Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki file patents for a ~600cc squishy-air twin

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:02 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Suzuki file patents for a ~600cc squishy-air twin Reply with quote

And it's only been 4 years since they revealed it!

The original concept claimed to be tuned for low down torque around 4500rpm rather than peak power. It's Suzuki though, so allah alone knows what, if anything, will finally make it into production.

Article says "turbo".

Patents say "super".

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/-/media/default-website/recursion.ashx?h=444&w=740&la=en&hash=866045E632B52CC0A799CF78A5D9C2D162DF5C77

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/-/media/default-website/recursion3.ashx?h=574&w=740&la=en&hash=BCC34A8A60CB1ECD3894CF8F6BF50217669F1661

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Turbo" is "super". Reverse is not necessarily true.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:38 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they both squish 5 quarter turns worth of air into one circle?

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:40 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the actuator.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They needed this bike and technology 2-3years ago or more. Honda has its unique NC750 fuel sipper, Yamaha has its cross plane crank engines, and Kawasaki has the supercharger.

Suzuki you should have had a range of factory turbo bikes ages ago! It's no good having blowers on GSXR 1000's or truck sized turbo's on Hayabusas etc, but some mid size, eco engines with FI and for touring and naked fun bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:25 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a449/mikecarter1969/cs1_zpslha91awd.jpg

What did they pinch the exhaust off of? A chainsaw?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:26 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretagentmole wrote:

That's the shock reservoir, you spud. The exhaust is under the engine.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
secretagentmole wrote:

That's the shock reservoir, you spud. The exhaust is under the engine.

Laughing

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Suzuki file patents for a ~600cc squishy-air twin Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's Suzuki though, so allah alone knows what, if anything, will finally make it into production.

My money would be on a boring fuel efficient commuter built down to a price and gimped for Eurobollocks. "Turbo" badges though will make every teenager want one (and steal one).

I doubt they are going to make a factory turbo mental nutter bike, the market would be to small.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:30 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be astonished if it ever makes it to production.

A turbo-nutter bike sold at a huge premium, you can see the profit.

A complicated 600 that makes litre-bike performance for litre-bike (or more) cost, not so much. How many people in the market for litre-bikes care about fuel economy?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

A complicated 600 that makes litre-bike performance for litre-bike (or more) cost, not so much. How many people in the market for litre-bikes care about fuel economy?

It has almost been done before. The Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo cost new about the same as the GPz1100 of the time, and compared well with the competition's prices for litre bikes. Performance figures were within a whisker of each other. Both were 'high' performance bikes, though not really in the nutter class. The Turbo also gave pretty good fuel economy at legal speeds (I measured about 50mpg on one long motorway trip of speeds up to about 80mph) although I've no idea how it compared to the 1100 in that regard.

Actually, the Kawasaki made quite a bit of sense as a turbocharged bike. I guess it was really a sports bike in its day, but it was comfortable, with good weather protection from the fairing, and made a good tourer.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

And small sales figures. The H2 I think has tapped that tiny niche and to be honest I reckon that was more a blip on the radar/proof of concept than anything else. It's been about long enough now if it was a real money maker the other manufacturers would have done something similar already.

Rogerborg wrote:

Or a cheap Thai/Indian/Chinese made bike with a fancy turbo engine, that is tuned for economy. Worked for cars look how many Fiesta Ecoboost shit boxes are around.

Sure lower margin but I bet the volume of sales would make it exceed any awesome nutter bike in profitability.

Purely baseless opinion and conjecture though...... I want them to make the awesome mental nutter bike.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stupid fucking prick! You want them to make a factory turbo nutter bike in 2017?

What a screaming childish baby! You want a big manufacturer to do the hard work for you and make a factory turbo nutter bike that you probably won't even buy if they did? Nobody would buy new 350bhp Hayabusa turbo's if they were factory made, as the tiny number of people that want them or have a serious use for one will always build their own or pay a proven race engine builder with experience.

You might as well be even more of a twat and say you want the bike manufacturers to build a factory 500GP bike while your at it.

Downsizing and downspeeding is a thing, and as much as we might not like it, if you want to keep an ICE bike in production you need to be good on fuel, and very clean at the tailpipe.

A bike with 600cc power 120-130bhp and litre bike torque will be very different, usable and relevant in todays world too. Turbo's are about much more than waiting for eternity for spool and then all hell and fire breaking loose.

Suzuki needs this turbo technology as a unique selling point, as everyone else has something of their own.

We'll probably see a direct injection Ducati superbike soon maybe a TSFI unit?

KTM has EFI two strokes, with more to come with eventual direct injection.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:00 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, somebody's missus must have had a whopper of a headache last night.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
You stupid fucking prick! You want them to make a factory turbo nutter bike in 2017?

What a screaming childish baby! You want a big manufacturer to do the hard work for you and make a factory turbo nutter bike that you probably won't even buy if they did? Nobody would buy new 350bhp Hayabusa turbo's if they were factory made, as the tiny number of people that want them or have a serious use for one will always build their own or pay a proven race engine builder with experience.

You might as well be even more of a twat and say you want the bike manufacturers to build a factory 500GP bike while your at it.

Downsizing and downspeeding is a thing, and as much as we might not like it, if you want to keep an ICE bike in production you need to be good on fuel, and very clean at the tailpipe.

A bike with 600cc power 120-130bhp and litre bike torque will be very different, usable and relevant in todays world too. Turbo's are about much more than waiting for eternity for spool and then all hell and fire breaking loose.

Suzuki needs this turbo technology as a unique selling point, as everyone else has something of their own.

We'll probably see a direct injection Ducati superbike soon maybe a TSFI unit?

KTM has EFI two strokes, with more to come with eventual direct injection.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swzh9a20gmkh3li/ctfdg.png?raw=1

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a sign of affection when Stevo goes mental at you Wub

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Doesn't licking windows get you the attention you need?

stevo as b4 wrote:

so as I said

wr6133 wrote:
Or a cheap Thai/Indian/Chinese made bike with a fancy turbo engine, that is tuned for economy. Worked for cars look how many Fiesta Ecoboost shit boxes are around.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was the CX500 and 650 turbos too back in the day. Those fetch decent money now considering. Not many around though, they only made them for a year or two.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Worked for cars look how many Fiesta Ecoboost shit boxes are around.

What's wrong with them (genuine question)? Same power as my 1.6, 100% cheaper to tax and cheaper to insure. If they were older/cheaper ones around I would have gone for one.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing world ending wrong with downsized engines in cars, but just don't fall for the trap of thinking they make a car better or nicer to drive or are as economical as the claims when driven to get the same performance as the bigger engined car you replaced it with.

There's some issues with reliability in general as turbo, direct injection petrols are getting almost as complex or fussy about maintenance as current diesels. Some don't want this level of complexity in a petrol as they might as well go derv otherwise. Theres a lesser argument over long term durability too. Highly boosted petrol engines like lots of regular servicing and drivers that don't switch off immediately after a flat out blast.

Lastly there's two types of car owners/drivers.
Enthusiasts, and then everybody else. The everybody else's who a large majority of are non bonnet lifters, and lifestyle choices people, will like these little downsized engines, the low tax, and the potential for good economy. The torque surfers brought up on TDI's will like the similar power delivery and the short rev range with easy lazy driving manners.

Don't expect a track day enthusiast or car modding junkie to love these little downsized car powertrains. If I was going to spend 10k on building a modified track friendly Fiesta, then I'd much rather start with the 1.6 or 1.8 etc and convert to forced induction than use an over blown 1.0, with a cylinder missing, a crap soundtrack and no headroom for more go. Add to that alot of real serious track drivers don't like forced induction, not turbo style anyway.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Car stuff. Again.

Rolling Eyes Don't you belong to any car forums where you can get this stuff off your chest?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:
Car stuff. Again.

Rolling Eyes Don't you belong to any car forums where you can get this stuff off your chest?

My fault, well wr6133s Smile Actually when I proposed (the idea of) putting one of these engines in a bike it was an interesting debate, if I was an engineering genius I probably would even though the end result would be very heavy.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do me a special version of bcf where we are all banned, flogged, and subjected to 5years hard labour if we talk about, like or ride bikes under 10years old.

I admire you embrace the modern technology and rider aids era, and the whole you've never had it so good or controllable viewpoint etc.

But I want to live in the world of blue haze, the unridables, and Baba San making the first clean sheet superbike etc. We had slipper clutches and EFI working well enough by the early noughties. I don't need to know about bikes more modern than this, as I don't understand them, the need for them or what makes clean, stacked with electronics, and emissions friendly bikes so much better.

The bloke in the shed nailing on a set of K8 GSXR forks to his GS or GT750 is all I need to read about to feel happy and content.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:14 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Can you do me a special version of bcf where we are all banned, flogged, and subjected to 5years hard labour if we talk about, like or ride bikes under 10years old.

https://www.vjmc.com

HTH Thumbs Up

Just quit with the car stuff in biking threads will ya?!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:43 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Just quit with the car stuff in biking threads will ya?!

What car do you drive chicken? Cool I'm guessing an old Corsa with a triple Whistle
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2