BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"Not a natural biker"- question about brakes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest I heard was rear brake 20mph and under. I thought that was a bit fast tbh - but I do get why it can be useful to acquire the habit of using the rear as a "halting" brake. Firstly it looks neat - loads better than front forks compressing unnecessarily. Secondly, it's great for places like forecourts where there can be diesel or for back lane junctions strewn with grit, etc. etc. Drawing to a stop on the rear brake when those conditions prevail will always be less likely to result in a drop. And doing it as a matter of course may not be strictly necessary - but if it ingrains the habit, that suggests you're more likely to be doing the right thing on that one occasion where it really matters.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:53 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Front brake when slowing down from 70mph-30mph ish. back brake from 25mph to stop.

[3... 2...]

for your mod one [...] use the front brake for the emergency [from 31mph to] stop (don't use back brake or you risk locking up)

Did you even pause for breath before contradicting yourself?

If it's better to use the front brake under test conditions with DVSA Derek's beady eyes on you, why on earth wouldn't you do it in the real world?

Using the front brake to change from any speed to any other speed, including zero, is absolutely fine.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
In the dry -

Front brake when slowing down from 70mph-30mph ish. back brake from 25mph to stop.

Like others have said if you're going normal speeds you wont ever need to grab the brakes. a slight squeeze of the front brake will do an impressive amount of braking even from 60mph.

for your mod one use/drag back brake on all the slow stuff (slalom, U-turn, slow ride, fig 8 etc. , and then use the front brake for the emergency stop (don't use back brake or you risk locking up)

just my two cents - source - I did this 4 months ago

What happens if you need to go from 30+ to zero? Again not saying my style's right, or even advisable just pointing out it can be done differently. FWIW I wore the rear brakes out on my 125 in no time at all practising the drag technique, you will go through pads more quickly doing that.

angryjonny wrote:
I use the rear more than I should. I've locked it up a few times and stayed upright. The same wouldn't have happened if I'd locked the front.

Would you have locked the front in the same situation though?

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
angryjonny wrote:
I use the rear more than I should. I've locked it up a few times and stayed upright. The same wouldn't have happened if I'd locked the front.

Would you have locked the front in the same situation though?

On the occasion that immediately springs to mind; wet road, braking for rapidly stopping traffic, A316 Chiswick, yes possibly. I know people who have, in similar conditions.

You're potentially more likely to lock the rear if you slam on both brakes than if you just slam on the rear, as the weight of the bike is thrown forwards. All bets are off in rain, diesel, gravel, "SLOW" written in white paint etc etc.

I'm sure this is clarifying everything for OP.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

Laughing I was just thinking that. Bikers do seem to have very different styles, I wonder if it's because unless you went straight for DAS training, you sort of had to work it out for yourself.

FWIW even on tyres I didn't think were particularly good in the wet, I was always surprised how much front brake I could use. I think I've only once used the rear on its own, when I went into a corner too fast in the wet, but that was more a case of I've got to try and make this corner.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:44 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

No replies since the great wall of teff was posted. Sad

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
angryjonny wrote:

Maybe she's gone to space to see if it's visible from there*

*it is

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:24 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
angryjonny wrote:

It happened right in front of us and nobody stepped in or lifted a finger to help her.

https://i.imgur.com/jGTQeuK.gif

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:07 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't low speed (under 10 mph) when you are most likely to be taking your feet on and off the pegs because you are either stopping or starting and so trying to use the rear brake would be a tad awkward?

SomersetWolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:38 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

I'm still here! Have read and re-read all posts (yes, even Tef's which in part was patronising, in its entirety was verbose and overall even though I'm sure it was well-meaning, complicated the issue) and I have to say, I'm not that much clearer except that I feel I need to use the back brake more than I have thus far.

I still haven't ridden the verydearo - still laughing at that name as I eat my beans on toast for the third night running.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Isn't low speed (under 10 mph) when you are most likely to be taking your feet on and off the pegs because you are either stopping or starting and so trying to use the rear brake would be a tad awkward?

You only need to put both feet down if you ride an aircraft carrier Wink

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
either stopping or starting and so trying to use the rear brake would be a tad awkward?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hm3b0qnc5psposp/jcwtf.png?raw=1

Are you really short or something?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:12 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SomersetWolf wrote:

I still haven't ridden the verydearo - still laughing at that name as I eat my beans on toast for the third night running.

If you are in trowbridge still and you want your bike moved to somewhere quiet to practice, give me a shout and I'm happy to assist.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:18 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
tl;dr post

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/55b66b3de4b0019200ab5e9a/55b9b4c1e4b0b901a5df9161/55bbc6b3e4b01afc980f58dd/1438369480653/Bored+to+Death.jpg?format=2500w

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
4,796 Words.
25,830 Characters.
82 Sentences.
66 Paragraphs.

Reading time 17 mins 26 sec
Speaking time 26 mins 38 sec

Laughing

4,796 words could be typed in less than an hour by typing faster than 80 words per minute. Thumbs Up

Ste - does your mother know you do this? Laughing

I use the rear only (with clutch control) at low speeds, to finesse or tighten a turn, or to finish myself off when cumming to a complete stop. Shocked Twisted Evil

I find medium/hard front brake while steering at low speeds can compress the forks and unsettle the bike.

Both brakes are to be used for serious stopping powah, especially in a straight line but be ready to release at either end if you feel it locking up.

Brakes are not on/off switches, get a good feel of them in a secluded spot when no-one is looking. Shocked

Alas, you're only going to know how any of the spaff above and below translates in real life when you try it out. Avoid braking hard on gravel and wet diesel/manhole covers and you'll mostly be OK. This requires some planning ahead, in an emergency none of this will help as instinct will kick in. This is where your prior muscle memory built up from previous practice may help. Go out and play.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:29 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Re: "Not a natural biker"- question about brakes Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Can we see a picture of [your bike] with a tin of custard, packet of bacon and/or fish fingers on it, please.

Beans would be an acceptable alternative Feasty.

Asking because of reasons.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:41 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

Are you really short or something?

I make petalbriefs look normal sized.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
get a good feel of them in a secluded spot when no-one is looking. Shocked

I think that's what Nobby had in mind with his offer Wink

SomersetWolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:29 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it was amazing Very Happy Went to a big car park and spent some time getting a feel for my bike and doing lots of braking and it felt so much better than doing my CBT because I just let myself feel how it all felt naturally without that fear that the instructor would stop me at any time.

Then after a couple of hours we headed out on some quiet roads (boyfriend covered my arse so I could concentrate on my front Razz Razz ) and yes there were a few crunchy gear changes and I had to do an impromptu hill start when I stopped about a county-width from the line of a junction and couldn't see properly! Himself said I had nothing to worry about as my riding was fine, I just had to conquer my fears. But for the first time out, it was pretty damn special.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:36 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SomersetWolf wrote:
And it was amazing Very Happy Went to a big car park and spent some time getting a feel for my bike and doing lots of braking and it felt so much better than doing my CBT because I just let myself feel how it all felt naturally without that fear that the instructor would stop me at any time.

Then after a couple of hours we headed out on some quiet roads (boyfriend covered my arse so I could concentrate on my front Razz Razz ) and yes there were a few crunchy gear changes and I had to do an impromptu hill start when I stopped about a county-width from the line of a junction and couldn't see properly! Himself said I had nothing to worry about as my riding was fine, I just had to conquer my fears. But for the first time out, it was pretty damn special.

Well done you Thumbs Up

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SomersetWolf wrote:
it was pretty damn special.

Cool

Top skills. Good timing as well, get to build up confidence while the conditions are mega over the next 4 months.

........ I don't think you went out at all. You just posted this update so the "helpful advice" would stop Laughing
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:02 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Re: "Not a natural biker"- question about brakes Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
SomersetWolf wrote:
boyfriend says - you know the type, been riding bikes since the age of 7
My question is this! Brakes... I'd be very appreciative.

And the reason you aren't asking your boyfriend?
I'm sure you could show him your appreciation better than you can on a forum.

BF has probably tried and given up,

isnt braking just like riding a push bike ?

SomersetWolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:03 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
SomersetWolf wrote:
it was pretty damn special.

Cool

Top skills. Good timing as well, get to build up confidence while the conditions are mega over the next 4 months.

........ I don't think you went out at all. You just posted this update so the "helpful advice" would stop Laughing

I've been out twice now! Today I went out on my own, went to an empty car park, got back into the swing of it all. Then leaving the car park I dropped it as I panicked at a junction (completely empty junction) it but I'm pleased I did because it kind of made me realise that I was being a div. Photo from yesterday to prove I really did it!!

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SomersetWolf wrote:
boyfriend covered my arse so I could concentrate on my front

I cant believe this was missed!

Shame on you BCF.
Laughing Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4