Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike options, need some help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mattxd
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:40 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Bike options, need some help Reply with quote

I've seen so many bikes I don't know which one to get. Initially my thought was to get a sinnis apache supermoto which has a value of around £1500 new possibly £900 used. Insurance also low so win win for me. The options I'm considering is a Yamaha xt125, sinnis apache, pulse adrenaline, and as for performance/street bikes a Yamaha r125 which looks fucking sexy but expensive for me ATM.

I want a cheap bike that would give cheap insurance but still run nicely.
considering either a supermoto or a commuter/street bike.

Any suggestions I could check out?

Also, since it's 125cc wouldn't it be cheaper for me to get a simple scooter. I don't know if it's worth the switch from a supermoto I could fuck around on to a boring shitty scooter that only like every college kid rides on.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:58 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattxd wrote:
I've posted one thread here before and was seriously astonished due to how much help I had received including a whole essay from a guy called Tef who gave me the real picture of how it would play out.

Madre de Dios. Pale

Have you done your CBT?

Have you budgeted for your gear and security? All the bikes you're looking at are pikey magnets.

Have you done comparative quotes on them? My experience was that Chinese branded 125s were surprisingly expensive to insure.

How much does that actually leave you, in real actual coin of the realm?

I know you just want to get a bike now-now-now, so the answer is: a 3 year old YBR125 with a fresh MOT.

Since that's not what you want to hear, a good condition used Sinnis Apache is not an insane idea. Don't accept any excuses about "easy fixes" or "will fly through an MOT". Get one that's got at least a year to go until its next MOT and which is needing nothing done to it. Cross your fingers and enjoy.

Mattxd
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:21 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you done your CBT?

Have you budgeted for your gear and security? All the bikes you're looking at are pikey magnets.

Have you done comparative quotes on them? My experience was that Chinese branded 125s were surprisingly expensive to insure.

How much does that actually leave you, in real actual coin of the realm?

I know you just want to get a bike now-now-now, so the answer is: a 3 year old YBR125 with a fresh MOT.

Since that's not what you want to hear, a good condition used Sinnis Apache is not an insane idea. Don't accept any excuses about "easy fixes" or "will fly through an MOT". Get one that's got at least a year to go until its next MOT and which is needing nothing done to it. Cross your fingers and enjoy.

Thanks for the reply but no I have not done my cbt but will do in like 2 months. I'm planning on getting car licence sorted, using mates cars to get around while I save up more cash but get cbt directly after passing car licence.

I've checked insurance, managed to get sinnis for around 1400 annual with third party fire and theft excess of £100 but that's with good security shit worth around £125 for like one chain. Will double check later though when I got time and do some research into locks and which brands lower more.

For now I just want some suggestions I can look at and compare quotes with. In reality I have £2700 for licences, bikes, tax, insurance, locks, etc already in the bank.

What do I look out for too, in terms of when looking for bikes to buy? Like how am I meant to know if the mileage is decent for the year or if it's worth buying?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:19 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattxd wrote:
no I have not done my cbt but will do in like 2 months.

Have a fish.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Plonk.png

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

General rules:
-don't buy Chinese, it will break.
-don't buy anything that looks like it can go off-road or it will be stolen.
-don't buy a 125 in a dress that wants to be an R1, they cost a fortune.

If you want something cheap, you most likely won't find something pretty. I'm sure Tef will be here in moments with a customised 15,000 introduction to the joys of a Honda CG125 complete with several stories of wistful youth, chases from the police and many days/ponds saved.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattxd wrote:
I have not done my cbt but will do in like 2 months. I'm planning on getting car licence sorted, using mates cars to get around while I save up more cash but get cbt directly after passing car licence.

So maybe 2 months, maybe longer...

Gives you plenty of time to have a look around and get insurance quotes on what bikes you like, to give you some idea.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattxd wrote:
I've checked insurance, managed to get sinnis for around 1400 annual with third party fire and theft excess of £100 but that's with good security shit worth around £125 for like one chain. Will double check later though when I got time and do some research into locks and which brands lower more.

Managed? Shocked That's a fortune for a 125, go TPO and buy a new bike if it gets stolen. BCF says don't declare security.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattxd wrote:
I've checked insurance, managed to get sinnis for around 1400

Bikes that get stolen a lot (the one's you're looking at) will really hurt you on insurance.

YBR125, deal with it until you can get an A2 license. Reckon you won't be far off taking your quote down by the purchase price of a 3-5yr old YBR. Run some numbers in an incognito window in your browser.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

This! Thumbs Up Idea Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness my mate has a Sinnis and apart from one problem when it was brand new (fixed under warranty) it's been perfectly reliable. More so than my KTM!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Mattxd wrote:
I've checked insurance, managed to get sinnis for around 1400

Bikes that get stolen a lot (the one's you're looking at) will really hurt you on insurance.

YBR125, deal with it until you can get an A2 license. Reckon you won't be far off taking your quote down by the purchase price of a 3-5yr old YBR. Run some numbers in an incognito window in your browser.

I'm willing to be proved wrong but I don't think there will be a serious loading on a Sinnis. I don't think my XR was anymore expensive to insure over a CG (even though I did get stopped a lot on it).

Edit: there will on Chinese bikes no ones heard of. A guy I knew bought a cheap chinese moped, then spent £700 insuring it as only a couple of insurers would touch it.

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:29 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I'm willing to be proved wrong but I don't think there will be a serious loading on a Sinnis. I don't think my XR was anymore expensive to insure over a CG (even though I did get stopped a lot on it).

Edit: there will on Chinese bikes no ones heard of. A guy I knew bought a cheap chinese moped, then spent £700 insuring it as only a couple of insurers would touch it.

Anything with difficult parts availability will be expensive - accidents mean long wait (with hire bike) for parts or write off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:24 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattxd wrote:

Thanks for the reply but no I have not done my cbt but will do in like 2 months. I'm planning on getting car licence sorted, using mates cars to get around while I save up more cash but get cbt directly after passing car licence.

As you've probably guessed with the fish - you're just window licking looking at specific bikes before you've even done your CBT. You change your mind a lot before licencing so don't think too deep, pay £120 and get your CBT in a day, done. Why wait to get a full car licence?

Mattxd wrote:

That is expensive! Too expensive! And do not declare any security because if it ever gets nicked and you didn't have EXACTLY what you stated on your policy, they won't give you a dime, maybe a fish.

Mattxd wrote:

For now I just want some suggestions I can look at and compare quotes with.

Why? Insurance prices change every single day (hour?). The quote you get now might be half of what you get in 2 months time - or double. Don't bother, only check when you're in a position to buy.

Mattxd wrote:

What do I look out for too, in terms of when looking for bikes to buy? Like how am I meant to know if the mileage is decent for the year or if it's worth buying?

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Type the number plate into there and get an idea of how many miles it has done in each year and what sort of issues had occurred on each MOT. If it is new and hasn't yet had an MOT then divide the mileage by age and get an average of miles per year and see if it's reasonable. But always remember, a bike with high mileage but very few owners doesn't always mean its worse than one with low mileage but a lot of owners.

Robfowler
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:55 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Ride this weekend Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Rob here. I was hoping I could get some advice from you, I'm looking into buying a small cheap bike that would give me cheap insurance but still run nicely. I'm thinking the Motorbike Honda 200, however I do have some doubts after doing some research. However I did find a respectable one for rent on Fat Lama and was thinking it was worth giving it a test run before purchasing.

What do you think? Is it not worth me even pursuing, any advice greatly appreaciated. Link below if you want to see what the possible rental bike looks like.

Best regards,

Rob

https://fatlama.com/rentals/london/hire-motorbike-honda-200-cd-classic-retrocaferacer-16343018

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tritey, but I'll play. What license do you have?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Ride this weekend Reply with quote

Robfowler wrote:
Hey Guys,
Rob here. I was hoping I could get some advice from you, I'm looking into buying a small cheap bike that would give me cheap insurance but still run nicely. I'm thinking the Motorbike Honda 200, however I do have some doubts after doing some research. However I did find a respectable one for rent on Fat Lama and was thinking it was worth giving it a test run before purchasing.

What do you think? Is it not worth me even pursuing, any advice greatly appreaciated. Link below if you want to see what the possible rental bike looks like.

Best regards,

Rob

https://fatlama.com/rentals/london/hire-motorbike-honda-200-cd-classic-retrocaferacer-16343018

Call me Mr Sceptical, but i'm going to say that this is a sly little spam post, marketing fat lama? I may be wrong, probably wrong. but spidey senses are tingling. Thinking

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Ride this weekend Reply with quote

Nathan0834 wrote:
Call me Mr Sceptical, but i'm going to say that this is a sly little spam post, marketing fat lama? I may be wrong, probably wrong. but spidey senses are tingling. Thinking

It could be, but you'd have to be especially stupid to think renting out a 200cc is a good idea. As you need a full licence to ride a 200, why would you... (off-road bikes excluded)...
It does sound to me like a newbie that doesn't understand he'll do his full training on a 500cc+ bike so a 200cc will be pretty much zero interest after that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or hipster promoting hipster bike rental... no way would I pay £100 to rent that.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Or hipster promoting hipster bike rental... no way would I pay £100 to rent that.

With a full licence and options like these https://www.superbikerental.co.uk/retro-classic-motorbike-rental.php then paying more than £25 for a 200cc bike seems dumb to me...

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:41 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattxd wrote:

I've checked insurance, managed to get sinnis for around 1400 annual with third party fire and theft excess of £100
Thats not cheap insurance, that is horrific. Supermoto's always cost silly money to insure though because they appeal to bak lyf scum more.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1