Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CBF600 Info/advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:50 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Honda CBF600 Info/advice Reply with quote

Hello all, I'm looking to buy my first bike very soon and really fancy a CBF600 or Hornet. I'd like an unfaired one as I'm not too fond of the looks of the later model with the half fairing. I'd also want it to be fuel injected as I'd rather avoid carb's. I'd rather it be a round headlamp model but could go for a 'non-round' headlamp if I had to.

From a bit of googling I'm not sure if what I'm after exists or not. Does anyone know the year/model designation if so?

Thanks in advance.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Honda CBF600 Info/advice Reply with quote

License to kill wrote:

Have you got a license yet?

Have you got an R6 yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:45 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Honda CBF600 Info/advice Reply with quote

License to kill wrote:
garybee wrote:
Hello all, I'm looking to buy my first bike very soon

Have you got a license yet?

Nope, just a licence. You've spelt your name wrong too by the way Laughing Of course none of this has anything to do with the question. If you know anything of relevance I would much appreciate you sharing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:17 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Honda CBF600 Info/advice Reply with quote

garybee wrote:
really fancy a CBF600 or Hornet.

The CBF600 could be considered the Special Olympics version of the CB600F Hornet.

https://i.imgur.com/YTYV14v.jpg?1

It's an eye watering 30-40kg heavier than the Hornet, depending which lies you want to believe, and detuned. It was however fuel injected from its introduction in 2004 and has retained a round eyed CBF600N version.

I believe that Honda carried on with carbs in the CB600F Hornet until they released a completely new Euro3 version in 2007, which unfortunately comes with a minger light on it.

I await correction, but I don't think there's a CB600F with a round light and fuel injection. You could sling on a universal round light with some fork clamps if you fancy a bit of spannering, but the instrument cluster is designed to sit above the Minger Light so it might look a bit odd.

You haven't said where you are, so I'll assume that means London. In that case, you definitely want a bike registered in 2007 onwards to avoid the ULEZ bumming that's coming soon.

Marlin
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Honda CBF600 Info/advice Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I await correction, but I don't think there's a CB600F with a round light and fuel injection.

Don't know about the CB600F, but the CBF600-N 2008-12 is naked, round headlight and FI.
There's a clear pic on https://cycle-ergo.com/

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually not one to 'slam' any bikes but I did my DAS on a CBF600. It was the first 600 I'd ridden but even that wasn't enough to make me think the bike was nice. Incredibly boring bike. Each to their own though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:21 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger/Snowdonia - I appreciate it's not appealing to most of course. I think one of these would be perfect for me however.

Marlin - That looks like just what I'm after, thank you.

Now there's every chance that after a few months I'll realise it's boring and want to buy something else. If that's the case then I'll just have the fun of buying something else. There are a couple of new bikes I like but I don't want to buy a new bike straight away. It'll just make me grumpy when I realise I've bought something I don't want and have to take a big hit due to the depreciation of something new.

Thanks very much guys.

edit: forgot to say, emissions not an issue for me. I live out in the Lincolnshire Wolds so no silly inner city rules to worry about.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBF600, we have one as an A2 restricted bike, It's not a bad machine and very user friendly, not quite as boring as a bandit but not far off it but it is a work horse.

We have 2 of the latter shape Hornets as full cat A bikes, they are good fun. Friendly enough to be used by all and fun enough to throw around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw my buddy has an 08 cbf naked and has ridden it every day for almost 3 years. I've not heard many complaints about it from him. Fanstastically reliable, cheap to run and has enough go. There are faster more sparkly bikes but it is what it is. I wouldn't be unhappy owning one..

That said, I would choose the hornet every day of the week. More power in a lighter package for roughly the same outlay is a no brainer

Both tanks have a shite range though unless you are on a longer ride where you can maintain speed. During town only commute he was getting 120-130 from a tank on the cbf

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:01 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
CBF600, we have one as an A2 restricted bike

Y U NO use CB500F tho? Seems a bit cruel and unusual to put learners on something so lardy.

garybee wrote:
Now there's every chance that after a few months I'll realise it's boring and want to buy something else. If that's the case then I'll just have the fun of buying something else.

Smart thinking, that man. Yes, that's exactly the way to view it.

Before you decide, I'd urge you to try out a few different bikes. An IL4, a twin like an ER6, or every thief's favourite, the Street Triple.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

Both tanks have a shite range though unless you are on a longer ride where you can maintain speed. During town only commute he was getting 120-130 from a tank on the cbf

Agreed, Hornet has something like a 14L tank, we're always filling the things up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learnt on a CBR600, first 600 you ride is always going to blow your cock off. Bought a 2001 CB660F Hornet for my first bike. Was a hoot, nimble and quick enough whe nyou wring its neck. Although the CBR600 was newer, I prefered the Hornet.

It's going to be going up for sale this week though.

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:26 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will of course be trying some other bikes too. I really like the looks of these though and think its 80ish bhp will do for now.

I'll have to have a go on a Hornet too. I don't doubt it's a better bike but not sure I can live with that headlight.

This thread has helped me know what I'm looking for now. After looking closely at a few pictures the difference between the carb'd and injected engines can be clearly seen as the lower engine covers are a different shape. There seem to be quite a few for sale from the year they changed over to the new engine and I don't want to travel to see a bike then find out it's the wrong one.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:32 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

garybee wrote:
After looking closely at a few pictures the difference between the carb'd and injected engines can be clearly seen as the lower engine covers are a different shape.

On the CB600F Hornet? The 2006 is carbed and has a round headlight. The 2007 is fuel injected, has the Minger Light and is pretty much a do-over. They're easily distinguishable.

If you're talking about the CBF600, I believe they were always fuel injected. Might be wrong. Hard to tell when I'm not sure to which bike you're referring.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:21 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Honda CBF600 Info/advice Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

The CBF600 could be considered the Special Olympics version of the CB600F Hornet.

https://i.imgur.com/YTYV14v.jpg?1

hurt my feels you have.

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:12 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
garybee wrote:
After looking closely at a few pictures the difference between the carb'd and injected engines can be clearly seen as the lower engine covers are a different shape.

On the CB600F Hornet? The 2006 is carbed and has a round headlight. The 2007 is fuel injected, has the Minger Light and is pretty much a do-over. They're easily distinguishable.

If you're talking about the CBF600, I believe they were always fuel injected. Might be wrong. Hard to tell when I'm not sure to which bike you're referring.

The Hornets are easy as you point out. Round headlamp=carb Minger light(like that name for it)=injected.

The lesser version is the one I was struggling with. It seems that there's a CBF600 up to '07 with a round headlamp and carbs. Then from '08 that same bike gets fuel injection but is then called the CBF600N.

It doesn't help that the Hornet is also called the CB600F, non-Hornets are sometimes advertised as Hornets and CBF600N and CBF600 are both usually advertised as the CBF600.

Think I'm sorted now though as it appears that all the carbed bikes have black engines and injected bikes are silver. Unless they really are Hornets which are the other way round.

Think I've gone off them a bit now.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

garybee wrote:

The Hornets are easy as you point out. Round headlamp=carb Minger light(like that name for it)=injected.

The lesser version is the one I was struggling with. It seems that there's a CBF600 up to '07 with a round headlamp and carbs. Then from '08 that same bike gets fuel injection but is then called the CBF600N.

It doesn't help that the Hornet is also called the CB600F, non-Hornets are sometimes advertised as Hornets and CBF600N and CBF600 are both usually advertised as the CBF600.

Think I'm sorted now though as it appears that all the carbed bikes have black engines and injected bikes are silver. Unless they really are Hornets which are the other way round.

Think I've gone off them a bit now.

Lol!

You my friend need an evening reading MCN reviews haha.

Just to throw you even more, this was my first big bike.. a 2007 CB600FA-7.. (Hornet Laughing ) This was the first year of the new shape. To be honest, I wasn't mega keen on it either but when it came up for sale locally I couldn't say no.

Excuse potato pics, sold it last month.

https://i.imgur.com/Mu88NgV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IfwipN8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aiEORfh.jpg

Ultimately yes there are more exciting bikes, however as a beginner I thought it was brilliant. I kept the feckin' thing for 4 years.

It's a bit like ronseal, it does what it says on the tin. Rides well, stops incredibly well (ABS to hammer.. something which I have gotten into a very bad habit with stamping on the rear.. but that's for another time Rolling Eyes)

Over 7k they come alive if pushed. More than enough to get into trouble with.

About 140-150+ tank range if your just commuting.

And, to top it all off, you want to know a little inside joke?

I sold it last month for £150 less than I bought it for.

Over 4 years ago. Because Honda. Mr. Green

Not bad value for money. Laughing Laughing

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/12000998_10153695290149374_6029292056448190911_o.jpg?oh=cec0fa0ed17927a4a64bc3e2690aad2b&oe=597B55E1

The one on the right is a carb'd 2001 Hornet, just so you know...

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Honda CBF600 Info/advice Reply with quote

garybee wrote:
Hello all, I'm looking to buy my first bike very soon and really fancy a CBF600 or Hornet. I'd like an unfaired one as I'm not too fond of the looks of the later model with the half fairing. I'd also want it to be fuel injected as I'd rather avoid carb's. I'd rather it be a round headlamp model but could go for a 'non-round' headlamp if I had to.

From a bit of googling I'm not sure if what I'm after exists or not. Does anyone know the year/model designation if so?

Thanks in advance.

One thing I would say, given it's your first big bike ... looks or not, are you going to want to do any medium and/or long distance trips on it? If so, a naked bike may look nice, but just be aware wind resistance is actually a real thing (I do realise admitting to that is against some sort of unwritten code, and am readying myself for the flames!). May be worth test riding something faired as well, just to be able to compare the experience, is all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:05 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unlikely to go any distance on it so I'm pretty confident that I will be fine with a naked. I don't doubt that the Hornet is a better bike but they'll all feel rapid to me so I figure that I may as well buy the one that I like the look of the most.

That early Hornet does look nice but I'm keen to avoid carbs.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:51 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a carb kill your father?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer carbs. Easier to fix and tune and much lighter (see how big the ECU is on an injected bike along with all the extra wiring). Fuel injection on bikes isn't exactly 100% problem free either, poor fuelling, fuel pump issues, leaking injectors etc etc. It's still nowhere near as developed as the systems used in cars, although having said that FI in cars has been commonplace for 30 odd years so plenty of time to make it work.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:16 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
I prefer carbs. Easier to fix and tune and much lighter (see how big the ECU is on an injected bike along with all the extra wiring). Fuel injection on bikes isn't exactly 100% problem free either, poor fuelling, fuel pump issues, leaking injectors etc etc. It's still nowhere near as developed as the systems used in cars, although having said that FI in cars has been commonplace for 30 odd years so plenty of time to make it work.

that's like saying the fuel injections in petrol engines is less developed than the fuel injection in petrol engines.

What's the number of wheels got to do with it ?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2