Apple Repair semi-rant.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
I still remember what Apple did for 'sync' when ActiveSync first surfaced on them. Yes Apple, what i'd love you to do is 'sync' your 0 contacts database over the 356 contacts i had in Exchange, effectively wiping out ALL the data.

Blackberry / Android always understood what SYNC was meant to do.

Slightly different but I had issues with my current android phone and contacts (with third-party apps). I installed whatsapp and it decided to duplicate all of my contacts. I installed outlook and it decided to create phone contacts for everyone in my (email) address book, over two accounts, some of these were random names with no addresses. It did this twice until I stopped it from modifying my contacts (although it's since changed that back by itself Rolling Eyes).

It's been better since marshmellow but I still have the occasional permission issue, whatsapp decided it didn't want to have access to my contacts the other day (and blocked all messages).

mpd72 wrote:
I have no idea

I've done it many times as well, I'm saying it doesn't always go smoothly and when it doesn't you lose data. I'd much rather be able to manually backup important stuff, but you haven't been able to since iOS 8.3.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried Android a couple of times.
And blackberry through a period of about 4/5 years.

Always end up back at apple - much to my dismay.

Id love to be able to use the android system and have all that control and not be locked down to things that Apple decree.

But the tradeoff is I never have any issues, back ups are easy, had issues with 2 iphones (wifi chip blowing up on one and water damage on the other) and just did a backup / restore onto the new handset and didnt lose anything.

Each to their own, but I prefer the ease of use on the iclones. (But as I said - I wish I didn't).

Penny Coin Penny Coin

edit: I wish even more so now that I've seen the S8... Might be time to try android again...

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:29 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have never had a problem with backup on iphones and I have only once lost data but that was my fault and back in the day when I was repeatedly jail breaking the thing to get the missing features I needed. But saying that, I have not needed to Jailbreak for about 3 years as apple after a few false starts got everything I needed in there.

I keep trying android phones. I have 2 nexuses but they fall short on usability for me. The apps on the Apps store always seem more polished and as others have mentioned I do have investment in the Apple Eco system.

I have never smashed a screen on an iphone, the wife has gone through a couple over the years but tbh she would have broken any phone.

Apple have replaced two phones for me out of warranty, one for a dodgy power button and one whose battery was draining too fast. Their customer service has always been very good for me! I all ways go to the store though as it just round the corner rather than through a carrier.

The way the costs seem to be going though I can see the new iphone reaching £1000 for the non phablet version.

And dont get me started on the Mac book Pro....

Last edited by natefz6 on 13:36 - 03 May 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
I too have never had a problem with backup on iphones and I have only once lost data but that was my fault and back in the day when I was repeatedly jail breaking the thing to get the missing features I needed. But saying that, I have not needed to Jailbreak for about 3 years as apple after a few false starts got everything I needed in there.

I keep trying android phones. I have 2 nexuses but they fall short on usability for me. The apps on the Apps store always seem more polished and as others have mentioned I do have investment in the Apple Eco system.

I have never smashed a screen on an iphone, the wife has gone through a couple over the years but tbh she would have broken any phone.

Apple have replaced two phones for me out of warranty, one for a dodgy power button and one whose battery was draining too fast. Their customer service has always been very good for me! I all ways go to the store though as it just round the corner rather than through a carrier.

I'm yet to have a Samsung repaired, ever.
I'd like to see a survey on how many Samsung owners have had to repair a screen or anything else, warranty based or not.

It's no point doing a apple based one, we all know how shocking they are.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:40 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

I'd like to see a survey on how many Samsung owners have had to repair a screen or anything else, warranty based or not.

Samsung recall anyone Smile

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:

That was one model, and hardly a popular one...

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
Pjay wrote:

Nothing to see here, move along now!

https://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/160902121639-samsung-galaxy-note-7-fire-front-780x439.jpg

Although I'm sure they Samsung fanboys will claim it was the Mac overheating that caused this one Razz

https://cdn.cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/160927142551-samsung-note-7-fire-1-780x439-780x439.jpg

Pjay wrote:
hardly a popular one...

Can't put my finger on why...

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:

We can all find individual cases if we look. I'm taking about the chances of you needing a repair as an end user.

Google picture search for exploding Iphone, there's thousands for you to look at.]

iphones are notorius for the screens braking, there are always posts in my local Facebook selling sites of people needing an Iphone repaired and I'm not even sure I've seen one for a Samsung yet.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Can't put my finger on why...

Because it's the note 7, it was never going to be a huge seller, it was a niche device, now stop baiting.

Or do you actually think the Note 7 was desitined to be their flagship model?

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

iphones are notorius for the screens braking, there are always posts in my local Facebook selling sites of people needing an Iphone repaired and I'm not even sure I've seen one for a Samsung yet.

Commuting, I see plenty of iPhones with broken screens, but I've also seen plenty of Samsungs with broken screens as well.

I suspect due to more iPhones being in circulation, more are going to end up broken. I'm not defending iPhones, but Samsungs certainly aren't infallible either

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
I suspect due to more iPhones being in circulation, more are going to end up broken. I'm not defending iPhones, but Samsungs certainly aren't infallible either

Well Samsung sell more phones than Apple, so I'm not sure that's the case.

I'm not saying that Samsung phones are unbreakable or perfect, but in my experience and of those I know, Samsung phones are much less likely to see a repair in their usable life.

I'd just like to see a proper survey done.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Because it's the note 7, it was never going to be a huge seller, it was a niche device, now stop baiting.

Or do you actually think the Note 7 was desitined to be their flagship model?

Samsung themselves claimed that it affected 1.9m phones in the US alone.

No, it was never going to be their flagship model, but just because it wasn't popular here doesn't mean it was a worldwide failure either, the Note was very popular in the US and Asia

Baiting? Stop being so blinkered!

Pjay wrote:
Well Samsung sell more phones than Apple, so I'm not sure that's the case.

Certainly the newer Samsungs have outsold iPhones, but there are still a lot of older iPhones out there. I believe stats back in early 2016 showed just how popular the iPhone 5 models were, which is probably why they released the SE

Last edited by Fizzoid on 14:15 - 03 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://zdnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2016/05/12/b5ea6854-236f-4507-a61d-da9bf47aceee/resize/770xauto/a088fe321d7bc4cef1ec10d919a85926/2016-05-1210-50-33.jpg
https://cdn.bgr.com/2016/08/screen-shot-2016-08-24-at-3-44-55-pm.png

The 43% failure rate is not of the devices, but based on manufacturer.
Samsung is by far the biggest manufacturer so they obviously would have more fails in the android market.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the sample size used in that data?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

They used the warranty repair and total sales data.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:51 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange how different news sites report in different ways...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/android-smartphones-suffer-from-significantly-higher-failure-rates-than-iphones/

Anyway Samsung do make very good phones as do Apple for me they are both aesthetically pleasing and reliable. Iphones have had there problems of late with battery replacement recalls and the like, but in my experience these are handled pretty well and painless which for me is the important bit.

I understand OP has had problems with them this time and if I was him I would either chalk it up to piss poor fault handling or kick up a fuss and try to get a discount for them messing me around.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
I have not needed to Jailbreak for about 3 years as apple after a few false starts got everything I needed in there.

M.C wrote:
go backup some app data... I'll wait.

I'm the opposite, only started needing to jailbreak more recent devices, and the way things are going it looks like that might not be possible anymore (iOS 10 jailbreak's still in beta Sad).

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
arry wrote:

They used the warranty repair and total sales data.

That doesn't answer the question, nor does it actually provide any useful information.

The graphs shown are representing an unspecified sample size, sampled over users of an analytics application provided by SmartChk, a division of a company called Blancco.

Link to PDF (should live for ~30 days): https://ufile.io/56h9f

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Going wrote:

I hope they installed all your apps, music, photos, videos and other data on it to.

I borrowed a spare 6 plus, backed up my data, transferred it to the loan phone, then transferred back when the new phone arrived.

That's one thing I like about Iphones, they are easy to shift everything from device to device.

Then you should like other phones too - I got the S8+ a couple of weeks ago, transferring from my S6 was seamless and extremely quick. No wires involved.

As for the hardware, someone at work has a new [big] iPhone 7 (Plus?) - it looks _so_ old fashioned next to the S8+, someone said that it was like comparing an old CRT TV to a modern flatscreen, which is a pretty good analogy.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the newer phone looks newer than the older phone, funny how that works! Smile

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:28 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last phone was a Samsung Galaxy S6, My current phone is an Iphone 7.

Liked both of them.

Have had no major problems with either of them - The Iphone has been more stable than the Samsung was.

Would consider a galaxy S8 as my next phone.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:22 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with the S6 is I want it rooted and a custom firmware but don't want to lose features.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:13 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
My problem with the S6 is I want it rooted and a custom firmware but don't want to lose features.

The problem with my friends S6's that after a couple of weeks the home button's faulty so it needs to be replaced. Pass the popcorn

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an iPhone 3G around 2009, then a 4S in 2012, followed by a refurbed 6 plus about 2 years ago. My work phone was a 5, but has been replaced this year by an SE.

None of these have broken - have I just had faulty units?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 09:23 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my iphones had something go wrong with them. Conversely to their PC counter parts it is far cheaper and easier to repair iPhones than Android.

Apple wanted £160 to replace the camera in my 5s. The part cost me less than £5 and it took 10 minutes to do.

Last edited by chris-red on 16:13 - 06 May 2017; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3