Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Biking down under - Brisbane.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:25 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Biking down under - Brisbane. Reply with quote

I managed to score a work trip to Brisbane and figured I'd try and get some miles in while I'm here. I knew I'd have at least one day off, possibly two, so before setting off I was eyeing up bike rental places locally. I stumbled upon a company called rent this bike, they don't have the greatest range of bikes, but two wheels is better than no wheels, right?

Brisbane it seems has a huge biking scene, it's hard to go 5 minutes without seeing a bike go past from the balcony of the place I'm staying in. A real mix too, tons of cruisers, but also masses of off-roaders, superbikes, tall-rounders, nakeds. It's a great change to the hum-drum of London where it seems at least half of all two wheelers are scooter-commuters - scooters are not quite a rarity here, but certainly less than 10% of all bikes in my experience. There also seems to be very little in the way of small bikes here - nothing Chinese, virtually nothing under 250cc.

Given the amount of bikes about, I figured I'd have no problem in getting some recommendations of riding routes at the place I'm working, but I really underestimated what it would be like. From the pretty young girls in their 20's, to the stereotypical biker blokes in their mid 30's-40's, to the born again bikers in their mid 50's everybody had a suggestion of where to ride - and by and large they all said the same thing - "Mount Nebo, Mount Glorious, Mount Mee".

When I thought of Australia before coming here I had figured big, flat, dry, maybe some nice sea views. The word Mount hadn't even occurred to me. I was in for one of the biggest surprises of my biking life.

I didn't know which day I'd be off, so I left booking a bike until the very last minute. Despite the reasonably limited range of bikes on the website, a couple stood out - namely the MT07 (in some way restricted to meet local learner regs), and a BMW S1000r. Alas I booked too late and ended up with this:

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0365_zps4xuryszh.jpg

Yup, that's a sportster 883. I've never ridden a harley before, I had little idea what to expect, well, nothing but years of BCF banter and stereotypes! It was pretty cheap at $110, or about £80 after bank charges, it had two wheels, an engine, brakes, and square as fuck tyres. It wasn't what I'd imagined renting, or ever even riding, but given the options - it'd do!

The above picture was taken about 10 miles into my ride, at the last petrol station before the twisties. There were half a dozen bikes filling up, more parked up, and more passing the station all the time. I took the opportunity to quiz a guy with a big-bang R1 on which roads he'd suggest - he echo'd the majority - though did look a bit questioningly at my choice of bike - I half suspect he may have offered to let me tag along with him and his group had I been on something with even an inkling of sporting pedigree about it.

About a mile further up the road was a very large bold red sign warning of the dangerous nature of the following road - I don't remember the exact wording, but to me it may as well have said "the next 50km has sweeping bends, well cambered corners, decent road surface and breathtaking views - try to keep your wits about you"

If the roads are missing one thing, it's safe/convenient stopping places - I took a few pictures which I've popped in below, but nothing could really show the variety and quality of the roads. I've ridden a few renowned "must-ride" roads and areas, the cat'n'fiddle (A537?), the B500, the Ardennes to name but a few, the thing that struck me about this ride was the sheer variety. One moment I was scraping the pegs (more on that in a moment) through tight, technical, properly cambered corners, the next I was descending down a fairly steep hill with long sweeping bends, the tell tale tyre tracks showing this is drift-car territory.

I found the odd place to nip off of the main road and take a peak down some dirt tracks too, the views were gorgeous, I kept having to remind myself that I had reasonably limited time, and many more miles to cover!

The changing geography was really unexpected too, I rode through genuine rain forest, big open plains, down through the bottom of valleys, through typical European style forests, up steep inclines, and down the other side. One thing that really struck me was the smell of the local vegetation - it's really like nothing European, which might seem obvious, but in reality was far more noticeable than you'd imagine - the closest comparison I can think of is the smell of growing cannabis - very fruity and pungent. I'm not sure what plant caused it, but it came on strongly through the rainforesty bits - I honestly thought I was following a drug dealer car the first time.

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/IMG-20170501-WA0006_zpsks2cmeix.jpeg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0366_zpsduowvxac.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0368_zps420bgtda.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0370_zpsmq5s16wv.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0372_zpslvkmadfl.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0376_zpsujp9dcsm.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0375_zpstblw2zdt.jpg I doubt many people have crossed a ford on a harley Laughing

I spotted a few unusual birds, the easiest to picture were a pair of huge eagles or something - massive gliding birds circling in the heat - the picture doesn't do them justice - I reckon they were 2 meters tip to tip:

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0378_zpsbzsberfz.jpg

Between mount glorious and mount mee I stopped at a little old one-pump service station, there was a guy in his mid teens sitting on a chair out front, eating a spring roll of all things. He seemed impressed by the bike and when I talked to him he seemed genuinely thrilled, I'm guessing the usual Harley crowd don't do much chit-chat around here! I was doing well for time so asked him for directions to the coast, it looked quite close on the map, and everything being measured in Km's here fooled me - my short ride was about a 3 hour detour!

I found the stereotype I expected for Aus, long golden beaches, I also found a little island where they'll build you a brand new house, with a jetty onto a marina - all for less than $400,000(that's less than £250,000) including the land and taxes - all within commuting distance of Brisbane! Not only that but they pay the equivalent of £12k a year more for my equivalent job out here - food for thinkin' on!

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0381_zpsrp1amhrp.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/Screenshot_20170501-180000_zpsb7t1arfo.png

With that little detour done I turned around and started heading back, I had about 100 miles ahead of me still, and about 2 and a bit hours until it got dark - challenge accepted!

As for the bike - well - suffice to say that every harley stereotype is correct. I could deal with the handling but more frustratingly it was gutless, just when it felt like it was starting to accelerate it would plough into the redline, and changing up dropped it right out of the power. I missed a few overtaking opportunities because I couldn't get up to speed quick enough.

To be fair to the bike I wasn't really using it for it's intended purpose - but then, for an all day cruiser, it hurt my arse, my knees, my back, and my hips. For posing I guess it did ok, it's the only bike I've ridden where I've come back to it to find a lady taking pictures. If middle age non-biker chicks is your thing, maybe this is the bike for you Razz

Back at work the next day and I must have had a dozen different people ask me how my ride was, all genuinely keen to hear what I thought and how my day was. Once chap in particular lives on one of the mountains and commutes down them every day - we had a really great conversation about all of the local riding roads. He's been to the UK and ridden many of our best including lots of Scotland. The very next day he brought me in a pair of books - one is a map of all of Australia, the other is a riding guide with great descriptions of different routes.

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0382_zpskc0ebnli.jpg

I'm here until Saturday night and am hoping to get another day or two riding in if I can - so much to see and I'm unlikely to be back here any time soon.

Fingers crossed I can get a decent bike for the next leg - I'll update the thread when I do!

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:23 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thumbs Up

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative...you b'stard. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Biking down under - Brisbane. Reply with quote

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:

As for the bike - well - suffice to say that every harley stereotype is correct. I could deal with the handling but more frustratingly it was gutless, just when it felt like it was starting to accelerate it would plough into the redline, and changing up dropped it right out of the power. I missed a few overtaking opportunities because I couldn't get up to speed quick enough.

Test rode one to see what was what. It had been EU'd into almost complete silence, no ground clearance, scraped
pegs twice on test ride and wasn't trying hard to do so. It was dire. The 'redline' is 5500 rpm so don't feel too bad about that.
At least you got to ride it somewhere nice. Lovely pics.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never actually did go back to the peg scraping part, but you're right, the ground clearance was scarily awful.

I was following an old rs125 for a bit, being a bit of a prat and trying to keep up with the locals. I decked the pegs properly on a left-right heavily cambered pair of corners, enough to knock my confidence a little for the rest of the day (and to let the rs go!).

When I stopped for lunch I had a look and realised that the hero-blobs on the pegs must be getting on for two inches on either side. No wonder it bloody decks out all of the time, but then the exhaust looks dangerously low too in that regard, and at least the pegs fold.

Better not to try and ride it like a sportsbike I found.

Then again, towards the end of the day, on my way over mount mee back from the coast, I got I between a pair of blokes in quick cars - one in a skyline and one in a Lotus 7. The Harley was horribly ill equiped to be playing with that sort of car, but the guy in the Lotus 7 had a really good chuckle at my antics when we eventually hit some traffic lights, so at least I gave somebody a smile Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooled you out on karma which is a big push for me when there's a Harley involved, and writing this ditty bollocks to subscribe to thread for Round 2, ding ding. You cool bastard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool sir. Stunning scenery. Thumbs Up

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:27 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool as fuck

Spent 18mths living in brissie and working around the surrounding area, your pics bring back some good memories!

I'm strangely attracted to the iron 883, everyone says it's shit and yet I still want one...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:

I'm strangely attracted to the iron 883, everyone says it's shit and yet I still want one...

Go ride one and then ride an MT03 and MARVEL at how little the yanks can get out of a 900cc engine whist cunningly
combining the almost dangerous lack of pace with the manoeuvrability of a large ship. Truly truly awful. Like a super heavy 125.

I did like the indicators and the keyless start though so not all bad.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:32 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0383_zpsmxkxa5kp.jpg

Tomorrow awaits!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:33 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's better!!! Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have some more cool.

Yeah spank that Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did the place supply kit with the bike/s or did you take some with you?

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They supplied for a token price, $5 for the helmet, $3 for the gloves, $10 for the jacket. I'm dead impressed at the gear too, it's all clean, none of it smells, they said they replace the helmets three times a year, and I can believe it looking at them.

The ticket price for the lot was $159 for the S1000r, $18 for the gear, and I opted to pay $25 to reduce my excess by 50%.

Then I got 15% off the lot as it's my second booking in 60 days.

So $178, or £102 (not including bank charges) - for unlimited mileage for 24 hours on a completely top spec S1000r.

Bargain!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:

Looking forward to the next report!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be warned, teff length post below - prepare to waste a good while reading!

Holy shit, what a day. I left "home" at about 7:30ish this morning, and dropped the bike back to the rental place at 6pm. I covered a tad under 500km!

My route was something like this (start at orange, end at yellow):

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/S1000%20route_zpsqyfm91sf.png

I was a bit disappointed at my photo haul on the first day, so made more of an effort this time around, I took 70 in total!

I can't believe how quiet the roads are around here during the week - they were quiet on Monday with the harley, but today was something else entirely. I honestly think I saw less cars in my entire days riding today then I'd pass on my daily commute in one direction. I kept stopping to take pictures, and wouldn't be passed by a single car. I even stopped at a viewing point for about 15 minutes and wasn't passed by a single vehicle in either direction!

I started my day off the same way as last time, those roads were simple too good not to go and do again on a decent bike.

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0384_zpsz3labf6c.jpg

Scuse the finger - I couldn't get rid of the glare any other way!
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0392_zps0eybiaew.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0391_zpslayscpij.jpg

I stopped about half an hour into my ride at a viewing point (the one I mentioned above) - the sun was still low in the sky which made for some truly breathtaking scenery. My phone doesn't do it much justice:

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0396_zpsrjvvjssp.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0397_zps2neqsncs.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0398_zpswcwcbd7l.jpg

I didn't realise how close I was to my first planned stop or I probably would have carried on, anyhow, 15 minutes later I was at the Mount Glorious cafe:

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0401_zpsb7my06av.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0400_zpstb7dyslm.jpg

There was another table of bikers just behind me, they were all local and had ridden up separately, but all seemed to know each other. I got the impression they were all retired and now spent their time riding the local mountains. Very jealous. I eaves dropped for a while as they complained about the local council screwing them over with taxes, the government making car ownership too expensive, the neighbours causing issues with overgrown trees. Same shit, different side of the planet Laughing.

I hadn't really planned much of a route, so at the opportune moment I interrupted their conversation and asked for some recommendations. They suggested Maleny (at the very north of the route I posted) and a particular road that runs through a place called Peachester.

As good a plan as any!

I continued to ride the rest of Mount Glorious, I got a picture of one of the rain forest bits:
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0402_zpsses4ebyd.jpg

And some general road/bike stuff:
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0403_zpsuneklo7b.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0404_zpsv8xeiphp.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0405_zpsj6cezqvg.jpg

The roads where the drifters have been playing look really cool, in a 16 year old boy sort of way. The were chained corners so there wasn't really a place to try and photo is safely, you can just about faintly see the beginnings of the tyre markings in this picture:
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0406_zpsicimm8q9.jpg

I stopped one last time on the mountain and had a little explore of a nature reserve bit, there was tons of long grass, then loose mud, then bushes. I kept worrying I was going to get bitten by a snake or spider or something. Bloody Australia! I could hear so much wildlife, crickets, frogs and birds for the most part, but with the exception of mozzies nothing was visible Sad

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0414_zpsos4plswz.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0410_zpskyclggtm.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0409_zpsbwautmdc.jpg

I didn't stop again for a few miles now, the roads continued to be roady, the trees tree-ee, the views viewy. Wasn't much to be gained by snapping a million pictures.

As you get to the end of the Mount Glorious road you find yourself at a large T junction, the tyre tracks would suggest that a sizeable proportion of cars do some sort of 180 skid, and head back the way they came. I turned right, following the same route I had on the harley, the roads really open up at this point but the surface is rippled from the regular pounding of huge agricultural trucks. It was all too tempting to open the bike up on the straight bits, but I only had to hit a bad ripple at 120 one time to not do it again!

As well as the roads opening up, the topography does too, gone are the mountains and trees, making way for stupendously big grassy plains. I stopped to grab a picture, they really are vast:

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0417_zpsoawx9f7e.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0418_zpsucfxmv9x.jpg

From this point there is a lot more water around, coming down the mountain you'd see the odd stream or creek, these obviously join into rivers which eventually flow to the reservoirs.

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0421_zps9iintlrh.jpg

I quite like this one:
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0424_zpsjimorjwc.jpg

The road gets much more interesting again as you approach the dam, but the surface keeps your speed in check.

I like a good dam:
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0427_zpswwjgsvvb.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0428_zpsbj2c9csj.jpg

On Monday the roads around here were heaving with pick up trucks towing boats, caravans, and jet ski's, all heading to the reservoir, it was too busy to get into the grounds last time, though I did manage to chat to a few bikers in the car park. This time it was virtually deserted - I'd been riding for about an hour and a half, so decided it was a nice place to stop for water and to check the maps.

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0432_zpswliovbqg.jpg

The next two could be stitched together as a 360:
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0433_zpscqs9ks8p.jpg
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0434_zps3e92bia4.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0439_zpsuu4xhzv2.jpg

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0440_zpsygwfqrc7.jpg

From here I carried on out to Woodford, I stopped for petrol at a BP, took a few pictures with an oddly placed tank:
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0442_zpsoddu3hjj.jpg
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0443_zpsg4lcfge6.jpg

Then started making my way up toward Maleny.

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0444_zpsmjaytrfq.jpg

Before my first trip when I was asking people for ride recommendations Maleny had come up a few times, so I was hopeful of a good ride.

I should mention now that after two full days on the road, my favourite bit of riding around Brisbane is Mount Glorious by quite some margin - but that is nearly 50km of fantastic roads. On the way to Maleny there is a section of road about 3km long that trumps any one section of Mount Glorious - very much short but sweet. It is a steep hill, with perfectly flowing 30-70mph corners. It suited the S1000r perfectly. Again it was a tricky one to photo due to lack of safe places - but you can see it on Google here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Peachester+QLD+4519/@-26.8363333,152.8175543,3a,60y,181.36h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgvzIDuW44Pb39_7mrqqbXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x6b9388f200e4aca1:0x502a35af3dead20!8m2!3d-26.85!4d152.883333

I rode that section 4 times in total!

I followed the loop around from Maleny back to woodford where I stopped at a cafe and had a really good steak sandwich - woodford is know locally for it's twice weekly livestock/cattle sales - they take their steak seriously!

Another biker pulled into the cafe on an S1000rr, he came and chatted to me. I had half a plan to head back over Mount Mee as I had done on Monday but it was only 1:30pm and I had the bike until 5pm - it seemed a waste to be heading home so early. I asked the guy where he'd head and he suggested I could probably make it out east to Hampton and back.

I didn't really apply much thought at this point, if you look on the map I posted at the top, the route he suggested was basically the entire blue and yellow dotted route. That's a very long way. It probably is possible to do it all in 3 and a half hours, if you know the route and don't care to look at the views or take pictures. For me though, it was pretty ambitious. Too ambitious as it turns out!

The roads were good as ever, the views just as eye catching:
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0451_zpshzggpsig.jpg
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0447_zpsnl9ke9he.jpg

But by the time I'd made it to hampton I had an hour and a half to do what was a 1h45 journey if done perfectly. I stopped for a quick rest in a sleepy old down that inexplicably had it's own information centre. Inside was a very pleasant octogenarian - I got the impression he hadn't had many requests for information today! He told me the best way back to Brisbane was the way I'd come, and that I was never going to make it back for 5pm. Thanks old chap.

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0458_zps5giv7vgp.jpg

I picked up the pace for the journey back, and also started dicking around a bit on some of the long straight bits. The bike is an animal, it tries to lift the front at the top of 4th gear and nearly 140mph. I need one in my life!

It turns out that 10 miles dicking around doing full bore 50-200kph acceleration and the like really isn't great for fuel consumption. Without realising it I had charged through almost the rest of the tank. I slowed right down and rode like a saint for a while, but it was too little too late. As I approached the Mount Glorious turn for the final leg of the journey, my reserve light came on. Fuck. I was back at the T junction (the one where the cars to 180 skids and head back the other way), I'd come from the left, no fuel that way. I'd been up and down Mount Glorious and the road to the right enough to know it was too far that way too. Bollocks!

I tried consulting the sat nav on my phone, but being in the arse end of nowhere it decided it couldn't locate a signal. Thanks.

With nothing else to do I figured I may as well head in the general direction of home, and turned into the mountain road. Might as well be having fun if I'm going to run out - right?

At the top of the mountain is a junction (where the orange and yellow dots split on my map), I'd never paid much attention to it as the mountain road goes straight on there. It just so happens that this afternoon, as I approached the junction a bloke in a pick up truck did too. The man was able to give me directions to a closer petrol station, 20kms down the road he was pulling out of.

I had no idea whether I had 20kms fuel left or not, but that was the only option, so I took it. Of course it was another incredible road, because why would it not be?

The rest of the story is a bit boring. I filled up. I went back to the rental place. I was an hour late but they were fine with it.

The bike got tucked up for the night:
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0459_zpsd5vfzuik.jpg

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0440_zpsygwfqrc7.jpg

Cool

Your sausage looks very skinny.
columnm This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Hovering over Spam button.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing more soul destroying than watching Cool threads get spammed. Ste for mod.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool as F***.

Good work on the right up! Karma

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note if anybody can do me a photoshop jobby on a picture could you drop me a PM please, my jacket rode in the one with me and the s1000 by the reservoir and it bugs me!

I didn't say much about the s1000 but it really was an amazing bike, I thought the brakes on my Fazer were good but the s1000 made the Fazer brakes feel like a 125!

It had electronically adjustable suspension which made an actual noticeable difference to the ride, though on the rutted bits of road even soft was quite harsh.

The riding modes were interesting. Didn't use rain much at all other than to see how much of an effect it had, it's still a 130bhp litre bike in rain mode, so still bloody quick. In road and Dynamic it was insane, I guess if you're more used to riding litre bikes then you might tell some difference between the pair, for me they were both just bonkers.

I still can't really get over how cheap it was. You'd pay as much for a day out in Thorpe Park (if you include getting there and eating), and spend most of your day queuing, some sections of the road I could only reasonably compare to a roller coaster, only it lasted all day and I only stopped when I wanted to.

Sadly I'm now back in London. It was 25 degrees in Brisbane, and that's pretty much as cold as it'll get now, maybe a few degrees more at a push. It's 10 degrees here and I ride a 20 year old Fazer through London ever day. Not quite the same! Neutral

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning photo's dude, sounds an awesome time!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2