Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pushing your bike on pavements

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:44 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Pushing your bike on pavements Reply with quote

Hi, I've recently completed my CBT and as someone who's used to going anywhere with a bicycle it'll be a shame to lose that advantage with a motorcycle. For example, the road ahead of me is blocked but there's a street pavement/plaza/alley which connects to a better road. Would it be a motoring offence if I got off my bike and walked it to the other road?

From what I've seen so far, my impression is that with the exception of some jobsworths most police officers would be fine with it as long as:

You're walking alongside the bike rather than 'scooting' on it.
The engine is switched off.
The bike is taxed and insured (though that would be normal anyway)
You use some common sense, like not obstructing doorways etc

What are your thoughts/experiences on it?

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically illegal to push it on public footpath unless accessing property.

However they would have to have a personal vendetta against you to actually stop you for it, unless you look like a pikey with a nicked crosser.

EDIT: I'm an ill-informed idiot Smile

Last edited by DRZ4Hunned on 11:18 - 02 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:17 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, herro.

DRZ4Hunned wrote:

And what offence are you committing? Can you find one that doesn't feature the words "driving" or "riding"?

Get off it. Selby (Justin) v Director of Public Prosecutions: QBD 1994 held that "riding is being carried out if a person is being carried on a motor cycle as it moves on its wheels, whether propelled by the engine, by his feet or by gravity."

Pushing a bike on a pavement, footway or footpath is absolutely fine, whether it forms part of a road or otherwise.

I regularly push bikes along the pavement against the direction of a one-way road and then across the carriageway to bypass a no-entry sign, and have done so with Dibble passing with no worries at all. You do not have to wear a helmet when doing so, which forms another clear distinction between "propelling it on foot" and riding/driving.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 09:32 - 02 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:31 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on foot, you're a pedestrian. If you're on the bike, you're a motorist. Do fully get off and push though.

The bike needs to be road legal in either case because the footway is still part of the "Highway".

I too have got off and pushed the bike through bus-only cut-throughs, no left turns, bollards etc. Occasionally even traffic lights I know take ages to cycle through. It's one place a step-through really comes into its own.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses!

DRZ4Hunned wrote:

There was that one article on MCN where someone was stopped for the crime of having some pavement between the road and his garden. Not surprisingly, he didn't recieve any points or a fine.

Rogerborg wrote:
You do not have to wear a helmet when doing so, which forms another clear distinction between "propelling it on foot" and riding/driving.

That is odd why people would think you'd legally require a helmet when walking. Part of the reason why we turn the engine off is because pedestrians don't require full-face motorcycle helmets anymore than they'd require a 600cc engine.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:40 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
There was that one article on MCN where someone was stopped for the crime of having some pavement between the road and his garden.

[Rider] Nick Morris branded 'neighbourhood inspector Colin Salmon ' "a complete moron". Thumbs Up

Another copper who doesn't know the law that he's responsible for enforcing. Sad times.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:31 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rang the local bobby because I was pushing a bike to an MOT centre (no tax, no insurance, no MOT) and didn't want to get it taken off me.
He said that so long as the keys weren't in the ignition and I was walking alongside it, I couldn't be classed as being in control of the vehicle.
He also recommended that I cover the number plate so it wasn't picked up by passing checkers.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:

He said .

Not sure that would constitute a legal defence.

I'm sure Roger will quote the relevant legislation around SORN (not so relevant to pre-booked MOT but still) and CIE laws. It would be interesting to see whether it's 'being used on the road' - I can imagine a passing copper being interested enough to concoct a law you've contravened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:31 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SORN satisfies the continuous insurance requirements, and is irrelevant to using it on a road. VED isn't required on the way to or from a pre-booked MOT.

The issue is insurance, and you'd have rely on arguing that you're not using it as a "motor" vehicle. stinkwheel's magistrate / sheriff chum suggested that (belatedly) as a defence to continuous insurance for a bike that was in bits.

Covering plates is flat out an offence, no exceptions, anywhere, anywhen. Note "vehicle", not "motor vehicle"; and no reference to use or location - it's technically an offence not display one even when it's locked up on private property.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 13:08 - 03 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The copper that helped me push mine up a rather steep hill (I live on top of said hill) when my clutch cable snapped last year didn't see any issue with it. Emphasis on push, not ride.

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard practice in my neighbourhood is pause, look around thoroughly to see if anyone's looking, look again, and nip across whichever cut-through you're on. Except for pizza boys, who don't bother with the paranoid looking round.

Actually spotting a copper is an occasional random biker bonding treat, as everyone loves a good grumble about having to get off and push for a change. (And the coppers always look like they wouldn't care less anyway, as they're normally busy searching or disarming someone - but that's Peckham for you.)

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

6r4h4m wrote:
. Actually spotting a copper is an occasional random biker bonding treat,

Imagine my surprise recently...

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd192/croptonboy/IMG_4909_zpsjzmj08iw.jpg

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic, I once got lost in Hertford, I could see the place I was looking for at the end of a pedestrianised street. Lots of police about since it was ChuckingOutandPunchUp o'clock, so I asked Plod the way, he said ignore the signs and ride down the pedestrianised bit. Goes to show they're not all jobsworths.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:24 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
he said ignore the signs and ride down the pedestrianised bit. Goes to show they're not all jobsworths.

As it turns out, coppers can't actually create or obviate laws at will, so you're lucky you didn't run into one at the other end.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Andy_Pagin wrote:
he said ignore the signs and ride down the pedestrianised bit. Goes to show they're not all jobsworths.

As it turns out, coppers can't actually create or obviate laws at will, so you're lucky you didn't run into one at the other end.

I was thinking the same, could have been a sting. Guess his mate at the other end was busy

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
6r4h4m wrote:
. Actually spotting a copper is an occasional random biker bonding treat,

Imagine my surprise recently...

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd192/croptonboy/IMG_4909_zpsjzmj08iw.jpg

Somewhere in the middle of all that is a 12-pack of Krispy Kremes

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

Fizzoid wrote:

Somewhere in the middle of all that is a 12-pack of Krispy Kremes

...and a soggy biscuit, judging by where their hands are.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
I was thinking the same, could have been a sting. Guess his mate at the other end was busy
Well as I said, it was ChuckingOutandPunchUp o'clock

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a quite relevant question, not necessarily on topic. Do you need a motorcycle riding licence to push a motorcycle on the public/open road? In the Land of Beer, if the displacement of your motorcycle's engine exceeds 49ccm, then you have to have a proper licence to push it around.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:10 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see why. The UK only requires a licence to "drive on a road", and pushing is not driving.

Aside, "road", but not a public place, so technically you can drive around in a car park without a licence. However, insurance is required to "use a motor vehicle on a road or other public place". Bit of consistency would be nice.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I can't see why. The UK only requires a licence to "drive on a road", and pushing is not driving.

Aside, "road", but not a public place, so technically you can drive around in a car park without a licence. However, insurance is required to "use a motor vehicle on a road or other public place". Bit of consistency would be nice.

Just thinking out loud... But would pushing be classed as "using a motor vehicle" in the case of your insurance example...?

Can you get insurance without a license?

Ipso-facto... Would you indeed require a license to push it in a public place? Question

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Just thinking out loud... But would pushing be classed as "using a motor vehicle" in the case of your insurance example...?

Can you get insurance without a license?

Ipso-facto... Would you indeed require a license to push it in a public place? Question

You can get insured as a learner, so you could in theory if you had permission and insurance do Mod 1 practice in Tesco car park. I've pondered the same question, as I ride up an 'emergency access road', I've often wondered if I were to get stopped what the situation would be.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are these "emergency access roads" you speak of...?

Am I missing a trick here? Smile

I use this occasionally when coming off the M6 around stoke, are you talking about the same thing?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.1385437,-2.3353762,3a,75y,163.07h,84.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBhg0ZpYrINHpOu0TYE3XZQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
But would pushing be classed as "using a motor vehicle" in the case of your insurance example...?

Considering an appeal court has just ruled that disconnecting a car's battery, pushing it over on its side and welding the floorpan of a motor vehicle is 'entirely commonplace and qualifies as use' - anything is just about possible these days.

The legislation needs a rainpal.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Considering an appeal court has just ruled that disconnecting a car's battery, pushing it over on its side and welding the floorpan of a motor vehicle is 'entirely commonplace and qualifies as use'

Wow.

So, if I lean on a car whilst walking home drunk - I am technically "using" a motor vehicle whilst under the influence...? Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2