Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Short term insurance gaming

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Short term insurance gaming Reply with quote

What you would do if you only wanted to insure a bike until October 2017 (less than 6 months).

- Find a month by month insurer (examples?)

- Get a standard quote, pay in full, cancel the insurance and take the admin charge and reduced discount (so basically pay a full year for 5 months).

- Get a standard quote, pay by month, cancel the direct debit and insurance. See what happens.

- Option 4 (please elaborate).

Possibly a multibike multirider policy?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check terms, work out how much you'll get back for cancelling within 6 months. Not entirely sure what all the bawwing's about, insurance's going to be a couple of hundred quid for most people, beats public transport for 5 months.

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:01 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a year's cover, pay it in one and cancel it when you're finished. Treat anything you get back as a bonus.

Option three will get your back doors smashed in. The monthly payment goes to the finance company who paid off your policy in a oner because you (foolishly) didn't. It's not a Netflix subscription. Best case scenario I can imagine upon trying to 'cancel' it is they'll graciously offer to let you pay off the balance including the exhorbitant interest that you agreed to.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall baww, because it is a stupid system.

And it seems insane to have no way to buy shorter insurance terms.

It is cheap, relative to what they could be fucking me for.

Not cheap relative to my age, history and the learner friendly tractor I'm insuring. (No NCB as returned from overseas)

Having to pay a full year for 5 months adds a bit of salt to the wound.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=319576

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

Aye, saw that (after posting my own Doh!)

But that is barely one month, I'm talking the lumpy end of 6 months (5.5, to be precise).

So, does anyone know a better way to insure for HALF a year?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:

Aye, saw that (after posting my own Doh!)

But that is barely one month, I'm talking the lumpy end of 6 months (5.5, to be precise).

I don't think there is a better option.
Just make sure you get details of the cancellation terms.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

160 quid with breakdown cover and and 90 days in EU (which I can do at the end, so sort of 9 months).

Ho hum, it's a weird industry.

whockin
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:10 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar dilemma with my car last year. Unfortunately, as previously said there is no workaround.

You pay your year, cancel it when you can, and anything you recoup is a bonus you gratefully accept in outstretched hands.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

In reality there isn't one that's guaranteed, however:
There are certain motor underwriters that operate cancellation on a pro-rata basis subject to a cancellation charge (documentation free) that are reasonable - but there's no way of knowing whether they would insure you personally on your vehicle as I don't know that detail or their underwriting criteria. What I do know is that I got a quote for a company with a pro-rata cancellation stance recently and they are available via comparison websites.
There is a slim to middling possibility that a company that insures you on your current bike that tends to have an underwriting strategy of bog standard middle range type machines MAY decide to give you a pro-rata refund if you were to call them up mid-term and inform them that you have bought a modified custom cruiser bobber streetfighter super-turbocharged 3 wheeler and they're unfortunately unable to continue your cover, through no fault of your own, as they're unable to accept the new vehicle. It tends to be at their discretion and their discretion is usually based on how convincing and engaging you can be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

It is, but legally they earn their money on Day 1 as you can just as easily have a major accident (with £10m claims for all 10 cars involved and their passengers) on that day, as you can on day 365 of the policy.
There are legal precedents but they appreciate that it would just cause problems selling policies which aren't cancellable and very few people would buy one whilst any other company offers a partial refund.
I've seen much stricter cancellation terms on major industrial risks and zero cancellation terms on certain businesses which are seasonal (no you can't have a 10 month pro-rata refund on your sugar cane pressing mill now the season is over, when 95% of the hazard is during the pressing season)
So you just have to do your research for the best deal for you...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
160 quid with breakdown cover and and 90 days in EU (which I can do at the end, so sort of 9 months).

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder28/500x/20024028.jpg

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:42 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another option, buy some tracksuit bottoms and a hoody, throw your helmet away and take off your number plate and just thrash the bike everywhere.
Everyone will just think you have stolen it and no one will bother you and the police wont even try to pull you. You'll probably qualify for free petrol at some stations, added bonus..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:20 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clone the plate from an unmarked police bike, you say?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

There is a slim to middling possibility that a company that insures you on your current bike that tends to have an underwriting strategy of bog standard middle range type machines MAY decide to give you a pro-rata refund if you were to call them up mid-term and inform them that you have bought a modified custom cruiser bobber streetfighter super-turbocharged 3 wheeler and they're unfortunately unable to continue your cover

I like your thinking: however wouldn't that mean that in future you'd have to answer "Yes" to the dreaded catch-all question "Have you ever had insurance declined" or whatever, with the possible implications that has?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I like your thinking: however wouldn't that mean that in future you'd have to answer "Yes" to the dreaded catch-all question "Have you ever had insurance declined" or whatever, with the possible implications that has?

No; YOU haven't had anything declined, they've just declined to cover the bike.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:57 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

One thing to note is that while you may get a % refund on the ins side. I have yet to find one that gives any sort of refund on breakdown cover.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1