Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Corroded ally case

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Corroded ally case Reply with quote

I have got a ally transmission case that is corroded, blisters and white dust. The problem is once I got the paint off, been recommended aircraft remover, the corroded surface is pitted. Which filler do members recommend. I know that to paint I need an etch primer. I would just like the finish to be reasonable.
Past bikes simsom mofa 1s, suzuki hustler 250 (£35 in 1973), suzuki ts125k, mz150, yamaha yb 100, honda pc50, honda vision 50, all 2 stroke - then cars - honda pcx 125 (sold) own honda fes 125 and Mrs 125 spares or repairs. Started 1972 all accidents walked away no insurAnce claims
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stephenniall
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean the metal well.

1 light coat of etch is all that's needed on Ally, follow with 3-4 coats of good high build primer (2K Ideally).

Unless it's really severe pitting 2K Primer will usually fill any small pitting and allow you to flat back well for paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks will try it
Past bikes simsom mofa 1s, suzuki hustler 250 (£35 in 1973), suzuki ts125k, mz150, yamaha yb 100, honda pc50, honda vision 50, all 2 stroke - then cars - honda pcx 125 (sold) own honda fes 125 and Mrs 125 spares or repairs. Started 1972 all accidents walked away no insurAnce claims

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:34 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just do a plastikote BBQ paint directly onto engine casings. It's a bit soft once dry until it's been heated/cooled a few times so you either need to fit them and take care the first couple of rides or bake them in a low oven after.

Very forgiving satin black finish.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/cb500/DSCN0321.png

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 01:17 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Corroded ally case Reply with quote

Paulf wrote:
I have got a ally transmission case that is corroded, blisters and white dust. The problem is once I got the paint off, been recommended aircraft remover, the corroded surface is pitted. Which filler do members recommend. I know that to paint I need an etch primer. I would just like the finish to be reasonable.

Filler & etch primer is a no-no... Filler goes over 2 things: Bare metal or epoxy primer.

Although with that said, just how corroded is the case that it needs filler?? Got pics?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1