Toronto

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Toronto Reply with quote

Merry Saturday,

I'm going to Toronto for 5 days towards the end of May before flying to the land of the free for a week.

Has anybody been and can you give me any recommendations? Niagara Falls is one place I would like to see but getting there...I dunno.

I'm open minded about what I want to see there as this will be my first time in Canada, however I'm also travelling on a budget.

Thanks in advance

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Toronto Reply with quote

GrumpyGuts wrote:
Niagara Falls is one place I would like to see

Sorry to be a merchant of gloom but should you make the effort to visit Niagara Falls, you will almost certainly be disappointed. They're not as grand as imagined and the surrounding area is full of tat shops. Think of Blackpool or Bridlington or Great Yarmouth and you won't be far off.
If you're only going to be in Toronto for five days, I suggest that you don't waste one of them by visiting the falls.

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Toronto Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:

I suggest that you don't waste one of them by visiting the falls.

Noted Thumbs Up

However, I would still like to see it as I've never seen a waterfall that big in person before. I'm not interested in any of the tourist crap, just the geology for this one.

I also want to walk over the bridge that crosses the USA/Canada border so I can jump either side of it. My aim is to visit the US about 1,000 times

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:00 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Toronto Reply with quote

GrumpyGuts wrote:
Raffles wrote:

I suggest that you don't waste one of them by visiting the falls.

Noted Thumbs Up

However, I would still like to see it as I've never seen a waterfall that big in person before. I'm not interested in any of the tourist crap, just the geology for this one.

I also want to walk over the bridge that crosses the USA/Canada border so I can jump either side of it. My aim is to visit the US about 1,000 times

Make sure you go and see the canadian falls. The american one is a bit shit. (Yes there are two niagra falls, google it)

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me if you see these two.

https://orig11.deviantart.net/b987/f/2010/320/3/f/terrance_and_phillip_1_by_insane_pencil-d32ytff.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was helping some Canadian tourists at work and trying not to laugh when they kept on saying 'aboot' Laughing

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:33 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Toronto Reply with quote

Megabus operate over there, only took us a couple of hours max from Toronto sat on an air contitoned wifi-enabled bus, stress-free.

If you want to book a boat make sure it's the Hornblower. The more commonly known Maid of the Mist is on the United States side of the river. If you're more interested in the geology bit they do some kind of guided walk right down to the river's edge near the falls, we never did it but I sorta wish I did!

The American side has a shit view of the falls, the Canadian side looks directly at them. If you're going to see them it might as well be from the correct side Thumbs Up

Do check out the island parks in Toronto, the ferry is frequent and cheap. The residents can often be seen kayaking to them! There are some fairly decent beaches on there too.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I was helping some Canadian tourists at work and trying not to laugh when they kept on saying 'aboot' Laughing

https://www.greatcanadianjokebook.com/cartoon_jokes/94631161-its-aboot.jpeg

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Niagra Falls. Yes it's a tourist trap but still spectacular and good fun. Visit on the Canadian side. The American side is crap.

Toronto, in my experience, was tidy, efficient and dull. An entire city of Canary Wharf. The CN tower was a hoot. Montreal was a much nicer city.

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 06:50 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 1 for the C N tower, the glass floor bits are pretty cool! Also I went behind the falls into the tunnel, that was pretty good too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Niagra and the CN tower.

Niagra is, as said, tat city but there is also a ucking massive waterfall, that you can go through tunnels to the back of and on boats to get soaked by. We got cheerfully overcharged at a restaurant to sit on their balcony, where else are you going to get a view like that with lunch?

Last time I went to Toronto there was a massive Sega video games place which was great fun (IIRC, you paid to get in then the machines are all free) but that was many years ago now... (The Phantom Menance had just come out. I also saw The Matrix that time, before we'd heard of it in the UK... I feel old now...)

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:35 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam whistle brewery tour / pub was decent when i was there 2 years ago. Tasty stuff. Located in the park near the CN tower.

CN Tower and niagra both worth doing one you've gone all that way, as already said. We did the Canadian boat into the mist but could see the walkers in the tunnels and that looked cool. Tat shops were shit.

Top recommendation would be to catch an ice hockey game but you just missed the season. Baseball stadium is central too if that's your thing?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:44 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey buddy,

I am also there end of May.

Mate has suggested the mississauga playdium as I'm a game and arcade fan. Niagara is good, apparently better from the NY side, not the Canada side but opinions appear to differ.

I'm staying in Downtown Hamilton Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestions, everybody.

Paddy, I'm going on May 22nd til the 26th, staying in the Kensington Market area.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Niagara is good, apparently better from the NY side, not the Canada side but opinions appear to differ.

The opposite is true. Canada side gives you the classic view of both falls. American side is looking the wrong way.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 05:26 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Toronto Reply with quote

GrumpyGuts wrote:

this will be my first time in Canada.

Toronto is as much Canada as Bradford is England.

Dull boring multicultural cesspit.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1