Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Torn Between The Two

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:44 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Torn Between The Two Reply with quote

So I've had my A2 for a few months on my 250 Superdream as it was a little project of mine. I like it for a quick blast round town but that's about it at the moment as I'm letting my old man use it.

I'm 6"2' and I'm trying to get a bigger bike, I like the race bike feeling. I've ridden an SV650 and I'm used to the weight and power of a big bike from swapping and riding around on friends bikes. But I'd like something bigger myself.

I'm currently torn between a Bandit 600 and a Fazer 600. I was going to go for the FZR but it seems too problematic. So! I need some brains on the table!

Who prefers what, how do each compare to each other and such. As I couldn't find any proper discussion about them both. I'd love a race type bike for the twisties that throws down some power, I don't mind dropping a tooth at all. Money's a budget.

And if it was the Fazer, on an A2 you can ride 1998-2003. I heard the 2003 model had less performance but they look nice with a custom R6 bottom fairing. If I was to get either, I'd have a little project on the go to make it look mean.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bandit or a Fazer isn't a 'race type' bike. They are ummm.... 'all rounders' is probably a reasonable description.

A Yammy R6, a Suzuki GSXR600 or a Triumph Daytona are you bog standard out of the box race bikes.

You need to decide which type you actually want first.

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:46 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
A bandit or a Fazer isn't a 'race type' bike. They are ummm.... 'all rounders' is probably a reasonable description.

A Yammy R6, a Suzuki GSXR600 or a Triumph Daytona are you bog standard out of the box race bikes.

Well I suppose I'd prefer them both to any of the 400 'race bikes' as they're too old now or expensive for me to buy into at the moment. I'd love to get one of those but I can't just yet.

I wouldn't mind a type of street fighter Fazer or something and drop some teeth on it to make it mean and quick. I'm into fine tuning a bike and making it the best it can perform from stripping it down. But I've seen Fazer's fly past down in my local area doing little races with VFR's of ZXR's. I'd love one of them but I like the aspect of performance. And I believe the Fazer would outperform any of the 400 sport bikes available.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levy Devy wrote:
Well I suppose I'd prefer them both to any of the 400 'race bikes' as they're too old now or expensive for me to buy into at the moment. I'd love to get one of those but I can't just yet.

I wouldn't mind a type of street fighter Fazer or something and drop some teeth on it to make it mean and quick. I'm into fine tuning a bike and making it the best it can perform from stripping it down. But I've seen Fazer's fly past down in my local area doing little races with VFR's of ZXR's. I'd love one of them but I like the aspect of performance. And I believe the Fazer would outperform any of the 400 sport bikes available.

Who mentioned '400s'? Not many around.

You need to sit on as many different bikes as possible (in bike shops or at bike meetings (with the owners permission!)) to see what fits you.
Some 'sportsbikes' will be uncomfortable whilst the sportstouring bikes will give you a bit more leg room.
The bottom line at the moment is that they'll all be a step up from any superdream (250 or 400).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:44 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Torn Between The Two Reply with quote

A2 means no R6, Gixxer or Daytona.

Levy Devy wrote:
I was going to go for the FZR but it seems too problematic.

If you do mean the faired FZR600 rather than the naked or half faired FZS600 then your problem is that there are very few of them around.

Levy Devy wrote:
I'd love a race type bike for the twisties that throws down some power

35kW of power, or 70kW of power? Be honest, nobody is judging.

Levy Devy wrote:
And if it was the Fazer, on an A2 you can ride 1998-2003. I heard the 2003 model had less performance but they look nice with a custom R6 bottom fairing.

Oh, you mean the FZS.

Yes, you are (according to the DVSA) OK to restrict/"restrict" a FZS600 (not an FZ6) for the A2 licence. When you're ready to do your A tests, you can do them on your own bike after "derestricting" it in the test centre car park (throttle stop, innit, geezer).

I rode a 15 year old 24,000 mile FZS600 last year that was cracking. Agile, great brakes, a peach of an engine - it felt more eager than a CBR600F up to the legal limit.

If you can find a good example in your budget, I can't think of any reason not to get one, especially if you're intending for your restrictors to 'fall out'.

If you're going to ride at 35kW then that brings the SV650S back into play for that bum-in-the-air "racebike feeling". Early ER6fs are coming up fairly cheaply now as well. I'd consider those instead if you're intending to ride legit, as they have less to lose from being restricted.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the ER6 to the SV650 personally but I think it might be cramped for a 6'2 rider. I sometimes get a bit cramped and I'm a good bit shorter.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was enjoying the 400 miles I did on my FZS600 before I discovered it was broken. Through my limited research people seemed to prefer it to the 'blandit'.

I can't think of a better 'bang for buck' A2 'restricted' bike for the money.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levy Devy wrote:
And I believe the Fazer would outperform any of the 400 sport bikes available.

Define "outperform"...

My definition of "performance" includes going fast around corners, which generally means an aluminium frame is required along with cartridge forks. The Fazer has a wibbly wobbly steel frame which means it's not a great machine for high end riding.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you even talking about 400cc sports bikes?

1. They are all old now. Probably had more abuse that a Rotherham schoolgirl.

2. They are small. Tiny small.

3. They still have to be restricted (legally). I would think that would kill them.

My view on restriction is that if you are going to be legal, get a bike that needs no, or very little restriction. It will be a much better experience than something that has been strangled.

The same applies to women Thumbs Up

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:26 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levy Devy wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I think you should wait a few years and grow up a bit, that's the quick way to a statistic, if you want to race, go to a track, in your scenario I bet the bigger bikes weren't even 'racing' probably.

As for the Fazer vs a 400 sportbike, depends who is riding them.

If you want to race, join a club, get. Start in an amateur series, get a job with a race team, if your quick they'll let you ride, but save racing for the track mate, that way you'll live long enough to have grandchildren to tell stores too.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
My view on restriction is that if you are going to be legal, get a bike that needs no, or very little restriction. It will be a much better experience than something that has been strangled.

In my experience, many women could really benefit from being strangled... Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:09 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choked, throttled.

Maybe tickled if you're an old fashioned sort.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

In my experience, many women could really benefit from being strangled... Wink

You know you have now set off multitudes of alarms in GCHQ with your misogyny. Expect your back door to be smashed in shortly Laughing

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
You know you have now set off multitudes of alarms in GCHQ with your misogyny.
Expect your back door to be smashed in shortly Laughing

They aren't all 'public school' boys are they? Crying or Very sad
I don't want my back door smashed....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1