other hand, if it really hasn't been anywhere, everything is 18 years old and just waiting to give up the ghost - bearings, bushes, anything made of rubber, etc.

I'm not saying it's going to fall apart like a clown car, but (in my experience) it might and you need to be ready for it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:07 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exup came with MOT certs since 1992. Apparently it only did 27 miles one year......

Recorded milage is bollocks. Condition is everything. Look at pedals, seat and levers.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a bloke who patiently rebuilt an old triumph twin (well he got all his mates to do it whilst he patiently made them cups of tea). For 5 years after it was finished its only mileage was to and from the MOT test which was close enough to push to if he wanted.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 10:16 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a zx9r of the same vintage with under 10k miles because the bike basically has spent most of its life not being used. Perfectly possible and the MOT checker is a good place to start.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

People buy another bike but don't always want or need to sell their older one.or have intermittent health problems keeps mileage low.
Certainly not unusual but not always a good thing if it just sat for a number of years.
Rubbery parts are going to degrade regardless though storage in dry and dark will prolong life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:26 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 98 zx6r recently, seems ok at 24,000 the only thing i can find wrong is the radiator is starting to corode and a few fins are falling out, the very short front mudguard doesnt help so ive fitted an extender, apart from that its ok.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:37 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Any way to verify odometer reading? Reply with quote

Marclev wrote:
Question is, do people really just keep a nice bike like that in the garage for years with hardly riding it?

Yes.
My bike Laughing

Test date 15 June 2006
3,197 miles

Test date 25 September 2007
3,526 miles

Test date 7 July 2009
3,550 miles

Test date 16 July 2010
4,915 miles

Test date 7 July 2011
5,382 miles

Test date 9 November 2012
5,709 miles

Test date 5 November 2015
5,774 miles

Test date 9 November 2016
8,529 miles

Guess when I bought it Mr. Green Thumbs Up

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boss has a Mint 2008 R1.
Gets either 20 odd miles a year going in for its MOT or every few years it gets a couple of hundred if he takes it up north for a long weekend (going up north on a trailer that is).

I get his motul 7100 each year when he changed is Laughing

Doubt it'll hit 10k in the next few decades but bugger me it's shiny and sounds superb!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Any way to verify odometer reading? Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
Marclev wrote:
Question is, do people really just keep a nice bike like that in the garage for years with hardly riding it?

Yes.
My bike Laughing

Test date 15 June 2006
3,197 miles

3,526 miles

Test date 7 July 2009
3,550 miles

Test date 16 July 2010
4,915 miles

Test date 7 July 2011
5,382 miles

5,709 miles

5,774 miles

8,529 miles

Why the gap? See you've got my spidey sense tingling. I accept bikes can do very low miles, I saw an 8 year old Hornet with 6k that had one owner from new. I get suspicious when the bikes been through multiple owners, someone at some point has to swing a leg over the thing right?

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Any way to verify odometer reading? Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
Marclev wrote:

Yes.
My bike Laughing

Test date 15 June 2006
3,197 miles

3,526 miles

Test date 7 July 2009
3,550 miles

Test date 16 July 2010
4,915 miles

Test date 7 July 2011
5,382 miles

5,709 miles

5,774 miles

8,529 miles

Oh go on then - At an average of 533.2 miles per year ... 2000 or 2001 per chance?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Marclev wrote:
Nice, thanks!

my local one was still using the market trader scales and winch for the brake test until last year when a move of premises required the fitting of rollers!
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 355 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1